02-04-2018, 07:05 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I sometimes pick these brushes up as a by-catch, as it were, but I'm almost accidentally forming a really rather nice little collection of vintage Australian wooden-handled bristle brushes. 

These date from the 1930s and as you can see, each is bound at the top half with string or twine, the principle being that as the twine becomes wet, they tighten, thus holding the bristles more firmly in place. I don't think they provide anything much in the way of grip, but that might be because I, for one, don't hold a brush at the top half.

Some of the lofts are tremendously soft; others coarser. The larger lofts might be horse hair. The individual hairs are sometimes very thick indeed. There are in fact stamps on the handles which I can make out, but only just. These don't show in the images. Each does specify "Sterilized"...which is good.

Anyway, thought you might like the pictures. Enjoy!

[Image: AhvnEAv.jpg]
[Image: khVZwKT.jpg]

0 1,963
 02-04-2018, 07:46 PM
User Info
Very interesting and cool finds Shaun.

51 7,542
 02-04-2018, 10:15 PM
User Info
Very interesting, they almost look like they were made by the user, considering the sheer variation of handles and lofts Smile

3 5,344
 02-04-2018, 10:24 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(02-04-2018, 10:15 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Very interesting, they almost look like they were made by the user, considering the sheer variation of handles and lofts Smile

True enough, however there are advertisements for them in old Australian newspapers, and each has a different stamp. They may have gone out of favour eventually because manufacturing techniques improved and people could afford better brushes. 

Also, these types of brush were probably strongly associated with the anthrax-carrying variety that were imported from Japan years earlier. The examples above were certainly affordable, and varied quite a lot, really, as you mention. As I acquire more of them, I'll add to this thread. Eventually I'll get around to specifying what the manufacturer's stamps on each each say.

0 1,963
 02-05-2018, 07:24 AM
User Info
I would be curious... not that I'm planning on becoming an artisan, but I like the style and they look simple enough to make with the tools I already own.... [Image: thinking-face_1f914.png]

3 5,344