02-09-2018, 01:20 PM
User Info
I've been reading posts about this Eau de Parfum or that Eau de Cologne.

It got me thinking that a lot of guys might be using scents much differently than is traditional.

So here are some guidelines that I humbly offer.  Do what you want, but I believe I am offering guidelines that are traditional for a gentleman.  I realize it's different if you are a corner-street cowboy or club guy trying to make a strong impression, so take this with a grain of salt.  It's also different if you are attached to a favorite drug store scent.  Do what pleases you, and don't look back.  No one can question your choice if you like it.  That's the important thing.

1.  A man's scent should be discovered, not broadcast.  What you smell like should be what you smell like when someone is close.  If everyone in the elevator is asking, "whose is that?", you are broadcasting.  Gentlemen don't broadcast anything.  They let things come to them.  When she snuggles up close and says, "That smells nice," you have it.  Think about this:  You want to smell good (but not "whoa!") when close dancing with or kissing someone; you don't want to smell like anything from across the dinner table or conference table.  And you definitely don't want to smell like something walking down the street.

2.  A gentleman should be willing to spend some money on a good scent.  I'm not talking about paying extra for a label.  I'm talking about paying extra for the complexity of a scent.  You can get ripped off paying a lot of money for an EdC or EdP, but if you are paying $20 for 100 ml of cologne, I guarantee it smells like that.  It may be perfectly pleasant, and if you and your squeeze like it, go for it.  But a gentleman should have a complex scent and be willing to pay for it.  You aren't bathing in it (see #1), so you can afford to buy quality.

3.  Consider finding just one signature scent for yourself. Make it a good one and just use that.  It's common these days for guys to have lots of different expensive colognes, and it's fun to experiment.  But you don't want your suit to smell like Dior and your neck like Hermes. 

Once you have experimented and then find that one good scent, you'll always smell good and always smell like you. When you hear that such-and-such a celebrity was associated with Aqua di Parma Colonia or another with Creed Green Irish Tweed, it's not because he wore it every second Thursday.  It's what the guy smelled like period, if he smelled like anything at all.  If you wear one scent all the time, your clothes have a soft aroma of it, your hair has a bit of it, your towels are with you there, your pajamas take on a faint odor of it, and even your sheets and pillow cases begin to smell like you.  That's how you develop a signature scent.  And you won't need as much of it every day.  The reason people think Aqua di Parma is faint or not long-lasting is that they don't use it all the time.  If you use it every day, that's what you smell like close up, and that's the point.

If that's too limiting, pick 3 and go with those.  Here's a bonus:  You wont waste money or space with lots of stuff.  See Rule #2.  And remember always Rule #1.

4. Use unscented aftershaves when wearing cologne that day.  If you are going to wear an expensive scent and make it your own, wearing a scented aftershave just confuses the issue.  Scented aftershaves are for guys (or days) when a more expressive cologne is not in the works.  If you are going to wear cologne, consider applying unscented lotion, balm or AS.  Lubriderm unscented, Nivea balm, and Nivea AS are all good choices.  You don't want to put Creed Aventus on top of Pinaud Clubman.  But you could put on Pinaud Clubman after the morning shave, then your favorite expensive cologne just after work or at night.  Get it?

Think about it:  Most of the jokes about guys and scents involve violating one of those four guidelines.  Too much, too cheap, and/or different mixed scents.

9 143
 02-09-2018, 04:55 PM
  • chazt
  • NYC
User Info
Good points all around. Regarding Rule#1, as someone who enjoys fine dining in fine establishments, there’s nothing more annoying than smelling someone two tables over - man or woman. Ruins the meal every time.

8 2,687
 02-09-2018, 05:40 PM
User Info
Nice advice, though I'm not in complete agreement on all points.

I wear fragrances for one person firstly, and that's me, myself and I.

