02-09-2018, 12:26 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
This morning, yr obdnt srvnt received in his email in-box a commercial advertisement of a well-known on-line vendor of shaving supplies, who shall remain nameless in this post. 

Addressed to those who (curiously) celebrate with red roses and chocolate the anniversary of an assassination (of the then-Bishop of Terni) in (a year near) 269 AD/CE on February 14 of that year, the text of the message began:  

Quote:Awe, ambivalence, abhorrence - Valentine's Day can illicit quite a range of emotions. So whether you are anticipating the day with great joy or trying . . .

One wishes to make clear for the record that he regards this forum to be populated with licit contributors, who (one believes) accurately reflect the vast majority of the gentlemen who share our peculiar hobby.

1 1,176
 02-09-2018, 12:47 PM
User Info
Biggrin

Language can be difficult at times, and I do believe that too many people who ought to know better choose to depend solely on the spellchecker in their software; if there is no red wiggly line, it must be the correct word to use in a given sentence...

Lets hope out hobby don't give rise to too many illicit emotions Tongue

3 5,249
 02-09-2018, 04:33 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I frequently wonder what is being conveyed in today’s public schools. Not penmanship nor spelling nor grammar nor math (at least not as I know it.)

Sigh

Heavy sigh

61 1,704
 02-09-2018, 04:34 PM
  • chazt
  • NYC
User Info
As a student of language these errors make me cringe; illicit/elicit, desert/dessert, compliment/complement, to/too, then/than, etc., etc. I've learned over the years that people mean well and simply give them the benefit of the doubt, as it were. I don't think it's that difficult to learn the correct form, but what do I know...

I shan't say any more.

8 2,715
 02-09-2018, 09:52 PM
User Info
Lots of times it's clearly folks from "away" that just don't have a grasp of English (but want our business). It's a very complex language and not at all easy to use.

I get offers of business all the time with folks who know enough English to converse if it was spoken, but written it shows that they are "not from here". No big deal, I just don't need their services yet they clutter up my inbox in their desire for $.

chazt, I find that time on the 'net results in errors of that sort. There are all sorts of folks writing all sorts of things and spell check doesn't work all the time, as Hans suggested. After a while in reading things of that sort it becomes a non-error to the eye. I have no idea how many times I wrote the wrong version of a word sound and if I hadn't proofread my post I wouldn't have caught it. I wonder how many that I didn't catch.

Then there is auto spell check/word completion. I know that at times I simply couldn't have written what the text shows, yet there it is.

32 6,488
 02-10-2018, 02:43 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I especially loathe the now-common "irregardless". Cringe.

0 1,961
 02-10-2018, 04:19 PM
User Info
I must admit I find the there/their, your/you're type errors in posts by individuals to be grating I, mostly, chalk them up to haste in writing a post and hitting send. Where I find the errors most worrisome is on corporate or, even worse, news sites. With the corporations it is their public image that suffers. With the news I start to wonder about the people who make a living trying to influence our opinions on matters that usually are of importance.

The absolute worst case I ever saw was shown to me by a lady who taught English in a community college. It was in a letter she received as a response from a U.S. Senator (from NY). Yes, I know the senator did not write the letter but it was a real signature.

Dave

0 82
 02-10-2018, 06:40 PM
  • chazt
  • NYC
User Info
I apologize for the tone of my post. It seemed rude.

8 2,715
 02-11-2018, 04:26 AM
User Info
(02-10-2018, 04:19 PM)barbe-rouge Wrote: I must admit I find the there/their, your/you're type errors in posts by individuals to be grating I, mostly, chalk them up to haste in writing a post and hitting send. Where I find the errors most worrisome is on corporate or, even worse, news sites. With the corporations it is their public image that suffers. With the news I start to wonder about the people who make a living trying to influence our opinions on matters that usually are of importance.

The absolute worst case I ever saw was shown to me by a lady who taught English in a community college. It was in a letter she received as a response from a U.S. Senator (from NY). Yes, I know the senator did not write the letter but it was a real signature.

Dave
It seems like nobody proof-reads anymore.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

6 728
 02-11-2018, 04:32 AM
User Info
As a professional editor, don't get me started on this topic.

9 1,002
 02-11-2018, 04:55 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Flare tip. Flair tip.

0 1,961
 02-11-2018, 05:49 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(02-11-2018, 04:32 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: As a professional editor, don't get me started on this topic.

In today's world, you sir, have a tough occupation.

61 1,704
 02-11-2018, 12:52 PM
User Info
Maybe it was an auto-correct mistake.  In any case, the post is taken for full affect.  Biggrin

11 1,235