• le montagne
User Info
How do you compare the shaves?
Which do you prefer?
Why?

80 3,325
 02-19-2018, 01:00 PM
User Info
The heads are essentially the same (Variant a little bulkier) so buy the Progress if you prefer nimble or something with historical cache, the Variant if you want more heft and a grippier handle, or like the looks. That's really it.

(Photo leisureguy)
[Image: 9d3a8dca98de5b366ceac81fca5f7f3e.jpg]

1 331
 02-19-2018, 08:09 PM
User Info
I had 2 Progress razors, both with uneven blade exposure. Same with a Futur, which is a pitty considering how expensive they are and most Chinese knock offs are reported to be fine.

How is the Parker Variant in this regard?

8 949
 02-19-2018, 08:31 PM
User Info
(02-19-2018, 08:09 PM)Galhatz Wrote: I had 2 Progress razors, both with uneven blade exposure. Same with a Futur, which is a pitty considering how expensive they are and most Chinese knock offs are reported to be fine.

How is the Parker Variant in this regard!
Merkur definitely had a particularly bad patch with the Progress before they retooled a couple years ago. I bought a vintage one which is perfect. Reports re the Parker have been mostly good but definitely not perfect either. They had BlackFinishgate and Tilted SpringPlategate....I'd buy a used one you know to be good, or from a dealer or Amazon where you know an exchange will be relatively easy.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 331
 02-19-2018, 10:32 PM
User Info
My progress is one from the faulty batch. I have to align the blade and keep a firm finger on the top cap if I'm going to have anything remotely resembling a passable shave. Who needs this? I bought the Variant and it's perfect.

0 443
 02-20-2018, 06:43 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Glad I asked. I wasn't aware of the quality issues with the Progress.
My thought is if you can't make a razor with proper blade alignment, you're in the wrong business.

I have the Variant and find it to be a very good razor. Was thinking of also getting a Progress but I think I'll pass now.

80 3,325
 02-20-2018, 07:26 AM
User Info
Consider yourself lucky your Variant is ok. Forums are full of complaints there too.

It's a shame as I absolutely love my Progress , don't have any desire for the Variant.

1 331
 02-20-2018, 07:45 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(02-20-2018, 07:26 AM)jmudrick Wrote: Consider yourself lucky your Variant is ok. Forums are full of complaints there too.

It's a shame as I absolutely love my Progress , don't have any desire for the Variant.

Interesting. Hmm. Again, I was unaware of this.

80 3,325
 02-20-2018, 09:10 AM
User Info
I was happy to see this thread started.  I have both razors and like them both very much and get excellent shaves.  The build quality seems quite high in both razors I have.  

I hope everyone who is describing QC issues for one or the other is speaking from personal experience.

11 229
 02-20-2018, 09:20 AM
User Info
Has anyone else found the Variant to be more aggressive than the Progress? I had one and even when used on similar settings to the Progress, it was overly aggressive, for me. I understand the weight contributed to this slightly, but there was some other factor contributing to this. 
I don't know if I had a defective one, but even on setting 1, I found it more aggressive than the Progress on 4 or 5. 
I find the Progress a much smoother shaver. 
Before anyone asks, I had everything aligned properly.  Shy

87 21,185
 02-20-2018, 09:34 AM
User Info
That's pretty aggressive. I find the 4 setting on my Progress plenty aggressive enough. You might try a shim on the Variant and see if that helps any by giving the blade a bit more support on the bottom.

1 331
 02-20-2018, 11:37 AM
User Info
I use the Variant on setting 4.5 with a feather and I do like efficient, smooth razors. It's funny because I have seen reports before concerning the blade alignment on the Variant. I have both versions and luckily enough both of mine are perfect.

0 443
 02-20-2018, 01:40 PM
User Info
It seems one reads more about alignment issues with modern adjustables than with the classic Gillette Fatboy.

51 7,565
 02-20-2018, 01:48 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I've never had alignment issues with vintage razors and I've tried too many. QC of Merkur is not that good, while Parker has the worst reputation. Personally, I wouldn't buy any of them. Instead, I'd go for a Rockwell.

57 2,181
 02-20-2018, 02:35 PM
User Info
I'm guessing the OP would have asked about the Rockwell if they were interested in a Rockwell. It's a different kind of razor entirely. Buying a lightly used Variant or Progress on BST which aligns perfectly, as most do, seems to me better advice.

1 331
 02-20-2018, 02:41 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(02-20-2018, 02:35 PM)jmudrick Wrote: I'm guessing the OP would have asked about the Rockwell if they were interested in a Rockwell. It's a different kind of razor entirely. Buying a lightly used Variant or Progress on BST which aligns perfectly, as most do, seems to me better advice.

Matt already owns the Rockwell, by the way. Wink

I would not say they're entirely different razors, since they all offer a variety of choices. Rockwell is just a razor system, while the others are adjustable. Big deal.

It was just my opinion for someone who has not tried any of them.

57 2,181
 02-20-2018, 02:47 PM
User Info
(02-20-2018, 02:41 PM)nikos.a Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 02:35 PM)jmudrick Wrote: I'm guessing the OP would have asked about the Rockwell if they were interested in a Rockwell. It's a different kind of razor entirely. Buying a lightly used Variant or Progress on BST which aligns perfectly, as most do, seems to me better advice.

Matt already owns the Rockwell, by the way. Wink

I would not say they're entirely different razors, since they all offer a variety of choices. Rockwell is just a razor system, while the others are adjustable. Big deal.

It was just my opinion for someone who has not tried any of them.

And i would agree with you 100%

43 718
 02-20-2018, 02:49 PM
User Info
I think it's a stretch personally but I get it. And yes I prefer the Rockwell as well, it just doesn't take the place of my Progress/Gibbs/Apollo or inhabit a similar space in my mind. From reading the forums most don't use the Rockwell system the same way as a dial adjustable razor. I mean you can change blades or whole razors mid shave too if you wanted as easily as changing plates but it's just not something most folks do. Flicking a dial, well that's something else. Just my opinion. Rockwell, yeah, top notch razor and amazing value in either 6C or S dress.

1 331
 02-21-2018, 09:21 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(02-20-2018, 09:10 AM)BrickHud Wrote: I was happy to see this thread started.  I have both razors and like them both very much and get excellent shaves.  The build quality seems quite high in both razors I have.  

I hope everyone who is describing QC issues for one or the other is speaking from personal experience.
Thanks for sharing.
My Variant is definitely a keeper, from personal experience Smile

Has there been any way to predict if one razor is going to be imperfect? (Either model.)

80 3,325
 02-22-2018, 06:59 PM
User Info
Interesting on the blade alignment concerns on a Progress. I have had one for a long time but rarely used it. Would the alignment be something you can visually ascertain, or is this going to appear during a shave?

I’ve never had a razor with alignment issues so I’m curious as to what to look for.

3 55