02-19-2018, 01:27 PM
User Info
Today I had the best shave I've had in a week using Sudsy Soapery. Performance wise, this one is a keeper. Good lather you can make thick or thin, and really good performance in every aspect. I don't put much weight into face feel, because it's not something I really think about in a warm, tropical climate. "My face feels fine" is usually my thought, unless a soap is particularly drying or deficient. Having said that, my face is noticeably irritation free and soft. Where I struggle a bit with this soap is scent. The scent strength is really good, but most of the scents just aren't up my alley. I had a tub of Jack Frost and traded it away because great performance wasn't enough to override a scent that just didn't do it for me. I'm not a bay rum guy, and the sandalwood mixes don't really excite me either. The scents I really do like are already represented in my den. Would I replace a Stirling Almond Cream, Cella, or TOBS Peppermint when they are done with a SS Almond Cream or SS Peppermint & Lavender? Absolutely. Do I feel an urgent need to trade these out of my den? Not really. Right now, if the scents were right it'd be among my top keepers, and will still probably make its way into my den at some point. However, it's going to go at the top of my honorable mention list for now. (By the way, the difference between a "keeper" and an "honorable mention" is a matter of personal preference more than anything. These are all good soaps)

RUNNING SOAP REVIEW SUMMARY

KEEPERS
Stirling - great lather, unbeatable slickness, and great scent strength. Scents are often not complex, but most are outstanding.
Barrister and Mann - Rich, dense lather and unique, complex scents make this a favorite. Warning: scents can be "hit and miss" and some can be polarizing.
--------------------------
Chiseled Face - Good lather (midway in between dense and slick), very unique scents, and solid performance.
Catie's Bubbles - Given the right scent, the performance is solid enough to be a keeper.
TOBS (cream) - Unbeatable, creamy, foolproof lather and fantastic scents. May not outperform others that missed the cut, but wins for me in enjoyment of use.

HONORABLE MENTION
Sudsy Soapery - An outstanding overall soap which provides an irritation free shave and great moisturizing and outperforms some of my "keepers". Unfortunately, the scents don't line up with my tastes or the gaps in my den.
Midnight and Two - Nice scents (I prefer a little stronger), good lather (I prefer a little thicker), good slickness, great face feel and moisturizing properties.
Soap Commander - Performance rivaling my keepers, and scents that are unique and pleasant, but didn't come out and grab me like some others do.

JUST MISSED THE CUT (YMMV)
Mike's Natural - a good, solid soap choice. I pick up an off scent in the base, which is not objectionable, but very distracting to me with some scents.
Martin De Candre - a solid soap, but nothing jumps out as being really outstanding to me.
I Coloniali Mango - Great scent, but discontinued, too expensive, and I botched the lather. Other reviewers say the lather is "different" - very slick but not very dense or creamy.
Wet Shave Obsession - Zaro - Good solid soap choice with thick lather, good overall performance, but a bit drying post shave feel. The scent smells like caramel, not Fougere to me, which ironically, was what I liked most.

5 146
 02-19-2018, 01:42 PM
User Info
Today's soap is one with which I have minimal experience - Wet Shaving Products (WSP). I have a sample of Blackbeard in my den, which smells fantastic and unique to me (cinnamon, spiced rum kinda vibe), but I haven't had time to shave with it but once. There are a ton of WSP scents/samples in the box, and there are several I really like a lot. I chose Mahogany, which was really a phenomenal scent. I'm terrible at describing scents, but this is a rich, deep, woody, scent more reminiscent of a darker tobacco or leather type scent as opposed to a lighter, brighter wood scent like cedar or sandalwood. Performance wise, I'd say WSP was better than average with no obvious flaws, but not spectacular in any one area of performance. I'm going to test lather a few scents I like and then, after the box leaves, I'll probably shave with my Blackbeard sample few times to dial it in and get a better feel for performance. I may also shave with a 1/2 and 1/2 rustic formula and formula T to compare them. Right now, I'm ranking WSP as a keeper and planning on buying a few scents to add to the den. Once I get a bit more experience with it, I'll know for sure.

