03-06-2018, 07:35 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I used the prototype for the first time yesterday evening and, I am very impressed. Blade changing is extremely easy and there is a satisfying click when the top cap slides into place.

The shave itself was completely worry free. I don’t think I could have cut myself if I had tried. Despite this mild feel, the Shave was efficient. Two passes and some minor touch up resulted in an irritation free BBS shave.

48 19,397
 03-06-2018, 07:46 AM
User Info
(03-06-2018, 07:35 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I used the prototype for the first time yesterday evening and, I am very impressed. Blade changing is extremely easy and there is a satisfying click when the top cap slides into place.

The shave itself was completely worry free. I don’t think I could have cut myself if I had tried. Despite this mild feel, the Shave was efficient. Two passes and some minor touch up resulted in an irritation free BBS shave.

Phill
Can you compare it to the Rx as far as efficiency?

6 202
 03-06-2018, 08:34 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(03-06-2018, 07:46 AM)Shavemd Wrote:
(03-06-2018, 07:35 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I used the prototype for the first time yesterday evening and, I am very impressed. Blade changing is extremely easy and there is a satisfying click when the top cap slides into place.

Phill
They are two completely different razors. A more appropriate comparison would be the Oneblade. It reminds me of the Oneblade on steroids. I found the Oneblade to be too mild. That won't be an issue with the Paradigm.

48 19,397
 03-06-2018, 10:07 AM
User Info
(03-06-2018, 08:34 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(03-06-2018, 07:46 AM)Shavemd Wrote:

Phill
They are two completely different razors. A more appropriate comparison would be the Oneblade. It reminds me of the Oneblade on steroids. I found the Oneblade to be too mild. That won't be an issue with the Paradigm.
Thank you. I found the OB to mild also.

6 202
 03-06-2018, 10:22 AM
User Info

And that satisfying click, Gents, is how you know it's well engineered - much the same way Mercedes spend a lot of effort in getting the sound of their doors just so as they are closed Smile

3 5,353
 03-06-2018, 05:10 PM
  • shaveR41
  • Default User Title
  • Millbrae - CA
User Info
For various reasons, I’m not going to mention names of other DE/SE razors during the various comparisons which I’ll do over the coming weeks. But the benchmark for me is my Paradigm 17-4 razor.

This SE razor has an elegant industrial feel, it feels solid, nothing rattles or loose, the cap slides firmly in place. This is a prototype, made of aluminum, the finished razor is Titanium Grade 5, the small bits are 316 SS.

The blade feel reminds me of a straight razor between a 1/4 and /12 hollow. Blade feel is pronounced but it doesn’t feel like a DE blade or other SE razors. The blade feels exceedingly rigid, but somehow smooth. I usually know that I’m going to have irritation if a I get blade feel from DE razor. 

It makes a clipping sound, but not as loud as the 17-4.

it has a wider shaving angle than other SE razors I have tried, this cutting window is also bigger than 17-4. 

Buffing is not irritating at all and very little of it required. I have to do more buffing when using the 17-4.

The razor is easy to maneuver, the head can be easily maneuvered around the mustache area.

Smoothness and efficiency are on a different plane from the 17-4. It usually takes me 3 passes+touch-up to get a BBS, the SE got there in 2 passes. I was able to shave parts of my beard ATG on the first pass without irritation. 

I talked to Andy about blade compatibility. Schick blades don’t fit in my prototype but they will fit in the production. The razor is not compatible with blades that have guards. Andy said he focused on optimizing the razor. I used Feather Pro, in 3 days I'll use a Kamisori blade

I consider the 17-4 a significant milestone. But this razor is extraordinary, it sheds a light on what is possible beyond existing SE razor designs. If you noticed, it didn’t take Andy that much time to design this razor. I think V2 of this razor will be hard thing to catch up to.

0 40
 03-06-2018, 05:32 PM
User Info
Is there a 2nd version in the works already?

