09-01-2012, 08:03 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I found a Gillette New long comb today at one of the local antique stores. It came in a case that looks like a "Federal" according to mr-razor.com. The blade box is in great shape, the case is worn, but not decrepit and you can read most of the stuff on the inside of the lid. The lacquer over the gold is mostly gone on the razor, there are typical hairline cracks at the top and bottom of the handle (it's a ball end version). The head looks to be in good user condition, no bent teeth. The handle actually came apart into three pieces: the top threaded piece, the middle knurled tube and the bottom ball end. I am now in the process of stabilizing all that with epoxy. I filled both ends of the tube with lots of epoxy and stuck the end pieces back into place. Put the whole thing into a desk vice and will wait for the epoxy to set. I made sure the long crack was filled with epoxy and some came out when I re-assembled the handle. This is why no pictures yet.

This is my very first open comb razor. I have never shaved with an OC before. I have read a lot of good things about the New long comb, so I jumped on this one (it was $12 because of the damaged handle). Any words of wisdom will be appreciated about this razor and the OC technique in general. I will try it either tomorrow or the next day. I want the epoxy to really set in that handle. I really like the Tech solid handles better, but the thicker New handle is nicer to hold and just looks right on that razor. There are some patents printed on the handle. Will examine everything closer when the handle is stabilized.

25 1,705
 09-01-2012, 08:18 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Use that NEW long comb in the best of health. I have one and really enjoy the shaves I get from it.

Many of the same rules apply: little or no pressure, correct angle, etc. While not overly aggressive, they are not exactly Gillette Techs, either. You should be fine.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you did with the razor.

2 11,211
 09-01-2012, 08:50 PM
User Info
It's a nice razor. This from an aggressive razor junkie. Keep reading.

If you're not happy with the handle even after repair a Tech handle fits it fine. Sure it'll be a Frankenrazor, but IMO it's the head that counts.

Want it more aggressive? Add a shim or 2.

Enjoy!

32 6,309
 09-02-2012, 07:46 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(09-01-2012, 08:50 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: It's a nice razor. This from an aggressive razor junkie. Keep reading.

If you're not happy with the handle even after repair a Tech handle fits it fine. Sure it'll be a Frankenrazor, but IMO it's the head that counts.

Enjoy!

I just shaved with it this morning even though I usually skip shaving on Sundays and let the skin recover a bit (I've been shaving every other day lately and that has done wonders for my skin health). I used one of my Tech handles as the original handle is still drying in the desk vise. I want to give it full 24 hours before I disturb it. I loaded a Super Max Super Platinum with two shaves on it. The shave was great, but I did get a few tiny cuts on the neck. I didn't even feel them until I saw red. The feel of the shave was wonderful. Smooth and not unlike other razors I have save for efficiency. I could feel the cutting action being a lot more effective. Still, it took me 4 passes and I got my usual BBS on face and DFS on neck with above mentioned cuts. As I said, I've been shaving every other day and that makes shaves feel better. This was a shave with about 24 hours worth of growth, which for me is not that much, just prickly stubble that is mostly not visible. I enjoyed the shave very much, but it did irritate my neck and gave me a few tiny cuts that were not bleeding by the time I was done.

In short, I love the razor and as I get more familiar with it I have a feeling I'll be retiring my mild razors and exploring more of the OC world. I see a FaTip in my future or the new OC head from Shave-A-Buck.

My DE razors so far have been:
  • EJ DE89BA Barley Chrome - my first DE razor that started me on this path
  • Gillette ball end Techs
  • Gillette Super Speeds (40's and a flare tip) - the 40's is my goto
  • Merkur 34C - sold that because I found it too similar to EJ and not as nicely finished.

As you see, all mild razors. Now I am realizing more aggressive would be welcome as my technique and feel for pressure is more refined. I've been really wanting to try a slant, but had hard time finding one on BST. I also want to try a red tip as I simply adore the Gillette TTO's. I wonder if the red tip would be a good choice for me for a more aggressive TTO. When I came across this New at the antique store for $12, though I jumped on it. It came with a "Federal" case and blade box, both in pretty good condition. As I said the handle was coming apart, but I am not afraid of repairs like that, so I grabbed it. I am sure glad I did. I really like the shave and beginning to understand the whole OC/aggressive razor thing. I am also glad I waited for almost 6 months of DE shaving to jump in because I feel like I learned a lot with my mild razors as far as technique. What to do with all the mild ones now?

