02-19-2018, 10:40 AM
User Info
These are the slickest soaps/creams that I have ever used.

1. I Coloniali Mango
2. Antica Barbieria Colla
3. Santa Maria Novella
4. Xpec
5. Acqua di Parma

0 4
 02-19-2018, 11:09 AM
User Info
CRSW Glide. 

If you value slickness, protection, post shave and easy lathering, there is no better soap.

0 249
 02-19-2018, 04:03 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
I Coloniali is #1 for me, but ABC, AdP, and XPEC are right next to it.

Cheers, Steve

8 762
 02-19-2018, 04:09 PM
User Info
1. Cold River Soap Works Glide 

2. Santa Maria Novella
3. Baume.be
4. XPEC

0 69
 02-19-2018, 05:18 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(02-17-2018, 03:25 PM)SweetReason Wrote: There are many things that go into reviewing a soap, such as cushion, post-shave, and slickness. What I want to know is what is your slickiest of the slickest soaps?

L&L Declaration Grooming holds that title for me.

In that case, you have not tried La Savonnerie Bourbonnaise Cedar/Lemongrass (with donkey milk).

I am posting this message as the 25th post in the thread, and I have read the previous 24 posts.  There are some good shaving soaps mentioned there, and I have tried a majority of them, observing the same Two Dozen Rule that I apply to blades.  Strictly as to slickness, NONE of them is in the same ballpark with, or even in the same league with, La Savonnerie Bourbonnaise.  It is not even close.

La Savonnerie Bourbonnaise is the only shaving soap that I have tried that — quite literally — makes it difficult to retain a grip on the well-knurled handle of my Feather AS-D2 when I get any of the lather on my fingertips; same with a Maggard MR5 “bamboo” style handle; same with a Feather MR3 neo cartridge razor.  This stuff is ***slick***.  

Now, slickness is not the only desirable quality in a shaving soap, and the slickest is not necessarily the best shaving soap.  Perhaps not merely coincidence, though, La Savonnerie Bourbonnaise has given me the closest shaves that I have ever had, even closer than I have received in a barber’s chair.  If you must go two days between shaves and still appear clean-shaven 48 hours after shaving, then La Savonnerie Bourbonnaise should be your go-to candidate.  

Frankly, La Savonnerie Bourbonnaise is not my favorite shaving soap, but that was not your question.  You asked what the slickest is, and, in direct response to your question, you have my direct answer above.

1 1,386
 02-19-2018, 05:46 PM
User Info
(02-19-2018, 05:18 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote: [font=Georgia]In that case, you have not tried La Savonnerie Bourbonnaise Cedar/Lemongrass (with donkey milk).

really? I don't think that soap is very slick at all. It whips up into a nice easy lather for me but slick isn't something I think it has. It does hold a special place because my sister brought me back a whole box of shaving soap and regular soap from her trip to France. First time I've ever seen any talk about it. Good stuff!

I think the slickest is Baum Be that I've tried anyway.

0 88
 02-19-2018, 07:49 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(02-19-2018, 05:46 PM)tubular Wrote: really? I don't think that soap is very slick at all. It whips up into a nice easy lather for me . . .
Good stuff!

Without documentation, I think that La Savonnrie Bourbonnaise is a very small operation,  Yet, it offers several -different- shaving soaps.  The one that I tried, and have, is very poor for generating lather.   Even the master (MerkurMan) would have difficulty to make sculpturable lather from a puck of it, IMHO.   “Nice easy lather” would be the last thought that would come into my mind in describing the variety of La Savonnrie Bourbonnaise that I am familiar with.  

But the La Savonnerie Bourbonnaise that I know is VERY (very) slick.

1 1,386
 02-19-2018, 09:45 PM
User Info
(02-19-2018, 07:49 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(02-19-2018, 05:46 PM)tubular Wrote: really? I don't think that soap is very slick at all. It whips up into a nice easy lather for me . . .
Good stuff!

Without documentation, I think that La Savonnrie Bourbonnaise is a very small operation,  Yet, it offers several -different- shaving soaps.  The one that I tried, and have, is very poor for generating lather.   Even the master (MerkurMan) would have difficulty to make sculpturable lather from a puck of it, IMHO.   “Nice easy lather” would be the last thought that would come into my mind in describing the variety of La Savonnrie Bourbonnaise that I am familiar with.  

But the La Savonnerie Bourbonnaise that I know is VERY (very) slick.

There are a few soaps I would recommend that are very slick on my skin. I could start with the American artisans I use more infrequently when I don't use SV. Those would be at this moment Mike's (most used US made soap), and then a tie between Barrister and Mann white label and Mystic Water, and more recently I give the Grooming Dept soaps a bit of trial. The soaps that that I use more frequently for slickness would be SV Manna, Tundra Artica, and Flying Mango. 