6 202
 03-06-2018, 06:00 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
(02-16-2018, 10:08 AM)Paradigm Shaveware Wrote: What something is "worth" is so subjective. In some cases it is unknown, even in terms of the dollar figure. When a painting goes to auction, the market value is murky until after the auction.

A Toyota will get you to the supermarket as surely as a BMW. Yet there are undeniable differences in styling, amenities, and performance. Even a wealthy individual might yet prefer the Toyota, while one of more modest means might prefer the BMW. It is a matter entirely of resource availability and personal preference.

Speaking generally, it is unwise to divert scarce resources to a BMW. But the way of the miser society finds unattractive as well. There is no one size fits all answer.

Getting back to razors. There is no call to obscure the issues behind generalities concerning automobiles or art.

The profitability of a razor to the maker is dependent primarily upon cost of goods sold and what happens downstream in the distribution chain. That is to say, it is most profitable to machine in-house and sell directly to the public. A Paradigm Titanium razor is machined by a very talented guy that I work closely with, but he is a contractor. While I am beginning direct sales, razors will also be distributed through Bullgoose and Gifts and Care. Historically, all Paradigm razors were wholesaled to Bullgoose. There are three mouths to feed in this distribution model.

Turning now to examine costs. Titanium is expensive, about triple the cost of stainless. It is also notoriously difficult and slow to machine.

I do make a fair profit on a titanium razor, but by no means lavish. I'd like to think I have some skill in designing razors. That may be worth something to some people.

well said but $400 is still too rich form my taste. I'll have to wait on the less expensive variants to come out and then maybe.

3 543
 03-06-2018, 06:08 PM
  • shaveR41
  • Default User Title
  • Millbrae - CA
User Info
(03-06-2018, 05:32 PM)Shavemd Wrote: Is there a 2nd version in the works already?

I don't think so! I'm speculating, people like Andy work on several iterations, regardless if a release is on the books Smile

0 40
 03-06-2018, 06:24 PM
User Info
(03-06-2018, 06:08 PM)shaveR41 Wrote:
(03-06-2018, 05:32 PM)Shavemd Wrote: Is there a 2nd version in the works already?

I don't think so! I'm speculating, people like Andy work on several iterations, regardless if a release is on the books Smile

I do look ahead, but no plans for another version just yet. This version would be way too heavy in stainless.

0 139
 03-07-2018, 10:32 AM
  • shaveR41
  • Default User Title
  • Millbrae - CA
User Info
Great shave again!

Shave Two, some observations: I have seen Andy mention that the razor doesn't bite, It really doesn't! The blade guard does an amazing job in protecting one's face. I have a couple of large areas on my neck where the hair swirls. I usually can't shave that area ATG until the 3rd/4th pass. Today I went ATG on the first pass and was able to cut hair without irritation. I have a large Adam's apple, there is a mole in the center of it, hair grows around this mole. I have never been able to shave those hairs unless I stretched and moved the skin away from the Adam's apple, but today, I just cut the hair without stretching.

0 40
 03-09-2018, 09:35 AM
User Info
(03-07-2018, 10:32 AM)shaveR41 Wrote: Great shave again!

Shave Two, some observations: I have seen Andy mention that the razor doesn't bite, It really doesn't! The blade guard does an amazing job in protecting one's face. I have a couple of large areas on my neck where the hair swirls. I usually can't shave that area ATG until the 3rd/4th pass. Today I went ATG on the first pass and was able to cut hair without irritation. I have a large Adam's apple, there is a mole in the center of it, hair grows around this mole. I have never been able to shave those hairs unless I stretched and moved the skin away from the Adam's apple, but today, I just cut the hair without stretching.

What happened to shave #3??

7 351
 03-09-2018, 06:57 PM
  • shaveR41
  • Default User Title
  • Millbrae - CA
User Info
(03-09-2018, 09:35 AM)inspectoring Wrote:

Taking a little break from the razor Smile Trying out ATT SE1 on Sunday, I'll report my impressions.

