02-11-2019, 06:02 AM
User Info
Well it has been some time since I've posted to this thread, but I do have a couple unreviewed samples and one potentially inbound soap coming. Besides, 84 reviews didn't seem like a good number to end on.  Stay tuned...

5 214
 02-11-2019, 07:55 PM
User Info
Glad you're back at it.  I'm also glad to see elsewhere that you're still enjoying Bay Patchouli Grapefruit.  I look forward to reading more of your reviews!

0 1,174
 02-12-2019, 09:00 AM
User Info
Maybe it's just me but I don't put a lot of stock into these type of mega review threads.

0 72
 02-12-2019, 09:13 AM
User Info
(02-12-2019, 09:00 AM)tubular Wrote: Maybe it's just me but I don't put a lot of stock into these type of mega review threads.
You know, Randy is a respected member of this and other Forums. If you don't want to "take stock", may I respectfully suggest you move on to another thread.

51 4,862
 02-12-2019, 10:52 AM
User Info
(02-12-2019, 09:13 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 09:00 AM)tubular Wrote: Maybe it's just me but I don't put a lot of stock into these type of mega review threads.
You know, Randy is a respected member of this and other Forums. If you don't want to "take stock", may I respectfully suggest you move on to another thread.

No you may not respectfully or otherwise ask me to move on. I voiced my opinion since that is what forum discussions are for.

0 72
 02-12-2019, 03:25 PM
User Info

I'm also a bit skeptical or perhaps wary is a better word. I ask myself what is motivating factor in all of this? What is the angle? Is there an axe to grind? A dog in the fight? Are some punished for perhaps not playing along while others are rewarded for sucking up? Is it all about the attention? I don't honestly know but it gives me pause. In the end I know what works for me, what I like and I have no problem letting anyone know that. Beyond that I could if I had the time write some negative or less than flattering reviews on products I don't find to be up to snuff or maybe the company rubbed me the wrong way, or snubbed me if I had that bent. Maybe this reviewer is doing just that or not but that is why these encompassing reviews give me pause.

0 138
 02-12-2019, 03:38 PM
User Info
(02-12-2019, 10:52 AM)tubular Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 09:13 AM)primotenore Wrote:

No you may not respectfully or otherwise ask me to move on. I voiced my opinion since that is what forum discussions are for.
Ok then.

51 4,862
 02-12-2019, 04:10 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(02-12-2019, 03:38 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 10:52 AM)tubular Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 09:13 AM)primotenore Wrote: You know, Randy is a respected member of this and other Forums. If you don't want to "take stock", may I respectfully suggest you move on to another thread.

Ok then.

Perfect response, Primo!

10 590
 02-12-2019, 04:31 PM
User Info
(02-12-2019, 04:10 PM)pbrmhl Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 03:38 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 10:52 AM)tubular Wrote: No you may not respectfully or otherwise ask me to move on. I voiced my opinion since that is what forum discussions are for.
Ok then.

Perfect response, Primo!
Cool

51 4,862
 02-12-2019, 05:56 PM
User Info
Wait you mean that the 18 year old girl I'm chatting with online might not be 18? Or a girl?

0 432
 02-13-2019, 10:48 AM
User Info
(02-12-2019, 03:25 PM)JHamel Wrote:

I'm also a bit skeptical or perhaps wary is a better word. I ask myself what is motivating factor in all of this? What is the angle? Is there an axe to grind? A dog in the fight? Are some punished for perhaps not playing along while others are rewarded for sucking up? Is it all about the attention? I don't honestly know but it gives me pause. In the end I know what works for me, what I like and I have no problem letting anyone know that. Beyond that I could if I had the time write some negative or less than flattering reviews on products I don't find to be up to snuff or maybe the company rubbed me the wrong way, or snubbed me if I had that bent. Maybe this reviewer is doing just that or not but that is why these encompassing reviews give me pause.

I respect your cynicism.  I'm one of those guys too.  For me, this exercise started from my own personal notes to keep track of my thoughts during a pass around where I was trying out 30+ soaps.  One of the requirements of the pass around was that you post reviews in the pass around thread, so I did.  From there, a number guys kept encouraging me to keep them up, and a serious case of SAD fueled a lot more soap reviews.  After 50+ soaps, frankly, it became kind of a PITA, but I had accumulated so many samples that I figured I'd finish the job.  I finally quit with 4 or 5 samples left, which I am now just getting back to.

As for motivation, originally I was trying to find really good soaps for myself, since most product descriptions for soaps and aftershaves give you really no idea what a product it like, and you end up just "buying blindly".  I like lots of variety and wanted to get a good "stable of soaps" going, and after and passing along my thoughts to others and having feedback that they were helpful to some I figured more reviews would help people line up their preferences with what I said in the reviews, and hopefully find a soap that they like as well as save themselves a few bucks in the process.  

I'm not an attention seeking kind of guy.  I don't have a facebook account, nor am I an instagrammer or tweeter.  I run a national brand food manufacturing company and get more public attention in my real life than I'm comfortable with.  As such, I come to shave forums to get away from that.  Here, I prefer to keep a low profile, and I neither receive, nor desire any money, compensation or benefit from this.  In fact, if you read the reviews, you'll also find them to be quite consistent with what most people think, and you'll see comments to that effect posted throughout them.  You'll also see that I welcome and solicit disagreement with my reviews, as I think other people's varying opinions add the discussion, not detract from it.  

