01-30-2018, 08:58 PM
User Info
I noticed on TVB that the Haslinger was "New 2017 formula" so I reached out to the manufacturer and heard back from the owner. Here is the e-mail.

Quote:Hello Mike,

Yes, we have eliminated tallow from our shaving soaps. I have been working on a new recipe for a long time since I wanted to keep in line with my grandfather's philosophy when he founded the company, of producing plant based cosmetics. The shaving soaps were the only products on our catalog that did not keep up with this philosophy. After much research I succeeded in producing a vegetable based soap that performs just as well as our previous tallow soaps.

Before releasing the newly formulated shaving soaps, we sent blind tests to our biggest distributers with the old tallow soap and the new vegetable soap, and most could not tell the difference. Two preferred the vegetable soap, and only one preferred the tallow soap, but even they wrote, that the difference is very little. All in all, the response was positive.

I am quite proud of this (especially because I got told by some other soap producers, that they tried to copy our soap with just plant based oils, but were never able to succeed), and i hope that my customers will agree that performance has not been jeopardized. I know that tallow is special for shaving soaps but I hope my customers will see that it is possible to achieve the same performance without tallow.

Thank you for using Haslinger!

Best Regards,
Andreas Haslinger

I have not tried it yet, but being such a huge fan of the old formula, I'm wary. And considering that with most shave soaps, tallow works better for me, I'm sad.

6 856
 01-30-2018, 10:16 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I ordered 3 pucks from TVB when their site still listed the tallow pucks.  I received 3 non-tallow pucks instead. Sad
Not happy.
I gave away two pucks but I still have the third (grated into a tub).  I've only used it twice, but you can have it for the cost of shipping if you want to try it.  Just send me a PM.
I didn't like it.

48 1,988
 01-31-2018, 04:09 AM
User Info
A lot of guys like the Haslinger tallow formula, so it'll be interesting to see how the market reacts to this change.

51 6,797
 01-31-2018, 04:19 AM
User Info
If they've gone all veggie, I guess that means no more Schafmilch or lanolin in their soaps either.

8 91
 01-31-2018, 04:25 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Why mess with a good thing?  I read the email, and I understand why they did it, but still...  I can think of a few other soap makers that changed to non-tallow and they also claimed the soap was just as good as the original, if not better.

9 1,569
 01-31-2018, 07:19 AM
User Info
I've not tried the new formula for myself but I have heard numerous favorable reports from individuals on other forums.  These reports come from individuals who I know, know their soaps and not single use reviewers!  
Edit: I am not implying that Erik's opinion that the new formula doesn't measure up isn't valid, as I consider Erik a knowledgable member.  Simply pointing out that there are additionally some people who have great experience with soaps giving the new formula favorable reviews.

75 2,354
 01-31-2018, 08:06 AM
User Info
I agree with all.  I own three Haslinger soap and I believe they are great.  Anyone using the new formula please keep us informed of your opinion.

0 268
 01-31-2018, 10:59 AM
User Info
(01-30-2018, 10:16 PM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: I ordered 3 pucks from TVB when their site still listed the tallow pucks.  I received 3 non-tallow pucks instead. Sad
Not happy.
I gave away two pucks but I still have the third (grated into a tub).  I've only used it twice, but you can have it for the cost of shipping if you want to try it.  Just send me a PM.
I didn't like it.

Same case here, but with two pucks. I have not tried the old formula but have heard it was great. This one is not bad but didn't get me excited at all. I consider it a good soap, but I have tried better vegetal based soaps,  the ones made by Elena "By Luna" over here coming to mind first.  I find they come in a convenient format that makes them very suitable for travel use, and that's how I will basically use them. If I had to point out their best feature, I'd say ease of lathering and post shave.

0 104
 01-31-2018, 11:40 AM
User Info
I have a couple of the new soaps (vegan). Compared to the tallow it lacks in slickness is not as creamy and my face felt quite a bit drier post shave. A would rate this as a average veg soap. I'm really going to miss my Haslinger tallow when it's gone!

0 99
 01-31-2018, 12:16 PM
User Info
I might try it now.

0 246
 01-31-2018, 12:30 PM
User Info
I was pretty surprised when I heard the news. 

Have been using the tallow Haslingers for a couple of years so I know it pretty well. The new one lathers easier but I didn't have a problem lathering the tallow version. Used them both back to back a couple weeks ago and the main difference is the new is lighter and airier and dries out pretty quickly while shaving. I never found the tallow all that slick anyhow and the new one is about the same. I'd say post shave is a wash but if pressed I'd give the edge to the tallow. 

It's sad but it's been my experience when the European companies reformulate it's never as good as the original.

1 173
 01-31-2018, 01:19 PM
User Info
I'm sticking with the Tallow - Maggard's still has the Tallow in stock (just ordered two pucks).

54 1,219
 02-06-2018, 10:07 AM
User Info
I just received a puck of their new formula.  

Haven't used it yet but boy is that a small puck.

0 11
 02-06-2018, 10:21 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Knowing how everyone seems to value nice scents (often more than performance), I never understood why anyone uses Haslinger soaps in this day and age. I had three or four of theirs including the sheep milk, and scents were all artificial and terrible, and the performance sub-par IME. My skin was always in bad shape after using their soaps.

64 3,135
 02-06-2018, 08:31 PM
User Info
(02-06-2018, 10:07 AM)Imcnok Wrote: I just received a puck of their new formula.  

Haven't used it yet but boy is that a small puck.

It has always been 2oz/60g, approximately, half of what normal pucks, usually are, which is 4oz/120g.   Shy

83 21,151
 02-07-2018, 07:45 AM
User Info
(02-06-2018, 10:21 AM)Nero Wrote: Knowing how everyone seems to value nice scents (often more than performance), I never understood why anyone uses Haslinger soaps in this day and age. I had three or four of theirs including the sheep milk, and scents were all artificial and terrible, and the performance sub-par IME. My skin was always in bad shape after using their soaps.

Agree. The coconut tallow soap also burned my skin. My den is and will remain void of Haslinger.

40 4,070
 02-08-2018, 08:18 AM
User Info
(02-07-2018, 07:45 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 10:21 AM)Nero Wrote: Knowing how everyone seems to value nice scents (often more than performance), I never understood why anyone uses Haslinger soaps in this day and age. I had three or four of theirs including the sheep milk, and scents were all artificial and terrible, and the performance sub-par IME. My skin was always in bad shape after using their soaps.

Agree. The coconut tallow soap also burned my skin. My den is and will remain void of Haslinger.

I've always had good luck with the performance of Haslinger soaps but agree that the scents have never spoken to me.   That being said, I don't think I have particularly sensitive skin though.  I agree with both of you, that this is no great loss, because there are lots of other great soaps to use.

75 2,354
 02-12-2018, 07:47 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
I believe that one should look for a good soap or cream, not one that has or doesn't have one particular ingredient as a 'magic bullet'. Case in point, almost no creams have tallow (one of Vitos does) yet at least as far as performance goes, it's very difficult to beat AdP, ABC, CF, I Coloniali Rhubarb, etc and I would add SNM though I've never used it not being a menthol tobacco person. JMO.

Cheers, Steve

7 553