03-13-2012, 09:23 AM
User Info
Edit: This amazing AS has been reformulated for sale across state lines and is currently available to all. I now have purchased 3 bottles of Krampert's Finest post reformulation and all of my comments below still stand except the ones regarding purchasing & shipping obviously.

This is a review for Krampert's Finest Bay Rum. The only reason I haven't posted this review sooner is that it cannot yet be purchased outside of Maine. It is my understanding that Mr. Krampert is receiving more and more positive pressure to reformulate in a way that he can easily sell outside of Maine without sacrificing all of the wonderful aspects of this splash that you are about to read. My bottle was a gift but other than that I have no financial ties to Krampert's Finest. You can see more about this Bay Rum on his website, but keep in mind that the order button doesn't work...
http://www.krampertsfinest.com

Price: I don't live in Maine so I can't purchase this product but I had some gifted to me. Thanks so much Brian! So price, even if I had paid the retail would certainly be worth every cent and still receive a "10" from me.
Edit: $10.99 each is an excellent value .

Quality: Simply superb. I've not used another product that worked so brilliantly. Mr. Krampert has a market changer on his hands here.

Fights Razor Burn: I have nothing in my post-shave arsenal that works as well as this bay rum for repairing my skin after a harsh shave.

Cooling Sensation: N/A

Scent: To put it nicely I have only ever tolerated bay rum scents and my wife has vetoed each bay rum I've let her sniff. Krampert's Finest is the only bay rum that I thoroughly enjoy the scent of and even my wife likes it. She still doesn't like the smell of it in the bottle, but something magic happens when it interacts with my skin and then it get's a two thumbs up and even a wink!

Efficacy: This stuff is the epitome of efficacy for an aftershave product. It removes any irritation and repairs the skin from a rough or harsh shave. It doesn't require a horrible alcohol burning sensation to do it either. It does not dry out your skin, in fact it has better moisturizing capability than many balms I've tried. It leaves my face/neck feeling refreshed, smooth, and soft after each use. Bottom line is that Krampert's Finest actually accomplishes what all other aftershave products set out to do.

Moisturizing: This is the reason that Mr. Krampert shared his product with me. I have pretty dehydrated skin which causes my face to overproduce oil and gives me an oily complexion. Most splashes leave me way too dry and tight while most balms leave me greasy and sticky. This bay rum hydrates my skin amazingly. If I need more moisturizing, then I just use more product. It never leaves my face with that Sahara desert dry and tight feeling that so many other alcohol based splashes do. It's quite amazing what Mr. Krampert has accomplished with a splash type aftershave since it moisturizes better than many thick balms.

No Alcohol Burn: Being a bay rum I was kind of expecting a decent burn when applied after a rough shave. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of this. The most I could say that I've noticed is a gentle warming sensation that just feels comforting. Maybe that's all those quality ingredients going to work helping to repair my skin.

I said it before and I'll say it again... Krampert's Finest Bay Rum is a market changer. He's put together the best aspects of a splash, with the best aspects of a moisturizing balm and delivers it all in a classically masculine scent that makes you feel confident and wise. You won't come across as some punk kid who you can smell coming around the corner. You also won't be wondering where this amazing scent disappeared to just minutes after application. It's there subtly all day if you really look for it. This is surely the bay rum of gentlemen!

Thank you for a wonderful product!

31 7,914
 03-13-2012, 05:31 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Thanks for the nice review. I may have to give Mr. Krampert a call. Biggrin

45 16,352
 03-13-2012, 05:52 PM
User Info
(03-13-2012, 05:31 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Thanks for the nice review. I may have to give Mr. Krampert a call. Biggrin

I need to make sure he is aware of the Nook!

31 7,914
 03-13-2012, 07:29 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(03-13-2012, 05:52 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I need to make sure he is aware of the Nook!

Definitely...invite him to stop by. Cool

45 16,352
 03-14-2012, 05:08 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
OK we have to have this now. Phil do your magicLightbulb

100 12,445
 03-14-2012, 06:11 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
OK here is the website but not available yetSad

http://krampertsfinest.com/?page=home

100 12,445
 03-14-2012, 06:18 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(03-14-2012, 06:11 AM)slantman Wrote: OK here is the website but not available yetSad

http://krampertsfinest.com/?page=home

Thanks Jerry. I sent him an email and will see if he has any interest in wholesaling.

