02-19-2018, 04:07 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Until yesterday it had been a long time since I've had a bad blade.  I loaded a new Astra in my Blackbird, lathered up with some Glide and proceeded to get a rough shave.  Thinking that the problem had to be me and not the equipment I tried it again this morning.  Well, it wasn't me, it had to be the blade.  I was careful with my technique and my lather, and the shave was still terrible.  It wasn't the worst shave I've ever had but it was not a good shave and it was a rough shave as well.  I binned the blade and I'll try again tomorrow with a new blade.  How often do you get a bad blade?

10 1,696
 02-19-2018, 05:19 PM
User Info
I’m using feather SE pro’s and pro-supers exclusively these days, and I’ve only had two bad blades ever.

29 1,394
 02-19-2018, 05:26 PM
User Info
I'm fortunate and have have never gotten a dud blade.

52 7,678
 02-19-2018, 06:07 PM
User Info
I think I remember one or two Voshkods being off and I normally buy buy the 100 pack so I find them normally pretty consistently.

83 1,529
 02-20-2018, 03:54 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
After thinking about bad blades yesterday I remembered a pack of Merkur blades I had about 10 years ago that seemed to be all bad   Confused  It was only later that I realized that Merkur blades just don't agree we at all.

10 1,696
 02-20-2018, 07:37 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(02-19-2018, 04:07 PM)Sully Wrote: Until yesterday it had been a long time since I've had a bad blade.  I loaded a new Astra in my Blackbird, lathered up with some Glide and proceeded to get a rough shave.  Thinking that the problem had to be me and not the equipment I tried it again this morning.  Well, it wasn't me, it had to be the blade.  I was careful with my technique and my lather, and the shave was still terrible.  It wasn't the worst shave I've ever had but it was not a good shave and it was a rough shave as well.  I binned the blade and I'll try again tomorrow with a new blade.  How often do you get a bad blade?

Good question, Shawn. In retrospect, I can honestly say that the incidence of “bad” blades has declined as my technique has improved and become consistently repeatable. I should go back and try those brands again. Realistically, nowadays I come across only one or two bad blades a year.

8 2,770
 02-21-2018, 04:04 PM
User Info
My first two KAI blades. They sat too far to one side and blade reveal was off too in my Feather II. I began to think they were made that way, lousy shave too. Number three was just fine. Glad I gave them another chance. Been thru about thirty of them now.

0 396
 02-21-2018, 04:29 PM
User Info
I just had a bad blade Monday. I had to switch mid shave. Which isn't a big deal I suppose if I was shaving at the sink. I was in the shower though...

11 1,595
 02-21-2018, 05:16 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(02-21-2018, 04:29 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: I just had a bad blade Monday. I had to switch mid shave. Which isn't a big deal I suppose if I was shaving at the sink. I was in the shower though...

That sounds like it was less than fun.

10 1,696
 02-22-2018, 06:31 PM
User Info
I had my first shave with a Kai blade the other day and it was worse then my very first ever DE shave withe a VDH blade, which was absolutely gruesome.  I have heard many good things about Kai blades on all the forums, so I hope it was just a bad blade.  It will take some time for the wounds to heal as well as to build up the courage to try another.

0 10
 04-15-2018, 09:07 AM
  • Niro884
  • Italian Shaving Enthusiast
  • Stoney Creek, Ontario CANADA
User Info
Kai was not very favourable for me as well in my wolfman. Very rough.  It did get better by the 3 rd shave when I switched to my Weber.  The extra wide blade will probably only work with certain razors.  No issues with sharpness, just smoothness.

58 670
 04-16-2018, 05:44 AM
User Info
Every company produces the odd blade that gets by quality control.  Some manufacturers are less adept at Q.C. than others.  Gillette's St. Petersburg plant is one of the best with regard to maintaining high standards for quality, but it is statistically impossible to catch every bad blade.  I've found, generally speaking, that Astra is a lot more consistent than, say, Merkur or Timor.  I don't know exactly which blade brand Van Der Hagen sells with its re-branded Weishis, because the print bears the VDH logo rather than its actual manufacturer.  But I've never gotten a shave with VDH that hasn't given me more than a few nicks and a lot of irritation.  They're just dull blades overall.

In fact, the only blade brands that have given me ANY trouble with nicks and irritation are VDH, Feather, and Dorco Prime Platinum.  All the other brands I've used have been great, with no irritation and only the occasional tiny weeper that closed up right away on its own.  These included Voskhod, Treet Carbon Steel, Personna Lab Blue, and two types of Rapira.  The PolSIlver Stainless and the Super Iridium blades, as well as the Astra Superior Platinum, have been the most forgiving on my face and have given me the best shaves overall.  Someone sent me a tuck of Shark blades, and I'm eager to try out a tuck of Kai to see how that compares to the Feather brand.  I'm willing to trade a tuck of Voskhod and Van Der Hagen for a tuck of Kai if anyone is interested.

0 94
 04-16-2018, 11:46 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-15-2018, 09:07 AM)Niro884 Wrote: Kai was not very favourable ....  The extra wide blade will probably only work with certain razors. 

Huh  I alternate between Feather DE blades and KAI DE blades, and the lengths and the widths of the blades of both brands are, within microns, identical.

