02-08-2018, 02:46 PM
User Info
Is Super Speed just another term for TTO, so that the Aristocrat is a type of Super Speed? As I understand it, the Super Speeds went out with the introduction of adjustables.

0 107
 02-08-2018, 02:57 PM
User Info
The Super Speeds and Aristocrat were a type of TTO (Twist to open). As far as Super Speeds they made the 40's Super Speeds along with the Blue, Flair, and red tip Super Speeds going from Blue the mildest , flair tip or just plain tip medium, and red was the most aggressive of the three. There was also the Gillette TV. I'm sure there are some I left off.

50 373
 02-08-2018, 03:20 PM
User Info
(02-08-2018, 02:46 PM)Ilnones Wrote: Is Super Speed just another term for TTO, so that the Aristocrat is a type of Super Speed? As I understand it, the Super Speeds went out with the introduction of adjustables.
No, they're completely different.

The Super Speed was a brand of TTO razor introduced just after WWII.  Aristocrat was another brand and just different, dating back earlier than that  The Aristocrat label was applied to some three-piece razors before 1930, then to some TTO razors after 1930.  But the two were just different.  The Super Speed was an every-man's razor; Gillette used "Aristocrat" to refer to up market razors of various types.  There was never a razor Gillette referred to as an Aristocrat Super Speed, though there were similarities in design for some models.

9 97
 02-08-2018, 03:22 PM
User Info
(02-08-2018, 03:20 PM)BrickHud Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 02:46 PM)Ilnones Wrote: Is Super Speed just another term for TTO, so that the Aristocrat is a type of Super Speed? As I understand it, the Super Speeds went out with the introduction of adjustables.
No, they're completely different.  All Super Speeds were TTO, but not all Aristocrats were.

The Super Speed was a brand of TTO razor introduced just after WWII.  Aristocrat was another brand and just different, dating back earlier than that.  The "Aristocrat" label was applied to some three-piece razors before 1930, then to some TTO razors after 1930.  But the two were just different.  The Super Speed was an every-man's razor; Gillette used "Aristocrat" to refer to up market razors of various types.  There was never a razor Gillette referred to as an Aristocrat Super Speed, though there were similarities in design for some models.

9 97
 02-09-2018, 07:10 PM
User Info
Thanks for the replies. It seems to me--I have made this point before--that all Gillette de razors are variations of the tech, the TTO, and the adjustable.

0 107
 02-13-2018, 07:50 AM
User Info

I have understood that it began with the 3-piece Old Type, which eventually evolved into the Tech. As such, to me it has been the 3-piece. The Twist To Open was then introduced in 1934 as the Aristocrat, which was an Open Comb razor. This was followed by a variation named the Sheraton and then Senator. In 1040 the Milord, Milady, and Regent Tech were introduced as Safety Bar TTO’s. The next year the Milord was continued but the Regent was essentially replaced by the Ranger Tech. The Aristocrat was also released. Again, though there were variants, the common thread was that they were Safety Bar TTO’s. And since the Super Speed wasn’t released until 1947, it would be inaccurate to call the preceding razors “Super Speeds”.
In 1958 the 195(Fat Boy) was released but it too was a TTO, albeit an adjustable TTO. (I don’t know enough about the Toggle, so I’m not really including it, although it is a TTO Adjustable too). From what I have found, the Super Speeds continued until 1966, overlapping both the 195 and the Slim.

All that is to say, for simplicity, there are 2 major types, the 3-piece and the TTO.
3-piece:
Old Tyle(100, 102, 102a)
New Improved
NEW(Long Comb, Short Comb, 15mm DeLuxe, & 17mm DeLuxe)
Tech(Pre-War, Post-War, and a few after the Korean War)

Twist To Open:
Open Comb
Safety Bar
a. 1940 Tech
b. Aristocrat models
c. 40’s Super Speed Type
d. 50’s Super Speed Type
Adjustable
Slim
Super Adjustable

But it can get more detailed than that. Everyone has their own way of categorizing the Gillette Razors, but this is how I wrapped my head around them.

1 32
 02-13-2018, 10:02 AM
User Info
But aren't all these basically just variations of the three types I mentioned?

0 107
 02-14-2018, 07:23 AM
User Info
(02-13-2018, 10:02 AM)Ilnones Wrote: But aren't all these basically just variations of the three types I mentioned?

As a new guy, I had a challenge understanding some of the different nuances because the terms do get thrown around pretty loosely.
A Super Speed is not just another term for a TTO though. A Super Speed is a type of TTO. There are other TTO’s that are not Super Speeds, and this is where a fair amount of confusion originates. A Regent Tech and a Ranger Tech is not a Super Speed, especially to a person who is collecting them or selling them. Put a Regent Tech on eBay and a 1948 Super Speed on eBay, at the same time, same excellent condition, each without a case, and you will see how different there value is perceived. They will also shave a little differently.

1 32
 02-14-2018, 07:47 AM
User Info
(02-14-2018, 07:23 AM)rev579 Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 10:02 AM)Ilnones Wrote: But aren't all these basically just variations of the three types I mentioned?

As a new guy, I had a challenge understanding some of the different nuances because the terms do get thrown around pretty loosely.
A Super Speed is not just another term for a TTO though. A Super Speed is a type of TTO. There are other TTO’s that are not Super Speeds, and this is where a fair amount of confusion originates. A Regent Tech and a Ranger Tech is not a Super Speed, especially to a person who is collecting them or selling them. Put a Regent Tech on eBay and a 1948 Super Speed on eBay, at the same time, same excellent condition, each without a case, and you will see how different there value is perceived. They will also shave a little differently.

I agree with Rev.  You can try to develop broad categories for all Gillette razors, but the variations are important.  So much so that trying to use such broad categories doesn't really work.  I guess the three broadest categories would be:  Fixed head, TTO, and Adjustable.

But when you throw in "Tech" and "Aristocrat" things get tricky.  What we generally think of as a Tech is a simple and inexpensive three-piece design.  But the Ranger Tech and Regent Tech were both TTO razors.  And although we tend to think of an Aristocrat as an upscale TTO razor, there were fixed head Aristocrats produced before there were TTO Aristocrats.

You're better off thinking of vintage Gillettes as though each model was distinct.  Then you can group them together by similarities.

9 97
 02-14-2018, 08:32 AM
User Info
(02-14-2018, 07:47 AM)BrickHud Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 07:23 AM)rev579 Wrote:

I agree with Rev.  You can try to develop broad categories for all Gillette razors, but the variations are important.  So much so that trying to use such broad categories doesn't really work.  I guess the three broadest categories would be:  Fixed head, TTO, and Adjustable.

But when you throw in "Tech" and "Aristocrat" things get tricky.  What we generally think of as a Tech is a simple and inexpensive three-piece design.  But the Ranger Tech and Regent Tech were both TTO razors.  And although we tend to think of an Aristocrat as an upscale TTO razor, there were fixed head Aristocrats produced before there were TTO Aristocrats.

You're better off thinking of vintage Gillettes as though each model was distinct.  Then you can group them together by similarities.

“Fixed Head” is a much better term, especially when considering the different ways in which they fit.
The names like Aristocrat, Chippendale, President, and the like originally were set designations and not only referred to what came with the set, but also the way in which the razor was finished and presented.

1 32