5 146
 02-19-2018, 01:44 PM
User Info
Well, I liked WSP enough that I shaved with it a second time lathering half my face with the rustic (vegan) formula and with the formula t (tallow) The scents were Black Amber Vanille and Barbershop, respectively). First of all, I like this soap and will be adding it to my second tier of keepers. Second, I felt that the performance of the Formula T was a bit better than the rustic in all respects - lather, slickness, moisturizing, you name it. Both were very respectable, though. If push came to shove, I'd probably rate the Formula T above Catie's Bubbles and the Rustic below it. Honestly, it's the first time I ever gave tallow vs vegan much of a thought. Looking through my list, it's starting to look like my skin just prefers tallow. We'll see if the trend continues.

5 146
 02-19-2018, 02:12 PM
User Info
Today I shaved with Viking. I have a sample of the Ragnar scent in my den that was given to me, and it is absolutely fantastic. It's a copy of Creed Aventus, and although I tend not to like cologne scented soap, this stuff smells unbelievably good. I only have a couple of shaves under my belt with it and have found the performance to be solid, comparable to most of the soaps on my second tier keepers and honorable mentions. I was looking forward to trying the tallow version of this soap to compare it with the Fro (vegan) version. After sniffing through the scents in the box, honestly most of the scents didn't fire me up nearly as much as Ragnar, but I chose Iceland as a good solid choice. A bit complex, cold and forest like scent which didn't really jump out at me in the tub, but really came to life when lathered on my face. (After my Shave I did test lathers on the rest, but didn't have the same luck with other scents). Anyway, I did a three pass Shave using one of each soap on half of my face. After comparison, I felt the Iceland made a bit thicker, better performing lather and I was ready to declare tallow the winner until I looked on the spreadsheet and realized these were the 2 Viking scents represented in the vegan base in the box. D'oh! This shows the danger of any evaluation using only one Shave as the sample size. The soap was exactly the same, but I dialed in the lather better on one and was going to wrongly attribute it to the soap formula. Either way, I think Viking is good enough to be a keeper, but the lack of scents that I love (with the exception of the two I used) may keep it on the honorable mention list. It's a close call that may have to wait until later. If anyone else has experience, thoughts or perspective on Viking or on the differences in the vegan and tallow bases, I'd love to hear them.

5 146
 02-19-2018, 02:14 PM
User Info
Today's soap is Dr. Jon's. I took a whiff from all the samples, most of which didn't fire me up, and settled on the best two as Gold Label and Aphrodite. Being a sucker for citrus, I chose Aphrodite. Long story short, this is another good performer, but nothing in it screams "buy me". I guess I'm lucky in that I've been choosing soaps that are many folks' favorites and generally known to be solid performers. Go figure, they've all been solid performers. Again, the main difference between the best soap and the worst soap in my list is more a matter of "comeback sauce" than anything, as there have been no glaring performance flaws with any soap I've tried, and you can get a good shave with every one of them. Regardless, for me, Dr. Jon's didn't make my cut.

Speaking of comeback sauce, I had planned on my last shave being with Reef Point tomorrow, but I may go half and half with Reef Point Submariner and the tallow version of Viking. I'm still unsure about Viking, and I want them to get a fair shake with their tallow version, since I tend to get better performance out of tallow soaps than veggies. Pretty sure the scents won't mix, but the box only comes around once, and an evaluation on this one is eluding me, so I have no choice.

