02-12-2018, 03:16 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
What soaps perform REALLY well during the shave, but then feel poor in the post-shave.

(or vice versa)

80 3,347
 02-12-2018, 03:59 PM
User Info
Tabac and MDC

13 250
 02-12-2018, 04:25 PM
User Info
MdC for me.

11 1,605
 02-13-2018, 09:08 PM
User Info
For my dad - Mdc works wonderfully pre and post shave.

For me - it dries my skin post shave

7 352
 02-13-2018, 09:56 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I respect that many recognize the post-shave soap/cream phenomenon. I'm not one of them. Sure, I enjoy the skin-feel after using a great product like Declaration, Nuavia, Groomng, T&S, B&M, Wholly Kaw... But I use an aftershave, every day, and no matter my soap/cream choice, my AS displaces its face-feel and scent immediately. For me, the soap/cream is for shaving; the aftershave is for a longer-lasting scent, and the face feel.

10 529
 02-13-2018, 10:29 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
MdC.  Fantastic lather and scent.  Post-shave feel is horrible for me.

48 2,039
 02-14-2018, 03:45 AM
User Info
(02-13-2018, 09:56 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: I respect that many recognize the post-shave soap/cream phenomenon. I'm not one of them. Sure, I enjoy the skin-feel after using a great product like Declaration, Nuavia, Groomng, T&S, B&M, Wholly Kaw... But I use an aftershave, every day, and no matter my soap/cream choice, my AS displaces its face-feel and scent immediately. For me, the soap/cream is for shaving; the aftershave is for a longer-lasting scent, and the face feel.

I’m in the same boat. I don’t ever skip using an aftershave splash or balm, even if it’s just witch hazel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 2,391
 02-14-2018, 08:40 AM
User Info
(02-14-2018, 03:45 AM)merkur man Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 09:56 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: I respect that many recognize the post-shave soap/cream phenomenon. I'm not one of them. Sure, I enjoy the skin-feel after using a great product like Declaration, Nuavia, Groomng, T&S, B&M, Wholly Kaw... But I use an aftershave, every day, and no matter my soap/cream choice, my AS displaces its face-feel and scent immediately. For me, the soap/cream is for shaving; the aftershave is for a longer-lasting scent, and the face feel.

I’m in the same boat. I don’t ever skip using an aftershave splash or balm, even if it’s just witch hazel.

+1

3 1,094
 02-14-2018, 07:16 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I almost always use an alcohol splash followed by a balm, so I generally could care less. However, I find MdC to be the most drying of all soaps that I've used. At the other extreme, whenever I use Glide my face feels soft and great all day long, and I could easily skip any post shave products.

38 5,558
 02-15-2018, 07:11 PM
User Info
(02-14-2018, 07:16 PM)evnpar Wrote: I almost always use an alcohol splash followed by a balm, so I generally could care less. However, I find MdC to be the most drying of all soaps that I've used. At the other extreme, whenever I use Glide my face feels soft and great all day long, and I could easily skip any post shave products.

I do it the other way around! I use balm then splash. Am I doing it wrong this entire time?
I do so because I feel that the balm calms my skin after it's been exposed to a blade and then 10 mins later or so I'll apply the splash (mostly Pitralon) to help heal any wounds... seems to work for me.
I'll try your way tomorrow.

I am surprised to read about MDC being drying post shave.. I've been using it for years and I consistently get excellent results. P.s my skin is very dry! It's also worth mentioning I only use their fougere scent

20 877
 02-15-2018, 07:25 PM
User Info
(02-15-2018, 07:11 PM)snowman Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 07:16 PM)evnpar Wrote: I almost always use an alcohol splash followed by a balm, so I generally could care less. However, I find MdC to be the most drying of all soaps that I've used. At the other extreme, whenever I use Glide my face feels soft and great all day long, and I could easily skip any post shave products.

I do it the other way around! I use balm then splash. Am I doing it wrong this entire time?
I do so because I feel that the balm calms my skin after it's been exposed to a blade and then 10 mins later or so I'll apply the splash (mostly Pitralon) to help heal any wounds... seems to work for me.
I'll try your way tomorrow.

I am surprised to read about MDC being drying post shave.. I've been using it for years and I consistently get excellent results. P.s my skin is very dry! It's also worth mentioning I only use their fougere scent

Two notes to both of you. When I shaved with MDC years ago, I had maybe 4 shaves with it. They were all great experiences with the soap but in the end the post shave was lacking and that was why I sold it.

In regards to aftershave, I used to always use  alcohol or lighter based splashes first and then use balms or thicker creams last. Now I am experimenting with mango butter (or you could say shea butter) on your skin first thing after a shave and a rinse. Then then second thing to apply after a butter would be an alcohol after shave.

Due what works best with your skin none the less but stubbled into this post on the thread and enjoyed both of your comments.

83 1,536
 02-17-2018, 07:40 AM
User Info
Option 1. Aftershave + sunscreen
Option 2. Moisturizer + sunscreen

3 1,094
 02-18-2018, 07:16 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I just noticed this yesterday after shaving with vintage tallow formula Penhaligons EFT. Wonderful lather and scent. Unhappy skin afterward.

43 1,707