02-05-2018, 04:07 AM
User Info
Dear friends,

I use exclussively the Polsilver Iridium and the Feather.
A friend alerted me to the NOS Personna tungsten DE blade, which are going to be my absolute favorites he says, once I've given them a try and he is sending me one blade to try.
What are your thoughts and experience with this blade and can it really compare to the Feather and Polsilver for smoothness and efficiency?
From what I see on e-bay they are also quite expensive.

0 409
 02-05-2018, 04:58 AM
  • TADIII
  • Gilletter from Home
  • FL & NC
User Info
Don't fall for it - it will break your heart!  It WILL become your absolute favorite and then you won't be able to find them (except on eBay for $2 or $3 PER BLADE).  You will start selling your razors to build up your PayPal balance to bid on forty-year-old blades that have been stored in ways you can't imagine - but you have to have them...
Good luck,
Tom

16 93
 02-05-2018, 05:01 AM
User Info
So, they are that good. A newfound way to spend hard earned cash.

0 409
 02-05-2018, 08:24 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Possibly the best blade ever produced, maybe a slight second to the Wilson Sword "Light Brigade".

4 2,918
 02-05-2018, 08:29 AM
User Info
(02-05-2018, 04:58 AM)TADIII Wrote: Don't fall for it - it will break your heart!  It WILL become your absolute favorite and then you won't be able to find them (except on eBay for $2 or $3 PER BLADE).  You will start selling your razors to build up your PayPal balance to bid on forty-year-old blades that have been stored in ways you can't imagine - but you have to have them...
Good luck,
Tom
Indeed. I just shaved everyday for a month with one Personna 74 Tungsten. So, at $2/blade, that would equal $24/year. Let me try to recall how much I paid for 8 Gillette Fusion Cartridges in 2014...oh yeah, $35.

40 4,083
 02-05-2018, 11:32 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I was lucky enough to find about 15 NOS packages of these a few years ago, 5 I think. I tried them, liked them but to be honest I get equally great shaves from a few modern blades. Sure, they're hard to find and probably must-try for many, but you don't lose much if you won't finally try these legendary blades. Still, there are amazing blades currently in production. We just want to have what seems hard to get. It's the human nature.

49 2,058
 02-05-2018, 11:50 AM
User Info
(02-05-2018, 11:32 AM)nikos.a Wrote: I was lucky enough to find about 15 NOS packages of these a few years ago, 5 I think. I tried them, liked them but to be honest I get equally great shaves from a few modern blades. Sure, they're hard to find and probably must-try for many, but you don't lose much if you won't finally try these legendary blades. Still, there are amazing blades currently in production. We just want to have what seems hard to get. It's the human nature.

Niko, I'm game if you want to part with some.

0 409
 02-05-2018, 01:14 PM
  • iamsms
  • The Patient Disciple
  • New Jersey
User Info
Purchased 10 from ebay today. Will see!!

4 68
 02-05-2018, 01:37 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
My friend Kypro, I don't have any left...

49 2,058
 02-05-2018, 01:41 PM
User Info
(02-05-2018, 01:37 PM)nikos.a Wrote: My friend Kypro, I don't have any left...
Then if I find some, I'll send a few your way.

0 409
 02-05-2018, 01:44 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Just for thinking of me, I really appreciate it, Kypro!

49 2,058
 02-06-2018, 02:07 PM
  • Manning
  • Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
User Info
FWIW I know I am in the minority and I am about to speak a wetshaving blasphemy but I was never impressed with them.

As a frame of reference my go to blades are Personna Lab Blues and Polsilvers.

13 186
 02-11-2018, 03:25 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Well, counting Nikos and Manning that makes two people I know of that have used Personna 74s and weren't blown away by them. But blades are the most YMMV part of our little hobby. I'e been able with patience, to acquire more than enough to last my lifetime and at a average cost per shave as low as, in some cases, half that of lesser modern, mortal blades.

7 2,400
 02-12-2018, 03:49 PM
User Info
I wish I can say good things about the tungsten blades but the one I got were in a bad shape and even though I pulled 4-5 shaves from 1 blade the fact that a blade in such a shape can give 5 decent shaves it only tells me that if the blade wasn't tarnished then it would of been a very good blade... I don't fuss over them though because they came with the Crona razor that costed me 15 bucks  and I got bunch of other great modern DE and SE blades to shave with.

If you really want to be impressed by a modern blade smoothness, extreme sharpness and long lasting longevity for 10-15 shaves per blade that would be the KAI DE blades. Feather like sharp, GBS like smooth, GEM PTFE like longevity with 3-5 shaves more depending on the blade. I'm waiting for prices to drop down a bit so I can order 100 of them.

When I compare the Kai's to the Personna 74, the Kai's were sharper, tad less smoother but I cant say regarding the longevity because the 74 crapped on me on the 4-5th shave due to the condition it was.  There is a guy on ebay who sells 100 pack  of the 74's but he is asking 200+ bucks.... I say try the Kai's if you want an amazing modern DE blade.

0 221
 02-14-2018, 02:47 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(02-12-2018, 03:49 PM)bazemk Wrote: I wish I can say good things about the tungsten blades but the one I got were in a bad shape and even though I pulled 4-5 shaves from 1 blade the fact that a blade in such a shape can give 5 decent shaves it only tells me that if the blade wasn't tarnished then it would of been a very good blade... I don't fuss over them though because they came with the Crona razor that costed me 15 bucks  and I got bunch of other great modern DE and SE blades to shave with.

If you really want to be impressed by a modern blade smoothness, extreme sharpness and long lasting longevity for 10-15 shaves per blade that would be the KAI DE blades. Feather like sharp, GBS like smooth, GEM PTFE like longevity with 3-5 shaves more depending on the blade. I'm waiting for prices to drop down a bit so I can order 100 of them.

When I compare the Kai's to the Personna 74, the Kai's were sharper, tad less smoother but I cant say regarding the longevity because the 74 crapped on me on the 4-5th shave due to the condition it was.  There is a guy on ebay who sells 100 pack  of the 74's but he is asking 200+ bucks.... I say try the Kai's if you want an amazing modern DE blade.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the 74's. Who is this guy on ebay you're referring to ? I can't find him and I check for them there every day. I'm thinking phonies.

7 2,400
 02-14-2018, 07:42 PM
User Info
For me they're nothing special aside from they're long life. That honestly gets boring to me after a while. I'm so used to using a fresh blade at least once a week. 

I think they really hit their stride on the second or third shave before holding steady for at least a dozen shaves. Really haven't used one more than two full weeks though. I had other razors and blades that I wanted to use so I pitched it.

At their best, they're a decent blade. No better performance wise for me over my day to day blades. 

It's almost a right of passage though. Try a P74 and see how long it takes to get bad.

I don't go out of my way to get them. I do browse now and then. Seems like mouser gets to the great deals before me though.

10 1,520