0 40
 03-10-2018, 08:47 AM
User Info
(03-09-2018, 06:57 PM)shaveR41 Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 09:35 AM)inspectoring Wrote:

Taking a little break from the razor Smile Trying out ATT SE1 on Sunday, I'll report my impressions.

I'm really interested in what you think of the SE1 but  more importantly  how you feel the Paradigm compares to the ATT SE1. This might give some of us an idea of what the Paradigm SE is like shave wise. I just sold my SE1 along with the SE2 OC baseplate. I found the SE1 a smooth shaver but as far as efficiency goes not much different than my Colonial Brass but it was the SE2 OC that sealed it for me. Although very efficient I found it had a harshness to it no matter what blade I tried and I really did try to like it. I have quite a few very efficient razors in the den that don't have that kind of harshness so I got rid of the whole set. Would have probably kept just the SE1 baseplate but it was a set so away it went. Hopefully you'll post how it shaves compared to your experience with the Paradigm SE.  Andy nailed it with the 17-4 and I have this feeling the SE will follow in its footsteps.  
Thumbsup

0 219
 03-11-2018, 10:01 AM
User Info
I have a prototype Paradigm SE razor as well. I did not want to post any thoughts on the razor until using it daily for at least a week (7 shaves).
A little background on my shaving habits first. I am a daily shaver and have been wet shaving for about 2 years. I don't really pay attention to or use "proper" shave terminology so please don't expect any fancy reviews from me. 

I have never used an AC blade/razor before getting the Paradigm SE/AC so I loaded the blade (Feather AC Professional) per Andy's instructions and figured I would just give it a go. Loading the blade was super easy, and the blade practically locked in place onto the tabs with zero movement or play. The cap slid on and locked into place. The blade stayed in place as it should. 

My first shave did not really go as expected compared to my use of the 17-4 and the Ti2. The shave was non-irritating, but the razor did not really glide over my face and was not nearly as efficient as the other 2 Paradigms mentioned. I was actually a little disappointed in the razor's performance but figured the issue was me or something I was doing.

I changed up my routine a bit in an attempt to get the SE to work as Andy said it should. Using PAA soaps and knowing they need lots of water, I decided to put the lather on my face very "wet". The soap appeared to be the key to getting this razor to work for me. It is quite possible by using the soap a little thicker than it should be, I was clogging up the razor. As I used the razor more, accounting for soap slickness along with rinsing the razor out with each pass, the razor smoothed out and the efficiency increased to what one would expect from a Paradigm product. 

I can get a BBS shave with this razor doing one with the grain pass followed up by an across the grain pass and very minor clean up at my jawline. I don't generally like to shave against the grain, but I can do it comfortably with the Paradigm razors. There has not been a lot of audible feedback when I use this razor and it almost feels there is no blade in it. With my soap issues addressed, this razor is amazing to use.  This razor seems to work for me no matter what angle I use. If there is a sweet spot, for me its huge. 

Your mileage may vary.
As with any new product, don't be so quick to dismiss it before changing up how you "normally" do things. Minor adjustments to your routine can make a huge difference in how a product works.
So far, I have gotten 6 great shaves out one Feather AC Professional blade. I actually tossed the first blade after having the first "not so great" shave prior to adjusting my soap.

20 246
 03-12-2018, 09:21 AM
  • shaveR41
  • Default User Title
  • Millbrae - CA
User Info
I got bitten by SE1 twice! That’s something I have not experienced from any razor or a blade in the past several years, it happened on the ATG pass. Otherwise SE1 was quite smooth. It’s definitely a wonderful razor, but too inefficient and mild for my taste. 

I feel the Paradigm SE is more efficient and smoother especially on the ATG pass than the ATT SE1. I could feel a great deal more sharpness but it didn’t feel like the blade will bite.

I lent the SE to a friend, I’ll get it back this on Friday. I’ll use a Kamisori blade next.

