11-29-2018, 12:26 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(11-28-2018, 08:41 PM)NJDJ Wrote: I have not yet purchased this razor. I'm a little concerned that the detents might wear overtime or possibly become gummed up so that they don't apply upward Force. We have also seen pictures of wear on the top cap from the detents. Is anyone else concerned about the longevity of this design? Obviously it will work for several years but what it about 10 years? I would want a $395 razor to work for my lifetime. Am I being silly?

OP here.  Well, I did a lot of checking and had some conversations with Andy and I think I am not worried about this now. I even know the specs of the detents so should I need to ever replace them I could. I placed an order for the razor and I'm joining the club!

28 738
 11-29-2018, 12:34 PM
User Info
(11-29-2018, 12:26 PM)NJDJ Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 08:41 PM)NJDJ Wrote: I have not yet purchased this razor. I'm a little concerned that the detents might wear overtime or possibly become gummed up so that they don't apply upward Force. We have also seen pictures of wear on the top cap from the detents. Is anyone else concerned about the longevity of this design? Obviously it will work for several years but what it about 10 years? I would want a $395 razor to work for my lifetime. Am I being silly?

OP here.  Well, I did a lot of checking and had some conversations with Andy and I think I am not worried about this now. I even know the specs of the detents so should I need to ever replace them I could. I placed an order for the razor and I'm joining the club!

Once you get the razor and can see the mechanism in person I dont think you will be concerned.

20 239
 11-29-2018, 01:27 PM
User Info
What I found quite interesting was that during the evaluation of the design someone mentioned that they had sliding glass doors with the same design which were always going wrong. However given that the weight on the bearings Is an incredibly light titanium head I really can’t see this being a comparable issue. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 3
 11-29-2018, 05:13 PM
User Info
Congrats NJDJ I think you will be happy with your choice

21 361
 11-30-2018, 06:11 AM
User Info
A wonderful 2nd shave with the Paradigm & Pro Super combo. Just an excellent combination of efficiency and smoothness. Almost feels like a guarded blade in the razor, that’s how smooth it feels but, with a cutting action that’s equal to a Cobra Classic with a Schick Proline. Amazing...

[Image: gyqrMVk.jpg]

1 246
 11-30-2018, 06:20 AM
User Info
(11-29-2018, 01:27 PM)jeepie Wrote: What I found quite interesting was that during the evaluation of the design someone mentioned that they had sliding glass doors with the same design which were always going wrong. However given that the weight on the bearings Is an incredibly light titanium head I really can’t see this being a comparable issue. Any thoughts?

I said I have closet doors with the same ball latch mechanism.  The ball latch mechanism on the doors has failed on 2 or 3 doors.  It's virtually an identical mechanism but on a larger scale.  It's an easy enough fix on a closet door.  Not sure how easy it would be on this razor.

To be clear, I have not had ANY problems with this razor.  I was just raising a question or concern about longevity.  Is this a mechanism that could wear out as it has on the doors in my house.  I don't have the answer.

But...what I do know is that this is an EXCELLENT razor.

-Mark

16 203
 11-30-2018, 06:55 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(11-30-2018, 06:20 AM)Whiskey Sour Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 01:27 PM)jeepie Wrote: What I found quite interesting was that during the evaluation of the design someone mentioned that they had sliding glass doors with the same design which were always going wrong. However given that the weight on the bearings Is an incredibly light titanium head I really can’t see this being a comparable issue. Any thoughts?

I said I have closet doors with the same ball latch mechanism.  The ball latch mechanism on the doors has failed on 2 or 3 doors.  It's virtually an identical mechanism but on a larger scale.  It's an easy enough fix on a closet door.  Not sure how easy it would be on this razor.

To be clear, I have not had ANY problems with this razor.  I was just raising a question or concern about longevity.  Is this a mechanism that could wear out as it has on the doors in my house.  I don't have the answer.

-Mark

I too shared some concern about this. However, I really researched it and I don't think it's going to be an issue at all. Even if it is, the parts are easily replaceable. There is a thread on DFS where Andy gives the part number and the company. I don't suspect I will ever need it, howeve, it's there. This is no longer a worry in my mind.

28 738
 11-30-2018, 10:06 AM
User Info
(11-30-2018, 06:55 AM)NJDJ Wrote:
(11-30-2018, 06:20 AM)Whiskey Sour Wrote:

-Mark

I too shared some concern about this. However, I really researched it and I don't think it's going to be an issue at all. Even if it is, the parts are easily replaceable. There is a thread on DFS where Andy gives the part number and the company. I don't suspect I will ever need it, howeve, it's there. This is no longer a worry in my mind.

I echo your sentiment.

-Mark

16 203
 12-26-2018, 02:45 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

The Paradigm SE is the absolute perfect razor for me. After about seven or eight shaves, it is the sweetest and the most efficient single edge, if not safety razor in general, I have ever used. In smooth efficiency, the only razor that comes close to it is the RAW RS-10, even though the two razors are different in characteristic — and the RS follows couple notches behind in enjoyment. I use it with Feather Professional blade. In all fairness, I have not yet used the Vector or the Asylum RX. With what the Paradigm SE offers me, however, I am not tempted to purchase another single edge currently available. Good stuff.

178 3,756