1 1,198
 04-17-2018, 03:09 PM
User Info
bad blades do happen from time to time

0 264
 05-30-2018, 03:41 PM
User Info
(02-22-2018, 06:31 PM)soundtrek Wrote: I had my first shave with a Kai blade the other day and it was worse then my very first ever DE shave withe a VDH blade, which was absolutely gruesome.  I have heard many good things about Kai blades on all the forums, so I hope it was just a bad blade.  It will take some time for the wounds to heal as well as to build up the courage to try another.

I just tried my first KAI blade this morning and the same issue. This blade is a butcher's knife seriously I am glad I bought a 5 pack. I am afraid to try another one as I never had a shave like this in years. I bought them based on reviews I swear I am done reading product reviews I am sticking to my GSB and Astra Greens.

0 7
 05-30-2018, 07:39 PM
User Info
Kai are wider so it might change the bahavoir of the razor. You can use that in your advantage. Good blades imo. But, dealing with a vlade that does jot agree with you is not worth it imo.

9 1,373
 05-30-2018, 09:03 PM
User Info
Interesting. I always liked KAI’s, but they did feel different from other blades.

29 1,394
 05-31-2018, 04:18 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-15-2018, 09:07 AM)Niro884 Wrote: Kai was not very favourable for me as well in my wolfman. Very rough.  It did get better by the 3 rd shave when I switched to my Weber.  The extra wide blade will probably only work with certain razors.  No issues with sharpness, just smoothness.
(05-30-2018, 07:39 PM)lloydrm Wrote: Kai are wider so it might change the bahavoir of the razor. You can use that in your advantage. Good blades imo. But, dealing with a vlade that does jot agree with you is not worth it imo.

O.k., so two posts in this thread independently have alleged that KAI blades are “extra wide” or “wider.”

Whether a KAI blade is wider than other DE blades is not a expression of opinion, but rather an allegation of an actual fact, subject to verification or refutation.

In fact, KAI DE blades are NOT “extra wide” or "wider" (than . . .?) .  Let us be objective.

Here, together, are a brand new Feather Hi-Stainless blade in its wrapper and a brand new KAI stainless blade in its wrapper, alongside each other:  

[Image: TanzORv.jpg]
Another view (this is a different photo, not the previous photo rotated 90°):
[Image: Ko3V8L0.jpg]

Here is the Feather blade, still in its wrapper, stuck to the wrapper with the famous wax dots:
[Image: q2YicmZ.jpg]

Here is the KAI blade, removed from its wrapper, lying partially across the top of the Feather blade:
[Image: eCnERgU.jpg]

Do you see any “extra width” there?  Will you accept the testimony of your eyes?

Here is the top cap from a Feather AS-D2 razor, with the KAI blade sitting atop it:

[Image: O5LbfKZ.jpg]

I apologize for my error as a photographer; I placed the Feather blade atop the KAI blade, still on the Feather AS-D2 top cap, but apparently knocked the two stacked blades off the guides of the cap.  You need to trust me that what you are seeing in the photo below is the Feather blade when it is stacked directly atop the KAI blade, because — except with very close examination of the image below — you cannot see any part of the KAI blade peeking out from beneath the Feather blade.  Is the KAI wider?  No.  

Here is the Feather AS-D2 top cap a third time, this time with the KAI blade stacked atop the Feather blade.  Again, you are going to have to look very carefully to see any part of the Feather blade peeking out from beneath the KAI blade, because the two blades are effectively exactly the same width:

[Image: at1xTac.jpg]

Here is the Feather blade mounted in the AS-D2 razor, with an iKon Deluxe OC baseplate substituted for the AS-D2 baseplate (because the black iKon baseplate provides a better contrast of the background), showing the blade exposure:
[Image: EPDVY5f.jpg]

Here is the KAI blade mounted in the same razor/baseplate configuration, showing (as far as can be determined) the identical amount of blade exposure:
[Image: GG7JIeT.jpg]

SUMMARY:  the KAI DE blade is neither “extra wide” nor wider than the Feather DE blade.  

Returning to the topic line of this thread (“bad blades”), I speculate that those who have reported bad experiences with KAI blades probably have been the unfortunate victims of counterfeit blades that they unwittingly purchased as genuine product.  The KAI factory in Seki, Japan, where exquisite blade craftsmanship has been legendary since the sword-fighting days of the Tokugawa shogunate, probably uses the highest precision machinery and exacts the tightest manufacturing tolerances of any razor blade producer in the world.  If you are going to catch an odd size blade that escaped quality control, the least likely candidate would be a genuine (not counterfeit) KAI blade.

1 1,198
 06-07-2018, 01:38 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Well, I know it had to be getting to be too much, all my "vintage only" talk about blades so I've kind of put a muzzle on it a while back but I must comment on the superior quality control of double edge hey days. If the package is undamaged, there is never a bad apple. If the first blade is good the last and all the ones in between are as well. It goes back to the target market. Vintage blades cost more when they were new, comparatively, than modern ones because they were made for a market that wanted the best and could afford them. They weren't  targeting poor men in third world countries who are by far the consumers of today's blades. If ever double edge shaving once again became the choice of first world, more affluent  men again then they would be making the best ever blades now with better technology and materials.  But as of now, they're not.

8 2,484