02-05-2018, 11:25 PM
User Info
Was curious if anyone is able to comment on the size/growth of the DE market. With the explosion of products over the last couple years I can only assume the numbers are healthy.

didn't find much on google besides the global shaving market is estimated to be $20B. Also saw this article again about harrys/DSC eating into P&G before being bought.
http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2017/...azors.html

0 11
 02-06-2018, 01:08 PM
User Info
(02-05-2018, 11:25 PM)cobalt21 Wrote: Was curious if anyone is able to comment on the size/growth of the DE market. With the explosion of products over the last couple years I can only assume the numbers are healthy.

didn't find much on google besides the global shaving market is estimated to be $20B. Also saw this article again about harrys/DSC eating into P&G before being bought.

I did some research a couple years ago about this question.  It was very difficult to get any "hard" numbers unless I paid big bucks for a marketing report that I didn't have the money for (about $4000).  The best SWAG I could come up with was that DE razors represented about 3% of the market.

0 52
 02-06-2018, 02:15 PM
User Info
(02-06-2018, 01:08 PM)mantic59 Wrote:
(02-05-2018, 11:25 PM)cobalt21 Wrote: Was curious if anyone is able to comment on the size/growth of the DE market. With the explosion of products over the last couple years I can only assume the numbers are healthy.

I did some research a couple years ago about this question.  It was very difficult to get any "hard" numbers unless I paid big bucks for a marketing report that I didn't have the money for (about $4000).  The best SWAG I could come up with was that DE razors represented about 3% of the market.

Was that 3% of the US market, North American market, or world market?

My sense is that the market has been segmented geographically since the early 1970s and the arrival of cartridges and disposable.  In Europe electric razors have been more popular than elsewhere, whereas DE razors continue to dominate in large swaths of the world where disposable income isn't as great as in North America and Europe (to the great consternation of Gillette, for whom getting the world to switch to high-margin cartridges has long been a primary marketing objective).

For that reason, I think the question "how big is the market for DE?" quickly devolves into the question, "where?"

8 91
 02-06-2018, 07:34 PM
User Info
(02-06-2018, 02:15 PM)BrickHud Wrote: Was that 3% of the US market, North American market, or world market?

My sense is that the market has been segmented geographically since the early 1970s and the arrival of cartridges and disposable.  In Europe electric razors have been more popular than elsewhere, whereas DE razors continue to dominate in large swaths of the world where disposable income isn't as great as in North America and Europe (to the great consternation of Gillette, for whom getting the world to switch to high-margin cartridges has long been a primary marketing objective).

For that reason, I think the question "how big is the market for DE?" quickly devolves into the question, "where?"

Sorry I didn't clarify. that number would be for North America.  I imagine the number world-wide would be slightly higher.

0 52
 02-13-2018, 07:36 PM
User Info
would be curious to hear some vendors opinions.

0 11