02-03-2018, 02:49 PM
User Info
Seen a bunch of posts saying Finest is a combination of pure/silvertip.  Anyone ever ordered a shavemac knot in another combination?  

As far as sizing of shavemacs, any benefit to using their stock brushes as a guide for custom orders or should you just stick with personal preferences?

0 11
 02-03-2018, 03:22 PM
User Info
Their stock sizes are a good starting place for someone new to shaving brushes.  Once you gain experience and develop preferences, you can go with whatever knot diameter and loft you like.

51 7,403
 02-04-2018, 08:36 AM
User Info
(02-03-2018, 02:49 PM)cobalt21 Wrote: Seen a bunch of posts saying Finest is a combination of pure/silvertip.  Anyone ever ordered a shavemac knot in another combination?  

As far as sizing of shavemacs, any benefit to using their stock brushes as a guide for custom orders or should you just stick with personal preferences?

Shavemac finest is a mix of approx 65-70% of their super soft standard silvertip with the remainder being their highest quality pure to give the knot backbone. It is in my opinion one of the best hair mixes for the money. It is very consistent, at least for the last nine years I am using this hair quality. I highly recommend this for a first Shavemac brush when money is an issue.

0 190
 02-04-2018, 12:41 PM
User Info
(02-04-2018, 08:36 AM)Rudy Vey Wrote:
(02-03-2018, 02:49 PM)cobalt21 Wrote: Seen a bunch of posts saying Finest is a combination of pure/silvertip.  Anyone ever ordered a shavemac knot in another combination?  

Shavemac finest is a mix of approx 65-70% of their super soft standard silvertip with the remainder being their highest quality pure to give the knot backbone. It is in my opinion one of the best hair mixes for the money. It is very consistent, at least for the last nine years I am using this hair quality. I highly recommend this for a first Shavemac brush when money is an issue.

ever seen someone mix 2/3 band? If it works for finest why not others?

0 11
 02-06-2018, 09:05 AM
User Info
Early on I had a Semogue with the boar and badger mixed hair. In theory it would have good backbone and soft tips but in reality it was very stiff and scratchy. I'd worry that the two and three band mix would end up somehow being mushy or scratchy.

The only finest knot I tried wasn't too far from silvertip, but it was not a very dense knot and it was a fan shaped brush so it was not satisfying to use. I had a three band silvertip fan that was much denser and more enjoyable. I think the finest knot, like the silvertip, is best suited to a bulb shape, especially in a bigger knot. 

Over the years I've had a TON of brushes including a lot of custom Shavemacs. Here's some of my favorites:

Two band silvertip fans are great, soft tips and big face feel with good backbone. I've had a few sizes but my favorite was 24x50 and second favorite was 22x46.

Two band bulbs are also great, but you will want a big knot unless you want a very compact face feel. The short lofts irritated my skin, including some Thaters that measured about 24x52. With bulbs you can go big and I've had as big as 26x58. That was a massive brush but super soft. I would stick with 24x54 to 26x56. Add 2mm if you want super soft or take away 2mm if you want really scrubby and stiff.

Three band fans can be tricky as they don't naturally have a lot of backbone. If you go with one, try and get it extra dense. Err on the side of a bigger knot with a lower loft, like a 24x46 or 26x48.

Three band bulbs are also great. Again, I would go with a bit bigger knot because the hair is not as thick. I've got one that's around 22x50 which feels a bit small (good for one pass), but 24x52 and 26x54 are good sizes. Those are the same as stock Thater 4125 sizes by the way.

I've only had one D01 knot and I didn't like it. Not enough bloom and too scratchy. Save some money and go with a bigger silvertip knot.

Last thing, don't assume the ratio of knot to loft always holds true. I've made some mistakes that way. If you shrink the knot size, don't go too far down in loft...like a two band fan that feels great at 24x48 might be too stiff at 20x40 (I'd probably go 20x44). And a two band fan at 24x48 if you went up to 28x56 would be too floppy.

5 232