5 146
 02-19-2018, 02:17 PM
User Info
Today I went head to head between Viking (tallow version) and Reef Point. Lathering the two side by side continues to reinforce how good the soaps I've selected so far soaps are. They performed slightly differently, but both gave excellent shaves and either would be a contender for the den, given the right scent. The biggest difference for me was that the Reef Point soap seemed to have more of a wide range to create thicker or thinner lather than the Viking. (That, or I may have just needed to use a bit more soap with the Viking.) Either way, the Viking lather ended up bit thinner and provided a little less cushion, but a little more slickness. Both were good lathers, and it's possible that with more soap, the Viking could have gotten thicker, but I'm certain that I could have thinned out the reef point to match the Viking. Regardless, the differences in the end result were marginal. In fact, I found less differences between these two soaps than I observed using two identical Viking soaps yesterday, so I'm confident that dialing in the lather had as much to do with it as the soap itself. The one stand out here for me is the scent of the Reef Point Submariner afterwards. I really liked it a lot. Reef Point has very different scent profiles than other soaps I've tried; kind of clean, brisk colognes. They are unique enough and strong enough that I'll be keeping a couple in the den for variety in the rotation. Right now I have Test Depth, which I like, and Admiralty which actually reminds me of a food grade citrus scented grease we use in the ice cream plant. It smells quite good, but has a weird scent connotation for me, so I'll look to trade it away and add Submariner (now my favorite Reef Point Scent). Whether Viking stays in the Den will depend on how it performs against a sample of Executive Man (presumably the same scent as Ragnar) that I just ordered from Stirling. For now, Viking is an honorable mention for me. (Note from the future... the Stirling performs better than the Vegan Ragnar, but the Ragnar smells better/stronger, as mentioned in the updated post on Viking.  I've now combined them into a Frankensoap  to try and get the best of both worlds.)

With box #2 leaving today, I'll be spending some time with a few new soaps, but also spending time dialing in and comparing soaps already on the "keeper" list to see if the differences are as marginal as I think.

5 146
 02-19-2018, 02:31 PM
User Info
While in between boxes, I've been working on learning to shave with a straight razor. After an overly aggressive straight shave, I decided to let my epidermis regenerate and use the time to take out the DE "thin the herd" of soaps in my den. I pitted Stirling Almond Creme against Cella and Razorock Classic. Since they all have the same scent, I figured the second two would end up on the trading block. As expected, the Razorock was a good all around soap, but the scent strength was low and I find the performance "average" so it missed the cut. Cella, however, surprised me. There is a reason this soap has been around for over 100 years with no change to the formula. Good scent, whips up lather like a champ, good slickness and glide. It's just good stuff. I had planned to bin this one as well, but just couldn't do it. Cella will be staying in the den (albeit as an honorable mention, as this soap only comes in one scent, and several other soapmakers do an equally good job with this scent).

RUNNING SOAP REVIEW SUMMARY

KEEPERS
Stirling - Great lather, unbeatable slickness, and great scent strength. Scents are often not complex, but most are outstanding.
Barrister and Mann - Rich, dense lather and unique, complex scents make this a favorite. Warning: scents can be "hit and miss" and some can be polarizing.
--------------------------
Chiseled Face - Good lather (midway in between dense and slick), good overall performance, and very unique, creative scents (Santa Paula/Ghost Town Barber are favorites).
WSP (formula T) - A good all around performer with unique scents (Mahogany, Black Amber & Vanille, and Blackbeard are favorites.) I prefer the Formula T (tallow) base, but the Rustic (vegan) is still a solid choice.
Reef Point - Solid overall performance. Unique "clean cologne" scent profiles that are unique and different. (Submariner is a favorite.) Some are hit and miss.
Catie's Bubbles - Really unique scents. Given the right one (Waterlyptus is one of my all time favorites), the performance of this vegan soap is solid enough to be a keeper.
TOBS (cream) - Unbeatable, creamy, foolproof lather and so many fantastic scents (Jerymn St, Peppermint, Grapefruit, Mr Taylors). May not outperform several others below, but wins for me in enjoyment of use.

HONORABLE MENTION
Sudsy Soapery - An outstanding overall soap which provides an irritation free shave and great moisturizing and outperforms some of my "keepers". Unfortunately, the scents don't line up with my tastes or the gaps in my den.
Midnight and Two - Nice scents (I prefer a little stronger), good lather (I prefer a little thicker), good slickness, great face feel and moisturizing properties.
Viking - I find the Ragnar and Iceland scents to be standouts. Good solid performance, and may move to the keeper list.
Cella - Good lather and performance. While there are better soaps out there, this formula and scent has gone unchanged for over 100 years for a reason. A solid choice for anyone's den.