45 16,352
 03-14-2012, 07:51 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
The price seem to be $10.99 for 4 Oz + $3.99 for USA only Priority Shipping. The additive for cream & soap is the same price with a discount for purchasing both at the same time.

Anybody up for a trip to MaineSmile

100 12,445
 03-14-2012, 02:37 PM
User Info
Brian, thanks for posting that review. You're diabolical you know. Biggrin You really don't want to run out do you? Even if that causes me to come out of retirement. I like retirement; a lot!

Phil will have a sample in a week or so, depending on USPS speed.

I'll work on reformulating, sooner rather than later now it seems. And yes, Phil and I have and will be discussing my wholesaling and his retailing after I reformulate. I wanted to keep the alcohol involved ethanol, but I really can't w/o paperwork and involvement that I really don't want. Right now I can get into deep doo-doo if I sell any outside of Maine (the Commerce Clause kicks in and a certain alphabet soup agency gets very territorial about that).

I better go introduce myself in the proper forum now though.

32 6,309
 03-14-2012, 07:23 PM
User Info
Brian, you're the one who has created an addict so I would say you're the diabolical one. Wink

As far as bringing you out of retirement I cannot apologize. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. In other words, all us traditional shavers need to rehydrate our skin with a sophisticated scent without feeling like McCauley Caulkin on Home Alone screaming & slapping our cheeks from alcohol burn. There's also no need to slather on the balm & resemble a prebuescent teen's oil slick of a face when a splash can still deliver all the moisturizers you'll need. Now just give me a menthol version & related scent to alternate as desired and you'll have the Holy Grail of A/S. Diabolical you say? Well ok, I guess so since I know you're also working on that one too!

I'm glad you decided to come by.

31 7,914
 03-14-2012, 09:38 PM
User Info
Yeah, some crack dealer I am... the first one is free the rest you can't buy for love or money! Something is wrong with that dealing busness model. Huh

Well, I think the menthol is actually finished, but again, I need to replace the ethanol with another alcohol. The potato vodka has to be removed from the formula. Anyway, I've been tweaking it and using it since late last summer.

Gee, I didn't send you any!? Biggrin

Actually, at the time I didn't know if it was done and ready for testing by others. BTW, test samples haven't gone out yet, not that you got a test sample of the BR, 'cause you didn't. They probably won't until I reformulate it. The BR is first and I still need to order the ingredients. The menthol won't be released until I know I'm completely happy with it.

32 6,309
 03-17-2012, 01:22 PM
User Info
Is the Acadian Spice the bay rum scent or are they two different aftershaves?

0 303
 03-17-2012, 01:28 PM
User Info
Acadian Spice is the Bay Rum.

32 6,309
 03-23-2012, 08:17 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I went to the website the other day and was saddened to see that it was not yet available.
Please keep us updated! I can't seem to tolerate any of the other splashes with my sensitive skin and I'm getting tired of using witch hazel.

6 905
 03-23-2012, 03:24 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I hope we don't have to wait too much longer. I am getting antsy.

100 12,445
 03-23-2012, 06:49 PM
User Info
Jerry, it's going to take some time. I haven't even ordered what I need to reformulate it yet. Before I do that I need to clear some other things out of the way before I can devote time to it.

My name is on every bottle and I want it to be right. That goes for the menthol as well. That's quite a ways off, but I'll "reformulate" that from day one.

32 6,309
 03-24-2012, 05:16 AM
  • sp514
  • Toronto, Canada
User Info
Potato vodka sound great Smile

0 115
 03-24-2012, 09:18 AM
User Info
How did you know!? The first menthol batch actually was made from Vesica potato vodka. Anyone who has received a sample of that, well, that's the alcohol on the face.

32 6,309
 03-24-2012, 04:21 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
OK Brian thanks for the update.

100 12,445
 03-29-2012, 01:39 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I received a small sample bottle from Brian today. What a wonderful treat after shaving. Nice and spicy but not overdone and it also acts as a after shave balm.
The best part no burn which was a big surprise to me. I will have to savor the sample until its available for retail purchase.

Thank you Brian for developing a fantastic product.

100 12,445