02-23-2018, 09:52 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Caveat; I have never used a high end English cream so view my comments in whatever context you wish. As a soap-only shaver my only frame of reference with creams is with various less luxurious and ”pricey” products that while providing serviceable shaves, failed to yield results comparable to what I achieved with the ASW English cream.

That said, I decided to take the plunge with a tub of the Charcoal. My first observation before even removing the lid was, “this is a Big Tub.” Right away, I felt it was a good value strictly on size alone. I didn’t realize how sizeable an amount six ounces of shave cream is. So I opened the lid. Yikes! It really is grey! Oh... wait, that’s kind of good looking, in a grey sort of way... kewl =) Today’s brush, btw, was a Semogue 2013 SE olivewood. This little brush doesn’t see much active duty, so it was a particular treat, combined with my first foray into the world of deluxe shave creams. Anyway, I scooped a forefingertip’s worth of the cream, placed it on the knot, and began face lathering. First though, before even applying the cream to my beard, I noticed how light a fragrance this was. As a novice when it comes to scented products I won’t even attempt to describe the scent profile of the cream, and will leave that to others far more qualified. I will say that the scent was very light and pleasant throughout the shave. It was enjoyable, whatever that means. The texture of the cream in the tub was dense yet somehow “fluffy.” It went on grey. As I lathered and added more water it turned white. Not a pure, pure white, but white with perhaps a hint of “shade.” Maybe I scooped too much cream, but I don’t think so, but it seemed like the cream took a whole lot of water. The resulting lather was super slick. Slicker than most soaps, including LPL Oud-Santal, which imo is about the slickest soap I’ve tried. Must get to Glide someday, but this isn’t about that. A two pass, no touch up shave yielded a near perfect bbs shave with an iKon Shavecraft short comb and a fresh IP.

Regarding face feel. The shave was smooth as can be expected with any top tier soap. The remarkable difference for me was the slickness, which was something I’ve never experienced before with any cream, let alone many soaps. Post shave face feel may be somewhat skewed because I also used Dickinson’s witch hazel and shea butter, however I can tell you now, some 13 hours after shaving, that my skin still feels “nourished,” as corny as that sounds. I think for the next week or so I’ll alternate between this and a soap. Cream soap. Cream soap. Will post here again in two weeks with further observations, and look forward to reading of others’experiences.

8 2,771
 02-24-2018, 05:39 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Sounds like a great experience Charlie! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

64 5,074
 02-24-2018, 06:58 AM
User Info
Thanks for a good and useful report Charlie.

52 7,704
 02-24-2018, 07:19 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(02-24-2018, 05:39 AM)eengler Wrote: Sounds like a great experience Charlie! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

(02-24-2018, 06:58 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Thanks for a good and useful report Charlie.

My pleasure, gents - and if you don’t mind me saying so, I heartily recommend that you try one of these creams if you haven’t already.

8 2,771