If you want the best slickness from SV, it would be Tundra Artica and Colonia from Bullgoose. Both of these remind me of what is mentioned in above post. It refers to the slickness being there on the skin yet the stability of the lather is not quite optimal. I like Nathan (Merkur Mann) do spend a bit of time incorporating the water and pushing it to the optimal and then a bit more into the wet/runny stage. Sometimes the way soaps are formulated seem to work fine on the skin but the are not the most easy to assemble or user friendly. Mystic Water is a good example. I think it can take some dialing in, trial and error and some patience to fully experience the results of great and proper Mystic Water lather. It is there but in the beginning may require a bit of jumping through hoops. 

Not quite sure where some of the Euro or French soaps get the great performance from as I am not always expecting them to contain so much palm derivative or sunflower derivatives or so little fats and oils to contribute to post shave. They tend to do very well in formulation but ingredients wise, they don't get quite as flashy. I think they tend to rely more on the balance of soap composition rather than long or exotic ingredient lists. I see La Savonnrie Bourbonaise has olive oil which is the notorious one for being totally unacceptable in "shave" soap but it has been in many very good soaps but I think does require the right combo of stable oils.

85 1,698
 02-20-2018, 07:05 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
I suspect - but do not know - the European soap makers use added glycerin to make the nice post shave feel. Like Zac, I've also noted the lack of butters, creams, oils, 'exotic' additives in most mainstream EU soaps. Also, many of the creams are basically cocnut oil soaps, yet they are not drying. MdC has a reputation for being drying, but I don't get that, just clean, soft skin with nothing on it.

herrs, Steve

8 762
 02-20-2018, 02:31 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I think it' a case of overkill but I have been around enough to know to put a lot of faith in what Mel says.

8 2,691
 02-20-2018, 05:18 PM
User Info
Not counting creams

MWF
Tabac
Green Mountain

I think it all in how you make your lather. Even the best soaps are crap if you don’t get the consistency right

3 852
 02-21-2018, 03:03 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(02-19-2018, 09:45 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Not quite sure where some of the Euro or French soaps get the great performance from as I am not always expecting them to contain so much palm derivative or sunflower derivatives or so little fats and oils to contribute to post shave. They tend to do very well in formulation but ingredients wise, they don't get quite as flashy. I think they tend to rely more on the balance of soap composition rather than long or exotic ingredient lists. I see La Savonnrie Bourbonaise has olive oil which is the notorious one for being totally unacceptable in "shave" soap but it has been in many very good soaps but I think does require the right combo of stable oils.

[Image: 0dcJm01.jpg]

The listing of ingredients in French includes argile blanche, which the INCI listing does not. Argile blanche is white clay; clay (in the United States, usually bentonite clay) is a common ingredient in shaving soaps.

1 1,386
 02-21-2018, 08:28 AM
  • Nero
User Info
(02-20-2018, 05:18 PM)SteelTown Wrote: Green Mountain

I've been using Green Mountain Soaps for the past two shaves and I'm really enjoying it.

91 3,804
 02-21-2018, 12:48 PM
User Info
(02-18-2018, 12:47 PM)Sully Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 04:31 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I expect many will suggest CRSW Glide.

(02-17-2018, 04:35 PM)Gig103 Wrote: CRSW Glide for sure. But a surprise contender is Art of Shaving cream. That stuff is top notch in all regards.

(02-17-2018, 06:20 PM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: +1 CRSW 
You can go around and around looking for slick soap but when its high time for the best...CRSW, especially Olfactory Hue imho.

(02-17-2018, 07:05 PM)evnpar Wrote: CRSW Glide is the winner for me, by a long shot. However, there are many other soaps and creams that are plenty slick.

(02-17-2018, 08:26 PM)Skinny Rogers Wrote: Glide is the slickest I have ever used...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for Glide.  And in my opinion it's not even close.  All my other soaps are fighting for second place.

(02-19-2018, 11:09 AM)bennett Wrote: CRSW Glide. 

If you value slickness, protection, post shave and easy lathering, there is no better soap.

(02-19-2018, 04:09 PM)twister Wrote: 1. Cold River Soap Works Glide 

2. Santa Maria Novella
3. Baume.be
4. XPEC

Agree 100%. Glide is by far the slickest soap I've ever used.

0 119
 02-21-2018, 02:55 PM
  • Boonie21
  • Soapy Science Soaps
  • Denver, Colorado
User Info
1.Glide
2.SMN
3.My Daughter Hannah’s Soap (aka Soapy Science)
4. Mike’s
5. Grooming Dept. Tallow & Duck

105 1,733
 02-22-2018, 05:59 PM
User Info
Im surprised nobody’s mentioned this ! Donkey Milk. Easy to lather, doesn’t dry out fast and is a great performer! [Image: 1naJsz7.jpg]

26 119
 02-23-2018, 07:42 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Today I used Asylum English Collection Charcoal Shave cream. It was slicker than any soap I’ve used. Any.

15 3,777
 02-25-2018, 07:21 AM
User Info
Maca Root.  Slicker than snail snot.

0 34