02-23-2018, 06:48 PM
  • JABF99
  • Illinois
User Info
I am new to using a straight razor, and I have an older straight razor from William (Panther308) that probably won't need to be sharpened for awhile.  I do keep it stropped on a strop I got from Tony Miller.  But at some point I am going to need to sharpen it and would like to learn how to do this myself.  I thought a budget-friendly beginning would be to try the lapping film rather than jump right in and buy some expensive stones.  But does the lapping film work very well?

0 26
 02-23-2018, 07:05 PM
User Info
Just get the stones your going to need them.

I think the best value in stones are the shapton stones. Just get a 12k. It may be all you need for now.

0 22
 02-23-2018, 07:14 PM
User Info
Some guys are big fans of lapping film. Of the current forums I think B&B and some of the shaving reddits have the most info if you do a search

3 797
 02-24-2018, 01:51 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
it works but I prefer stones, tried it for a while and then give away all the films (and pastes and sprays and what not).

28 1,475
 02-24-2018, 05:58 AM
User Info
I used lapping film quite awhile back and yes it does work and is economical but prefer stones, if a blade is in decent condition you can get by with 3 stones but would need a 1K to correct chips and geometry issues, it can be done with a 4K but just easier with a 1K .

My suggestion is start off with a 12k just to keep the edge tuned up.

7 1,545
 02-24-2018, 08:26 AM
  • JABF99
  • Illinois
User Info
Okay, thank you for the advice.  I will start with a 12k stone.  The razor is shaving great right now, and I alternate days with a Feather SS shavette that I like.  So, do I just not worry about the 12k stone until I notice a change in sharpness, and then touch it up at that point - or do you periodically use it to keep it from losing sharpness?  Right now it seems to shave as well as the day I received it from Panther308.  By the way, I love the razor & I am mighty grateful for being able to get it at such a reasonable price so I could see if I even liked shaving with a SR.  I am careful to keep it stropped... it is a very nice razor for shaving.  I am getting better with it every time I shave.

I can add a stone at a time this way.  What stones should I consider?   I watched a YouTube video by Lynn Abrams that was very positive about Naniwa Super Stones.  They have a 12k stone that I could afford.

0 26
 02-24-2018, 08:32 AM
User Info
Yes, naniwa.
Only touch up when needed. 
Ask William if he used tape.

8 1,307
 02-24-2018, 08:42 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
If the results in the beginning are not 100% to your liking remember then that it's not the stone, someone with a lot of practice will hone a razor on that same stone to another level, takes time to learn just like shaving. A cheap but good second hand razor honed by someone who knows how could be the solution, you could use that one to practice a lot.

28 1,475
 02-24-2018, 10:43 AM
  • JABF99
  • Illinois
User Info
(02-24-2018, 05:58 AM)Panther308 Wrote: I used lapping film quite awhile back and yes it does work and is economical but prefer stones, if a blade is in decent condition you can get by with 3 stones but would need a 1K to correct chips and geometry issues, it can be done with a 4K but just easier with a 1K .

My suggestion is start off with a 12k just to keep the edge tuned up.

I understand that it won't need sharpening for awhile, but when it does, should I use tape on the spine of the razor when I sharpen it?

0 26
 02-24-2018, 10:55 AM
User Info
[Image: W9NmvDI.png]
Always before sharpening.

8 1,307