02-15-2018, 12:54 PM
  • vsp
User Info
On a separate note -

1. Semogues - Too floppy in general, too much of a bear to lather with, not very enjoyable in use. The two notable exceptions are the Semogue 2000 and the Semogue SOC, but I still prefer the Omegas
2. Zenith - Now we are getting closer to what I prefer, but still too floppy (though not as much as the Semogues) and more of a shedding type of brush.

Note - all opinions expressed are mine and reflect my experience. They may or may not apply generally. YMMV  :-)

-vsp

0 11
 02-15-2018, 01:30 PM
User Info
(02-15-2018, 12:54 PM)vsp Wrote: On a separate note -

1. Semogues - Too floppy in general, too much of a bear to lather with, not very enjoyable in use. The two notable exceptions are the Semogue 2000 and the Semogue SOC, but I still prefer the Omegas
2. Zenith - Now we are getting closer to what I prefer, but still too floppy (though not as much as the Semogues) and more of a shedding type of brush.

Note - all opinions expressed are mine and reflect my experience. They may or may not apply generally. YMMV  :-)

-vsp

Welcome to TSN vsp.  When you have a chance, please post in the Introductions section, so our members can give you a proper welcome.

By the way, I've been trying a Zenith boar and will be posting my thoughts in the Brushes section.

51 7,542
 02-15-2018, 05:25 PM
User Info

-vsp

Thanks for your thoughts. I am interested in the solid acrylic handle of the 21762.

5 1,742
 02-15-2018, 05:44 PM
  • vsp
User Info
(02-15-2018, 01:30 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Welcome to TSN vsp.  When you have a chance, please post in the Introductions section, so our members can give you a proper welcome.

By the way, I've been trying a Zenith boar and will be posting my thoughts in the Brushes section.

Thank you.

I look forward to your impressions of the Zenith boar. I have used a few too, but as I mentioned a couple of posts earlier, my vote for a winner would be for the Omega family. 
That said, the Zenith boars are excellent too. I believe the Stirling boar has a Zenith knot too, but I don't have a definitive reference for that.

In general, once broken in, I find that boar brushes can absolutely compete with "medium-end" badger brushes on softness, and provide an immense amount of backbone and scrub which I enjoy as a face-latherer. I have used lots of boars, synthetics and a few silvertip badger brushes (but not the really expensive ones)

As a fan of boar brushes, and having used and enjoyed quite a few, I just had to jump in and participate in this thread :-)

0 11
 02-15-2018, 05:49 PM
User Info
What's nice about boar brushes is that they don't usually cost much to try so it's tempting to try so many.

5 1,742
 02-15-2018, 05:50 PM
  • vsp
User Info
(02-15-2018, 05:25 PM)shave/brush Wrote:  
Thanks for your thoughts. I am interested in the solid acrylic handle of the 21762.

The handle definitely makes it one of the better Omega brushes to use. Regarding the floppiness and sheer size and spread of the knot, you will find that holding it Italian-barber style will make it more manoeuverable and easier to wield. 

If you haven't already, don't forget to use the "fast break-in" method and you will have a broken-in brush in a matter of 2 to 3 days.

I hope you enjoy your 21762. Do let us know your impressions of it.

-vsp

0 11
 02-15-2018, 05:52 PM
  • vsp
User Info
(02-15-2018, 05:49 PM)shave/brush Wrote: What's nice about boar brushes is that they don't usually cost much to try so it's tempting to try so many.

Exactly .....

Which is how I ended up trying so many and am sort of in trouble with the wife for the sheer space my collection takes up  Biggrin

0 11
 02-15-2018, 11:06 PM
User Info
(02-15-2018, 05:50 PM)vsp Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 05:25 PM)shave/brush Wrote:  

The handle definitely makes it one of the better Omega brushes to use. Regarding the floppiness and sheer size and spread of the knot, you will find that holding it Italian-barber style will make it more manoeuverable and easier to wield. 

If you haven't already, don't forget to use the "fast break-in" method and you will have a broken-in brush in a matter of 2 to 3 days.

I hope you enjoy your 21762. Do let us know your impressions of it.