0 40
 03-14-2018, 07:10 PM
User Info
(03-12-2018, 09:21 AM)shaveR41 Wrote: I got bitten by SE1 twice! That’s something I have not experienced from any razor or a blade in the past several years, it happened on the ATG pass. Otherwise SE1 was quite smooth. It’s definitely a wonderful razor, but too inefficient and mild for my taste. 

I feel the Paradigm SE is more efficient and smoother especially on the ATG pass than the ATT SE1. I could feel a great deal more sharpness but it didn’t feel like the blade will bite.

I lent the SE to a friend, I’ll get it back this on Friday. I’ll use a Kamisori blade next.

What is the approximate release date on this SE and the new batch of Ti IIs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 98
 03-14-2018, 08:14 PM
User Info
(03-11-2018, 10:01 AM)FloridaCreekIndian Wrote: I have a prototype Paradigm SE razor as well. I did not want to post any thoughts on the razor until using it daily for at least a week (7 shaves).
A little background on my shaving habits first. I am a daily shaver and have been wet shaving for about 2 years. I don't really pay attention to or use "proper" shave terminology so please don't expect any fancy reviews from me. 

I have never used an AC blade/razor before getting the Paradigm SE/AC so I loaded the blade (Feather AC Professional) per Andy's instructions and figured I would just give it a go. Loading the blade was super easy, and the blade practically locked in place onto the tabs with zero movement or play. The cap slid on and locked into place. The blade stayed in place as it should. 

My first shave did not really go as expected compared to my use of the 17-4 and the Ti2. The shave was non-irritating, but the razor did not really glide over my face and was not nearly as efficient as the other 2 Paradigms mentioned. I was actually a little disappointed in the razor's performance but figured the issue was me or something I was doing.

I changed up my routine a bit in an attempt to get the SE to work as Andy said it should. Using PAA soaps and knowing they need lots of water, I decided to put the lather on my face very "wet". The soap appeared to be the key to getting this razor to work for me. It is quite possible by using the soap a little thicker than it should be, I was clogging up the razor. As I used the razor more, accounting for soap slickness along with rinsing the razor out with each pass, the razor smoothed out and the efficiency increased to what one would expect from a Paradigm product. 

I can get a BBS shave with this razor doing one with the grain pass followed up by an across the grain pass and very minor clean up at my jawline. I don't generally like to shave against the grain, but I can do it comfortably with the Paradigm razors. There has not been a lot of audible feedback when I use this razor and it almost feels there is no blade in it. With my soap issues addressed, this razor is amazing to use.  This razor seems to work for me no matter what angle I use. If there is a sweet spot, for me its huge. 

Your mileage may vary.
As with any new product, don't be so quick to dismiss it before changing up how you "normally" do things. Minor adjustments to your routine can make a huge difference in how a product works.
So far, I have gotten 6 great shaves out one Feather AC Professional blade. I actually tossed the first blade after having the first "not so great" shave prior to adjusting my soap.

Nice write up Florida. SE razors are a little tricky if you have never tried one before. I have a Cobra Classic and the Occam SE razors. They shave differently than DE razors.

I plan to purchase the Paradigm SE as soon as it becomes available. I heard of at least one reviewer that said the SE was smoother ATG than the 17-4. That's insane for me to process. ?

0 41
 03-15-2018, 08:08 AM
User Info
(03-14-2018, 07:10 PM)Russrat Wrote:
(03-12-2018, 09:21 AM)shaveR41 Wrote: I got bitten by SE1 twice! That’s something I have not experienced from any razor or a blade in the past several years, it happened on the ATG pass. Otherwise SE1 was quite smooth. It’s definitely a wonderful razor, but too inefficient and mild for my taste. 

Good question. As always, schedules slip. Register on my website, and I'll give you a couple of weeks notice of any product releases.

0 139
 03-16-2018, 02:19 PM
User Info
(03-15-2018, 08:08 AM)Paradigm Shaveware Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 07:10 PM)Russrat Wrote:

Good question. As always, schedules slip. Register on my website, and I'll give you a couple of weeks notice of any product releases.

Done

3 98