JUST MISSED THE CUT (YMMV)
Soap Commander - Performance rivaling most of my keepers, and scents that are unique and pleasant, but didn't come out and grab me like some others do.
Mike's Natural - A good performer. I pick up an off scent in the base, which is not objectionable, but very distracting to me with some scents. (Orange Cedarwood and Black Pepper, and Lime are favorites/unaffected).
Martin De Candre - A very good soap, but nothing jumps out as being "over and above" for me.
Dr. Jon's - Another very good soap with good overall performance; just nothing jumps out at me.
--------------
(unobtanium) I Coloniali - Mango - Great scent, but rare/expensive, and I botched the sample lather. Other reviewers say the lather is very slick but not very dense or creamy. I'd love to give it another shot with a full puck.
(unobtanium) Wet Shave Obsession - Zaro - A good soap that produces thick lather and good overall performance, but a bit drying post shave feel. The "fougere" scent actually smells like caramel to me, which, ironically, was what I liked most.

CUT EARLY IN TRYOUTS
Razorock - Overall, these soaps lather quickly & easily, but I find performance to be just average, and scent strength to be below average.
Tabac - I know this is an iconic soap that is purported to perform well, but I just can't get past what my wife refers to as the "old man smell". Others call it "grandma's purse" scent. Either way, it's not making the den.

5 146
 02-19-2018, 02:56 PM
User Info
I may add thoughts on various soaps as time goes on, but, I will say I agree with your 2-point basic criteria.

If I have a common complaint with both soap AND aftershave makers, it is that scent strength is almost ALWAYS too weak.

While I recognize these products aren't colognes, I'll wager most of us don't often use colognes (to except for special occasions) anyway.

Very often, quality colognes are expensive, and perhaps a bit much for daily use.

BUT, a good soap and aftershave that starts out strong, AND that lingers through the day, always gets high marks from me.

I'd REALLY like the makers of these products (especially the artisans) to pick up this end of the game for us.

Stronger scents, please!

0 28
 02-19-2018, 04:01 PM
User Info
(02-19-2018, 02:56 PM)Razordude Wrote: I may add thoughts on various soaps as time goes on, but, I will say I agree with your 2-point basic criteria.

If I have a common complaint with both soap AND aftershave makers, it is that scent strength is almost ALWAYS too weak.

While I recognize these products aren't colognes, I'll wager most of us don't often use colognes (to except for special occasions) anyway.

Very often, quality colognes are expensive, and perhaps a bit much for daily use.

BUT, a good soap and aftershave that starts out strong, AND that lingers through the day, always gets high marks from me.

I'd REALLY like the makers of these products (especially the artisans) to pick up this end of the game for us.

Stronger scents, please!

I'm totally on the opposite end of the spectrum. I think most artisan soaps and aftershaves are way to strong! I don't want to smell my shaving soap on me after I'm done shaving for more than a minute or two. And then some of the artisan aftershaves are like colognes and last for hours. No thanks! I use pretty much commercial European soaps and aftershaves. I like to smell them a little while shaving and a light smelling aftershave.

0 17
 02-19-2018, 04:28 PM
User Info
(02-19-2018, 12:48 PM)Baylorgator Wrote:
(02-19-2018, 08:44 AM)Shannon Wrote: I'm kind of a lurker on one of the other forums you frequent, and do look at your review thread, as your reviews are thorough and well done... Plus, there are a whole lot of them!  Glad to see you in active participation over here.  Smile

Thanks for the good word, Brian.  I'm pretty sure Shannon's was part of one of the early boxes of the soap pass around I participated in, but at the time, I hadn't heard of it.  Since then, I've heard good things about you guys.  Cheers!

I've lost track of what's in what box, but we did send soaps early on, so they're probably are in one of the earlier boxes.  We did recently send our latest product (Timeless Razor's Etherea) for inclusion.  If you do try it at some point, note that it has a different formula than most of our other soaps.  The formula and scent do make it more expensive than our standard soaps.

If you ever have questions, I'm happy to make an attempt at answering them.