If my girlfriend likes it, it's an added bonus. If she doesn't, I still will wear it from time to time, but probably not when I'm going out with her, but on another occasion.

I'm also a liberal oversprayer, and unfortunately I have had people sneeze around me on several occasions and for that I'm sorry, but not sorry enough to only spray two sprays.......

I agree regarding the signature scent - you will mix scents, when you wear an overcoats and jacket with one scent on them, while you use another scent on your body that day.

The problem is, that I'm a fragrance head and I have collected and used fragrances since I was 15 years old. Now in my 40's and I'm not going to stop.

Using a signature fragrance would be like drinking the same red wine each day for a year. It might be a fantastic red wine the first 3 days, but then it will start to become dreadfully boring and one sided.
After day 30 it will taste like the most boring red wine ever. Same with signature fragrances.

A fragrance might smell wonderfull the first couple of times you wear it, but if I wear it several days in a row, the fragrance starts to smell one sided and will lose its uniqueness and slowly but steadily go downhill.

You will also at some stage become anosmic to its scent, like a farmer does to his manure.

So while the idea of a signature scent is great, there are so many things that speaks aginst a signature scent.

I own 600-700 different fragrances, including full bottles and samples. How in the world would I enjoy them, if I used a signature fragrance ?

I agree about using unscented after shave, I'm going that route myself.
I use a new fragrance every single day of the year, rarely do I use the same fragrance more than 3-4 times a year.

24 6,162
 02-09-2018, 08:14 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Those are nice guidelines and thanks for your thoughtful remarks. However, I enjoy using a variety of scents (and scented soaps) and rarely use the same one even two days in a row, and I'm having a lot of fun doing it! Since I don't wear suits, and I wash my neck every day, I guess I'm OK. Variety is the spice of life.

38 5,389
 02-09-2018, 09:31 PM
User Info
In my understanding what OP meant by a Signature scent is what a person wears on special occasions, business or casual. Or is it something else?

As stated by other gentlemen, we cannot be wearing the same scent day after day. I too agree variety is the spice of life and depending on mood, occasion we need to wear our scent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,001
 02-09-2018, 09:37 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(02-09-2018, 04:55 PM)chazt Wrote: Good points all around. Regarding Rule#1, as someone who enjoys fine dining in fine establishments, there’s nothing more annoying than smelling someone two tables over - man or woman. Ruins the meal every time.

Agreed! The same goes for the gym. I definitely don't want to smell the person next to me...something about sweat and cheap cologne (or perfume). It is a nauseating combination.

48 19,146
 02-09-2018, 09:41 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(02-09-2018, 05:40 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: You will also at some stage become anosmic to its scent, like a farmer does to his manure.

What exactly are you rubbing behind your ears? Tongue

48 19,146
 02-09-2018, 11:40 PM
User Info
(02-09-2018, 09:41 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(02-09-2018, 05:40 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: You will also at some stage become anosmic to its scent, like a farmer does to his manure.

What exactly are you rubbing behind your ears? Tongue

Dior Leather Oud - actually smells like fecal - just kidding, I hate that fragrance....

24 6,162
 02-10-2018, 03:25 AM
User Info
I get the same from Oud Ispahan too..off-putting it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,001
 02-15-2018, 06:31 PM
User Info
When you can smell another mans cologne over your own when standing next to them is a good tipoff they're dousing themselves.

0 13
 02-15-2018, 06:42 PM
User Info
(02-15-2018, 06:31 PM)skinflint01 Wrote: When you can smell another mans cologne over your own when standing next to them is a good tipoff they're dousing themselves.

If you are standing there and you can smell your own, you've probably been dousing yourself.

9 143
 02-16-2018, 05:06 AM
User Info
Too late for me, I have WAY more than 3 different scents.  Biggrin

44 4,241
 02-18-2018, 06:25 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I use one fragrance - and one only. Every 5-10 years that scent I use gets discontinued and I have to find another one, which I hate.

43 2,010