In summary, I understand why the natural inclination of many readers (which I share) is to be skeptical of review threads like this one.  I'd say to anyone "If it's not your thing, no worries.  Ignore this thread, and skip over to a thread you enjoy."  In turn, I think it's reasonable that I politely ask that no-one publicly insinuate that I have some sort of nefarious motive for my posts unless they have some actual evidence of that.

Cheers, gentlemen, and on to a few more reviews for those who are interested...

5 214
 02-13-2019, 10:56 AM
User Info
Before going on to do a few more reviews, a bit up an update. Several months back I paused (and considered stopping) my soap reviews in order to focus on my skills with a straight razor. Surprisingly, this exercise resulted in my now getting significantly closer shaves with a DE than ever before, and changed my preferences of favorite DE razors to much more aggressive razors and aggressive blade settings. It also ended up pushing the envelope of soap hydration more than I had before. For those not familiar with "the dark side", many straight shavers (myself included) like to hydrate their soaps a lot more when using a straight razor in order to increase the amount of slickness and glide they get from the soap. Some soaps don't handle this all that well; others drink up water and get slicker than snot. So going forward, that's one of the parameters I'm testing with the next few (or however many) soaps that end up in this review. I'm doing one DE shave with a bit more "santa beard" looking lather, and one straight razor shave with a more hydrated, slick version created with the same soap. Is this one additional testing parameter going to mean that the following reviews are "apples and oranges" compared to my previous reviews? Maybe, but I have 2 thoughts on this: 1. I'm not going back to review all 84 of them again, and 2. After several months of straight shaves with my "Keeper" soaps, they have performed extremely well for both types of lather. If I find something that changes my mind about a previously reviewed soap, I'll post it, but the soaps I've rated highest seem to excel in all circumstances. I would expect some "mid grade" soaps to be slightly upgraded or downgraded based on how well they handle additional hydration, but I've kind of lost my interest in "mid grade soaps" anyway. My goal now is less to find new soaps I haven't tried, and more to whittle down my excessive collection to the ones I like the very best. So, with that said, off we go to soap #85...

5 214
 02-13-2019, 11:28 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Thanks for the posts Randy, they’re always interesting.

Cheers, Steve

7 664
 02-13-2019, 12:36 PM
User Info
So, the last 2 days I've shaved with Saint Charles Shave soap. I got this sample along with several other brands that were pif'd to me by another forum member. Prior to receiving them I knew virtually nothing about them. This soap is very soft and white with almost a rubber-like consistency to it. The only soaps I've felt like this are lanolin based, so I'm guessing this may be as well, although I'm open to info from anyone who knows more than me on this one.

As for performance, this one didn't excite me much. It produced a reasonably nice, thick "santa beard" lather for the DE shave (which I like), but it didn't provide for much slickness or residual slickness. It was certainly good enough to get a good DE shave out of, but not as good as many other I've tried. For my straight shave I added more water, and the lather became very thin and bubbly, despite using plenty of product and taking my time incorporating more water. In fact, the lather dissipated on each pass before I could finish a full pass. This sample was rose scented, and I will say that it absolutely smelled like I stuck my nose right in the middle of a rose and took a big whiff, so if rose is your thing, you may really enjoy the scent of this soap. Not sure if the other scents are as dead on as this one or not, but the soap just didn't give me good enough performance to find out. As always, YMMV.

5 214
 02-13-2019, 02:15 PM
User Info
(02-13-2019, 11:28 AM)Steve56 Wrote: Thanks for the posts Randy, they’re always interesting.

Cheers, Steve
Thanks for the encouragement, Steve. That also goes for @primotenore and @shannons soaps as well. I always enjoy what you guys have to say.

5 214
 02-13-2019, 03:45 PM
User Info
(02-13-2019, 02:15 PM)Baylorgator Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 11:28 AM)Steve56 Wrote: Thanks for the posts Randy, they’re always interesting.

Cheers, Steve
Thanks for the encouragement, Steve.  That also goes for @primotenore and @shannons soaps as well. I always enjoy what you guys have to say.
Keep up the reviews, Randy. Ignore the haters, there are plenty of us who are interested.

51 4,862
 02-13-2019, 04:15 PM
User Info
(02-13-2019, 03:45 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 02:15 PM)Baylorgator Wrote:

Cheers, Steve
Thanks for the encouragement, Steve.  That also goes for @primotenore and @shannons soaps as well. I always enjoy what you guys have to say.
Keep up the reviews, Randy. Ignore the haters, there are plenty of us who are interested.
Thanks, Joseph.

5 214
 02-13-2019, 04:31 PM
User Info
Well, I’m cynical, and, I disagree with a few of BG opinions; but, I enjoy reading them and view this as a fun project.

Btw, being cynical, critical, and otherwise different does not make one a “hater.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 169
 02-13-2019, 04:53 PM
User Info
(02-13-2019, 04:31 PM)Egmont Wrote: Well, I’m cynical, and, I disagree with a few of BG opinions; but, I enjoy reading them and view this as a fun project.

Btw, being cynical, critical, and otherwise different does not make one a “hater.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m curious about where our opinions differ and what your thoughts are, if you want to share. There are several soaps that I admittedly hold the minority opinion.

5 214
 02-13-2019, 05:25 PM
User Info
I always take what I read on forums with a grain of salt not attributing any ulterior motive or anything like that but just that different things work differently for different people.  For example, some people love Vokshod blades but to me they are the worst blade I've ever used. 
Also, I will not use soap with tallow in it.

0 432