-vsp
Can you please explain what the What is the fast break in method
Thanks so much

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

24 738
 02-16-2018, 02:05 PM
  • vsp
User Info
(02-15-2018, 11:06 PM)rawfox1 Wrote: Can you please explain what the What is the fast break in method
Thanks so much

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Basically, put your boar brush in a glass of water in the fridge overnight or during the day. Wring it out (with appropriate love and care for the knot Smile ) and dry it on a clean dry towel with repeated wipes and let it dry in the open for 12 hours - that makes it one day of timeline. Repeat once or twice more for a fast break-in time of around 2 or 3 days

Hope that helps

-vsp

0 11
 02-16-2018, 02:51 PM
User Info
Gentlemen, why the rush to break in your new boars?  For me, part of the enjoyment of a new boar brush is the slow process of breaking it in.  I just use mine and let them break in gradually.

51 7,542
 02-16-2018, 03:14 PM
User Info

-vsp

I completely agree with your valuation of Semogue and Zenith. My Zenith is set very low so not that floppy but it sheds like crazy. 
Gotta try one of those Omega 10065 I considered at some point and then forgot.

8 1,354
 02-16-2018, 03:17 PM
  • vsp
User Info
(02-16-2018, 02:51 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Gentlemen, why the rush to break in your new boars?  For me, part of the enjoyment of a new boar brush is the slow process of breaking it in.  I just use mine and let them break in gradually.

Definitely a valid viewpoint, and would work splendidly if I were to use one boar brush over a reasonably long duration - say a few weeks - but as I mentioned earlier, I was comparing _many_ boar brushes, and having them come quickly to their ideal state (or near it) was an extremely desirable outcome. 

Hence, discovering the Youtube video I linked earlier was definitely a bonus.

If one wants to break in their boar brush with regular use, then just use it regularly. If however, one is impatient as I was, then having a "fast" method to break in a boar brush is a good option. Also, for the gentleman earlier in this thread who seemed to be saying he was dissatisfied with his 21762 despite using it multiple times because it still felt pokey, having a "fast" method would also help him evaluate his 21762 in a near-ideal state quickly.

As usual, to each their own - both options are available, you don't have to wait if you don't want to.

-vsp

0 11
 02-16-2018, 03:24 PM
  • vsp
User Info
(02-16-2018, 03:14 PM)lloydrm Wrote:

-vsp

I completely agree with your valuation of Semogue and Zenith. My Zenith is set very low so not that floppy but it sheds like crazy. 
Gotta try one of those Omega 10065 I considered at some point and then forgot.

You will enjoy it I assure you. More economical in its use of soap than the Pro Omega models, a nice amount of backbone and extremely soft once broken in. What's not to like? :-)

0 11
 02-17-2018, 09:43 AM
  • vsp
User Info
So - I brought out my 21762 today and shaved with it - well used it in my shave Rolleyes . I thought I would post fresh impressions to help @shave/brush with his decision to purchase or with his use if he has already bought it.

1. The handle is truly a joy in use. Absolutely beautiful and really ergonomic and easy on the hands
2. The knot is a little loosely packed and high in loft, so to avoid any issues with too much splay or with the lather dissipating in the knot, I would suggest the following
  2a. Don't soak it for too long before use. A couple of minutes, 5 tops and it should be good to go
  2b. Load the brush heavily. I primarily use soaps, so I would say once you think it's loaded and the bristles are clumping together, add a dribble of water on top of the soap and keep loading. Then it becomes really sopping heavy with proto-lather and splays a little bit less in use. I suppose the equivalent advice for creams would be to just use more cream than you usually do.
  2c. There isn't really any way to avoid going all Italian barber on this one. Don't hesitate to choke up with your fingers on the base of the knot to give it a little bit lower loft and also to shape the splay of the knot to your liking while face lathering. Again, the magnificently designed handle does facilitate this use too.
  2d. Maybe a bowl lather would also be in order when using this particular brush. I sort of did a hybrid bowl/face lather today.
3. I thought this brush was well broken in (I had given it the "fast" treatment once before with other brushes), but I don't remember using it afterwards. This must have been the first time. I too did notice that it was slightly "pokey" when face lathering. So, guess what - it's back in the tank in the fridge for the "fast" break-in treatment. Repeat as necessary, remember?

So, @shave/brush, good luck to you in your use of this great brush from Omega (there are others I prefer, though) and do let us know your impressions as well

0 11
 02-17-2018, 11:37 AM
User Info
I still haven't pulled the trigger yet on this brush because I just got a Thater Premium Boar which I really like. But I still think I am going to try this one which is suppose to be Omega's best one. (for quality built.)
BTW I soak all my boar brushes for about 2 minutes in warm water. That soaks them quite well.

5 1,742