09-01-2012, 08:07 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
How unscented is the MdC unscented? I really dislike the scent of MdC but must admit it's a fine soap. I purchased a jar of the scented and sold 3/4 of it. The little bit I have remaining has improved (lost a lot of it's scent). What could I expect from the unscented?

12 743
 09-01-2012, 08:26 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The unscented still has some scent in it but not as strong as the scented.

I have the scented in one of their presentation glass containers, and since you cannot seal it tight, the scent has faded rapidly. I think being sealed up in one of those glass jars helps makes the scent intensify.

My next purchase from them will be the scented in the wooden bowl.

I'm getting obsessed with this soap. I could see myself using this every day with no problems at all.

173 23,499
 09-01-2012, 08:42 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Quote:I'm getting obsessed with this soap. I could see myself using this every day with no problems at all.
I agree, it's great stuff and probably the best shaving soap I've used but I really dislike the scent.

12 743
 09-01-2012, 08:45 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Leave the lid off and let it set by an open window for a few days.

173 23,499
 09-01-2012, 10:14 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
According to my friend du212 , its not that unscented , so I dont know what to tell you.
Leave it without the lid for a couple days and Johnny have pointed.

86 7,123
 09-01-2012, 01:33 PM
User Info
Agree, regrettably with the above. I love the scent! And with no lid that wonderful aroma in my sample was gone in about two days!!

3 543
 09-01-2012, 02:37 PM
User Info
i have 2 full jars of scented and a travel of unscented.

right now, i'm using the unscented transplanted into an empty scented jar which i cleaned.

the unscented is earthy, raw, dirty like smell to it. it's not the most pleasant smell and far from scent free.

it's unscented, but has the natural scent of the ingredients.

like others have said, leave it open, spread it out thing on something to air out (like parchement or wax paper to give maxium surface exposure) and give it some fresh air to see if the scent will go away.

i would not purchase the unscented or recommend it based on scent.

the scented on the other hand, is one of my favorite.

8 2,718
 09-01-2012, 02:51 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I fully trust Bruce on this topic. He's the best experience on the forum for MdC.

Thanks Bruce.

47 1,378
 09-01-2012, 03:08 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Quote:the unscented is earthy, raw, dirty like smell to it.
Seriously, I might like that. Kind of sounds like vetever. So it smells nothing like the scented version. Is that correct?

12 743
 09-01-2012, 03:33 PM
User Info
(09-01-2012, 03:08 PM)oscar11 Wrote:
Seriously, I might like that. Kind of sounds like vetever. So it smells nothing like the scented version. Is that correct?

to my nose, it is nothing like the scented.

i'll let my wife and kids give it the sniff test for a true, no holds barred scent descriptions. kids are 5 & 7, so they may come up with "wet dog", but i'll let you know.

8 2,718
 09-01-2012, 03:53 PM
User Info
(09-01-2012, 03:33 PM)Bruce Wrote:
(09-01-2012, 03:08 PM)oscar11 Wrote:

to my nose, it is nothing like the scented.

i'll let my wife and kids give it the sniff test for a true, no holds barred scent descriptions. kids are 5 & 7, so they may come up with "wet dog", but i'll let you know.

Bruce,
I love the smell of wet dog. If that's what it smells like, then I'm ordering it.
oake

5 298
 09-01-2012, 05:42 PM
User Info
Johnny, i knew you would love it. Finally, letting go of your other soaps. This will help alleviate your dry skin. Enjoy.

75 20,883
 09-02-2012, 08:29 AM
User Info
so here the scoop. i gave the family the "unscented" sniff test, all separate, no one heard the others say what their thoughts were.

Wife - Old Fashioned Soap, soap smell
7y old boy - Wood - Don't really like it
5y old boy - Gross

I have a body bar of Fougere by MdC, came as sample with my scented. When i sniff it, to my nose at least, it smells a lot like the "unscented shave soap". not exact, but it's the closest I can compare to it in my den.

There is a petition on B&B and MdC is apparently taking it seriously to get an MdC Fougere Shave Soap on the market. See here so that may be an option for you if you can wait and see if it comes to market.

hope that helps.

8 2,718
 09-02-2012, 09:11 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Thanks, Bruce. Gross, I was kind of expecting that. I guess the important thing for me is that it doesn't smell like the scented version.

12 743
 09-02-2012, 09:20 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Bruce,

Is the Fougere soap you speak of the small square sample of light tan soap they enclose with your order. When I ordered my scented MdC, one of these small samples was in the package, but there was nothing in there to tell me what it was. I really cannot describe the scent, other than to say it smells like soap.

173 23,499
 09-02-2012, 09:26 AM
User Info
Yup. I got 2 samples, the Fougere and one called Fuel (hard to read).

The Fuel is dark Brn. The Fougere is light Brn.

To me, the Fuel smells better of the two, but neither are out of this world. I still like Scented the best
(09-02-2012, 09:20 AM)Johnny Wrote: Bruce,

Is the Fougere soap you speak of the small square sample of light tan soap they enclose with your order. When I ordered my scented MdC, one of these small samples was in the package, but there was nothing in there to tell me what it was. I really cannot describe the scent, other than to say it smells like soap.

Attached Files Image(s)

8 2,718
 09-02-2012, 10:46 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Bruce,

I went digging in the peanuts that were in the box my MdC was shipped in and found the packing slip. Sure enough, in the hand written thank you, it says +1 sample of Fougere soap.

Now knowing this, I don't understand what everyone over on B&B is so excited about. The scent is okay, but it sure is not anything special.

I like the current version of MdC just fine. Very refreshing.

173 23,499
 09-02-2012, 11:27 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I seem to recall reading somewhere that MdC say to leave their soap open on the countertop, and to only cover the jar if planning to store it for some time. I have a presentation glass container of MdC, which has sat open on my countertop for the last year. Yes, I use it - it just lasts a long time. In fact, I just shaved with it, and I took note that the very pleasant fragrance was still quite there, but not as potent as when it arrived. My point being - if you don't like the scent, don't buy some hoping that leaving it out will make the scent go away. And if you do like the scent, don't worry about losing it by leaving the soap open.

And for those that like the scent of MdC - I highly recommend Myrsol Agua Balsamico as an aftershave that complements MdC very nicely.

Oh, one other unnecessary comment - my wife declared "something smells VERY nice" as she walked into the bedroom while I was shaving today. Yes, the scent of my year old MdC made its way quite nicely into the next room. She very rarely comments on the scent of my products - the only other one I recall receiving a compliment was my Penhaligons English Fern soap.

43 1,690
 09-02-2012, 11:53 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Andrew, thanks for the comment. I also like the MdC just the way it is. I also have one of their nice glass displays. Next I will be getting the wooden bowl.

173 23,499
 09-02-2012, 12:26 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Hi Johnny, I remember when you were debating the purchase of your MdC. I'm so glad to hear it is a winner for you. I, too have contemplated the wooden bowl. Have you seen one yet? I think the pictures on their website make it look very large. In person, it seems smaller than the photos, but it is a perfect size and a very attractive bowl. I'd say the size of a large orange cut in half, if I remember correctly. I ordered one for a friend when I placed my order. He used it daily with very large, soap crushing brushes (32-34mm range, Rooney Finest), and it lasted over 7 months. That's a lot of soap, if you ask me. I may include one in my next order. But I'm also keeping an eye out for one of their other LE bowls or dishes.

43 1,690