02-23-2018, 02:39 PM
User Info
It is good and terrible at the same time to reach a point of stark self-discovery

I can work wood, and I can work metal ... I cannot work leather and have it come out like I want it to.

I have designed, and have a really poor prototype of a leather travel case that I want to make (or more accurately - have made for me)

[Image: CA7q9rD.jpg]

This is for a Timeless head, a home made Ti handle, and an old Gillette blade bank

As you can see, the slot I made for the threaded post is too deep, my hand-sewn saddle-stitch is terrible, my seams aren't flat or straight .... lets see, how else can I beat myself up ... Oh - my selection of leather is wrong too .... I want something stiffer, between what I have here which is soft and really supple and something thicker like holster or belt leather.   

I used a couple neodymium magnets as a closure, but I can go with a stud closure too, but I don't think I want a tie-closure

If we have a anyone here to take on the challenge, we can discuss off line.  Thanks, Charlie

7 227
 02-23-2018, 02:56 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Charlie. Don’t beat yourself up, you must admit that the prototype you made with your very own hands is pretty cool. As you indicated, you’d need to experiment with various grades of leather. The soft leather may be more protective than you expect. Either way, congratulations on your creativity and good luck with the project!

8 2,756
 02-23-2018, 04:36 PM
User Info
Charlie, that is a very clever idea for a travel kit in leather. I can't offer any skills in making it, but I would offer two thoughts about it. First, you may find that the soft leather would work out well. I'm a fan of supple leather and personally think it would work well in that application. Second, I'd leave the blade case and head where they are (maybe spread them apart a bit) and rotate the handle 90 degrees to the right. That way when folded closed there is really no way for the handle to slip out of the case and get damaged. Just my observations.

Dave

0 98
 02-23-2018, 04:43 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
just buy one from Above The Tie.com

6 2,086
 02-23-2018, 05:49 PM
User Info
(02-23-2018, 04:43 PM)Harvey Wrote: just buy one from Above The Tie.com

I actually had an ATT case and sold it.  They are well-made, but I don't like the design with the loops holding in the parts.  

But thanks.

7 227
 02-23-2018, 06:19 PM
User Info
Looks pretty good to me. Especially if it's your first swing at it.

10 1,589
 02-23-2018, 06:40 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Actually I used to be in the shoe repair business and make holsters and knife cases but now I just use Eyeglass clamshell cases and a cleaning cloth to separate components of the razor...Merkur also makes a travel case which might give you another direction to check out....I,ll find out the model # and post it ASAP.....(46C..)

6 2,086
 02-24-2018, 01:18 AM
User Info
Practice, practice, practice... for a novice leather worker I think it came out pretty well. Straight seams and getting the cut right takes practice and experience.

I would suggest a particular grade of leather, but I don't know the English term and my google-fu is failing today... over here it's known as "rårand" or "valklær" - it's partially tanned with a 'raw' center, and if you work it while wet it'll stiffen up when it dries and maintain it's shape. It can be challenging to work with though...

3 5,356
 02-24-2018, 02:13 AM
User Info
(02-24-2018, 01:18 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Practice, practice, practice... for a novice leather worker I think it came out pretty well. Straight seams and getting the cut right takes practice and experience.

I would suggest a particular grade of leather, but I don't know the English term and my google-fu is failing today... over here it's known as "rårand" or "valklær" - it's partially tanned with a 'raw' center, and if you work it while wet it'll stiffen up when it dries and maintain it's shape. It can be challenging to work with though...

I may try some more.   More ' challenging' is probably NOT what I need right now Smile

7 227
 02-24-2018, 02:15 AM
User Info
If you don't push your limits, you wont learn... try some easier projects first to work on getting your seams straight Smile

3 5,356
 02-24-2018, 06:01 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I like the design of the case. I have the Waterfield razor case and it's great for car travel, but not planes. I don't check my bag, so when I go through the security line, they take my razor apart looking for a blade. I don't like them doing this and a case like yours where you can already have the razor taken apart would be make things easier.

3 623
 02-24-2018, 08:21 AM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
Great design.  and as has been noted above, for a prototype it is pretty good.

3 543
 03-03-2018, 06:45 PM
User Info
You are off to a good start. As far as refining it....look up your local/closest Tandy Leather store.  If the people who work there are half as good as the one I deal with, you will have what you want with little problems. The store here in Omaha offers classes and they are extremely helpful. So check to see what they offer.

0 15
 03-03-2018, 07:48 PM
User Info
(03-03-2018, 06:45 PM)willyb Wrote: You are off to a good start. As far as refining it....look up your local/closest Tandy Leather store.  If the people who work there are half as good as the one I deal with, you will have what you want with little problems. The store here in Omaha offers classes and they are extremely helpful. So check to see what they offer.

I'll see if we have something like that in our area.  Thanks

7 227
 03-03-2018, 08:21 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(03-03-2018, 07:48 PM)1981Eagle Wrote:
(03-03-2018, 06:45 PM)willyb Wrote: You are off to a good start. As far as refining it....look up your local/closest Tandy Leather store.  If the people who work there are half as good as the one I deal with, you will have what you want with little problems. The store here in Omaha offers classes and they are extremely helpful. So check to see what they offer.

I'll see if we have something like that in our area.  Thanks

Check out TANDY Leather...if still in business...has everything you will need......possibly Michaels

6 2,086