0 1,130
 02-19-2018, 04:47 PM
User Info
Gawd, I feel like I've read this whole thing before on at least two different forums.?. 

If you wanna get to know the TSN members, just interact with us man.

p.s. - Brian (Shannons Husband) your trying to hard. Are you star struck?
jus' kiddin, you know I luv ya bro!

0 105
 02-19-2018, 04:56 PM
User Info
(02-19-2018, 04:01 PM)tubular Wrote:
(02-19-2018, 02:56 PM)Razordude Wrote: I may add thoughts on various soaps as time goes on, but, I will say I agree with your 2-point basic criteria.

Stronger scents, please!

I'm totally on the opposite end of the spectrum. I think most artisan soaps and aftershaves are way to strong! I don't want to smell my shaving soap on me after I'm done shaving for more than a minute or two. And then some of the artisan aftershaves are like colognes and last for hours. No thanks! I use pretty much commercial European soaps and aftershaves. I like to smell them a little while shaving and a light smelling aftershave.

I'm not the Shannon's Soaps soap maker/fragrance designer, but I can speak to all this a little. 

It's all a balancing act between finding a scent strength that people will like, keeping costs reasonable, trying not to cause negative skin reactions, and finding ingredients that will survive well in an inhospitable environment (soap).

0 1,130
 02-19-2018, 04:59 PM
User Info
(02-19-2018, 04:47 PM)LAParker Wrote: Brian (Shannons Husband) your trying to hard. Are you star struck?
jus' kiddin, you know I luv ya bro!

Shannon's Soaps, Shannon's Soaps, Shannon's Soaps!!! BUY BUY BUY!

Smile

0 1,130
 02-19-2018, 06:37 PM
User Info
(02-19-2018, 04:56 PM)Shannon Wrote:

Stronger scents, please!

I'm not the Shannon's Soaps soap maker/fragrance designer, but I can speak to all this a little. 

It's all a balancing act between finding a scent strength that people will like, keeping costs reasonable, trying not to cause negative skin reactions, and finding ingredients that will survive well in an inhospitable environment (soap).

That’s what interests me so much about this hobby. The YMMV factor.  I manufacture ice cream for a living, and although there are regional tastes and preferences around the country, it’s relatively straightforward what sells and what doesn’t.  How much flavor people want or don’t want.  As an artisan soap maker it’s got to be WAY less predictable and straightforward.  It’s gotta be tough to differentiate yourself while trying to produce something that will have some general appeal when @razordude, @tubular, and I all may have different tastes.

5 146
 02-19-2018, 07:23 PM
User Info
(02-19-2018, 06:37 PM)Baylorgator Wrote:
(02-19-2018, 04:56 PM)Shannon Wrote:
(02-19-2018, 04:01 PM)tubular Wrote: I'm totally on the opposite end of the spectrum. I think most artisan soaps and aftershaves are way to strong! I don't want to smell my shaving soap on me after I'm done shaving for more than a minute or two. And then some of the artisan aftershaves are like colognes and last for hours. No thanks! I use pretty much commercial European soaps and aftershaves. I like to smell them a little while shaving and a light smelling aftershave.

That’s what interests me so much about this hobby. The YMMV factor.  I manufacture ice cream for a living, and although there are regional tastes and preferences around the country, it’s relatively straightforward what sells and what doesn’t.  How much flavor they want or don’t want.  As an artisan soap maker it’s got to be WAY less predictable and straightforward.  It’s gotta be tough to differentiate yourself while trying to produce something that will have some general appeal when @razordude, @tubular, and I all may have different tastes.

Yeah... It's hard to figure out what people will want in this business, even if you have a marketing research budget.  When you don't, it is considerably more difficult.  That's why reviews like yours on forums like this one aren't only valuable to shavers - they're valuable to manufacturers/artisans as well.  I was being sincere before when I said I appreciated your efforts in reviewing soaps, because as I said, they are a valuable source of market research that we can afford.

0 1,130
 02-19-2018, 07:37 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info

Stronger scents, please!

I'm with you on this! I much prefer more subtle scents and do not want to be knocked over the head with either an aftershave or a shaving soap. It can be headache inducing.

48 19,276
 02-19-2018, 07:47 PM
User Info
i really enjoy reading the reviews posted by op. thanks.

0 48
 02-20-2018, 06:22 AM
User Info
(02-19-2018, 07:23 PM)Shannon Wrote: [quote pid='856243' dateline='1519094224']
Yeah... It's hard to figure out what people will want in this business, even if you have a marketing research budget.  When you don't, it is considerably more difficult.  That's why reviews like yours on forums like this one aren't only valuable to shavers - they're valuable to manufacturers/artisans as well.  I was being sincere before when I said I appreciated your efforts in reviewing soaps, because as I said, they are a valuable source of market research that we can afford.

[/quote]
(02-19-2018, 07:47 PM)isendono Wrote: i really enjoy reading the reviews posted by op. thanks.

Thanks, guys.  I really enjoy hearing peoples opinions on the soaps.  Ironically, I find it most interesting when people have a totally different opinion or experience than me with one.  Sometimes it makes me go back and revisit them in a new light.  Sometimes it makes me wonder how the results could vary so much between two people giving their honest opinions.  Interesting either way.

As such, I'm going to continue posting the reviews to try and catch up to my current day review (soap #46), but don't let that stop anyone from commenting on any of the soaps, reviews, or other peoples comments.  (Assuming they are respectful and not troll-like.) Again, the feedback and opinion of others is what makes this type of thread enjoyable to me.

5 146
 02-20-2018, 06:58 AM
User Info
After a week long Disney Cruise with the fam, box #3 is at my doorstep and the reviews will continue.  Upon receiving a box, normally I like to smell through many of the samples before making a soap selection. However, since one of my favorite scents of all the soaps I’ve tried so far is Viking Ragnar, and since box #3 has a sample of Fine Platinum (presumably the same scent) and also a sample of Viking Old Norse, I figured I’d try them side by side.

First of all, I have to say that Fine does a great job with their cologne scent profiles. I’m normally turned off by cologne scents, but there are clean, masculine scents that I really like. Second, after comparing Viking Ragnar, Fine Platinum and Stirling Executive Man, I still think the Viking Ragnar stands alone as far as the scent goes. The other two are nice, but again the Ragnar, to me, is outstanding.

As for performance, I’d say the soap is aptly named; it’s fine. Not great, not bad, just fine. Average lather, average slickness, average cushion, etc. Neither the Fine or the Viking stood out to me as being exceptional. Both lacked any significant residual slickness, and both left my face feeling a tad dry. Neither the Viking nor the Fine stand out to me among the many great soaps in this pass around.

Contrast this with my recent trial with Grooming Department Credence. Although the scent is not my favorite, the performance and face feel really stood out by comparison. I expect to find and review a grooming department scent I like more in the future.

5 146
 02-20-2018, 07:01 AM
User Info
I'm a little hesitant to write this report, as I'm reviewing two very well thought of soaps that didn't make my cut. Let's just get the YMMV out of the way, and say that if you disagree with me on this one, you are certainly not alone. I had high expectations of Mitchell's Wool Fat and Panna Crema - Pure 2 O based on their stellar reputation and rave reviews I've read. In fact, I got in on a pass around of Panna Crema Nuavia, which is a truly outstanding soap, so I was expecting great things here. Both soaps performed well in all areas, but neither blew me away. All I can say about MWF is that it has been difficult for me to lather hard soap pucks from small/grated samples, so I over watered it trying to get a creamy lather to appear. Either way, I'm a bit of a scent guy, and an unscented soap probably isn't going to make my den unless it far exceeds my best soaps. For me, this one didn't.

Lathered alongside the MWF was Panna Crema San Franseco. This one fell on the other side of the scent spectrum for me, smelling like what I'd imagine Vicks Vaporub would smell like if they had an "herbal" version. Yuk. Again, YMMV. Again, performance was good, but nowhere near as good as the Nuavia line or some of my better soaps. I may try again with another scent to see if the results are any better, but at this point it's not making the cut, at all.

5 146