25 1,705
 09-02-2012, 08:02 AM
User Info
Like to see some pics of your repair job

5 135
 09-02-2012, 08:45 AM
User Info
(09-01-2012, 08:50 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: It's a nice razor. This from an aggressive razor junkie. Keep reading.

Enjoy!

+1 One shim should be enough, but only after you have used it for a little while and are comfortable with it!
i would not overlook those closed-comb razors, though, especially if you put one shim in them. i have been having great results with mine and i love open-combs. Good luck.

75 20,883
 09-02-2012, 02:39 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(09-02-2012, 08:45 AM)celestino Wrote: +1 One shim should be enough, but only after you have used it for a little while and are comfortable with it!
i would not overlook those closed-comb razors, though, especially if you put one shim in them. i have been having great results with mine and i love open-combs. Good luck.

How does one "shim" a blade in a razor? I understand you would do it to make an angle of the blade more acute (right?), but how do you do it? I would like to try it on on my 40's SS.

(09-02-2012, 08:02 AM)ElliotR Wrote: Like to see some pics of your repair job

Here are some pictures of the razor after the repair, but there is really nothing visibly different from when it was falling apart.

The difference is it is no longer falling apart. Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures of the handle in three pieces, but just imagine the ball separate from the middle knurled part and the fluted shiny piece that screws into the head also separate. what I did was I filled the tube at either end with enough epoxy to cover the length of the longest crack on that side. I then assembled the handle with long crack at the bottom where it will experience a lot less torque. After assembly I was happy to observe the epoxy oozing out of the larger cracks. That told me that the pressure of assembly forced the epoxy into the cracks. I then put the assembled handle into a desk vise (small plastic jaw vise that no DIYer should be without) and left alone for about 12 hours. I shaved with the head on top of a ball end Tech handle this morning. The ball end Tech handle is skinnier, but is solid brass, it seems. That's why they don't have the cracking problems of News. Right now the New handle feels extremely solid and sturdy, but looks about the same and the patent info is upside down near the head instead of right side up near the ball. It's still a hell of a cool razor.

25 1,705
 09-04-2012, 05:55 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Just had my second shave with this razor and second shave ever with an OC. I absolutely LOVE it! It is smooth, efficient and gave me the closest, most effortless shave I have had in a while. The first shave with it was when I only had one day's worth of growth and I just do not get enough growth in one day for a good shave to happen. Stubble is very wiry, but short and I usually end up with irritation on my neck, especially in the summer. So, I shave every other day to avoid that. When I got this New I couldn't wait and shaved with it right away and got my usual irritation, so I could not judge how good a shaver it was. But this morning I had my usual 48 hours' worth of growth and boy did this razor mow it down! I am not sure if it's the OC or just more aggressive blade gap/angle, but this thing is efficient! I am not sure I'll be able to go back to my mild razors now. I (re)started wet shaving earlier this year and have acquired an EJ DE89 Barley Chrome as my first DE and I liked it fine, then got a Merkur 34C and liked it, but traded it away (regret it now), then I got the vintage Gillette bug and that pretty much provided me with my goto razor: 40's Super Speed. I absolutely love the TTO as I remove the blade after every shave. However, the Super Speed being an awesome and beautiful shaving tool is now too mild for me. My beard is very tough, I guess. I did not realize any of this, of course until I tried a more aggressive razor. Now I feel a bit OC RAD coming on. And will most likely have to join the BOTOC. Not sure I can shave with anything else now...

25 1,705
 09-04-2012, 06:00 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
You did a really nice job on that razor.

100 12,439
 09-04-2012, 06:21 AM
User Info
The OC New Long Comb was the first vintage Gillette I purchased and it is a fine, fine, fine shaver. I've moved off my Gillettes in favor of other razors, but if I could only buy Gillette, then this would be on the list. You did a great job fixing that razor and it will give you many good shaves.

The other OC's you might want to check out are the Single Ring Gillettes and the Gillette Olds. You might also like the Bulldog, but I found it too much for me. Good luck.

5 298
 09-04-2012, 06:36 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Thanks. This razor is no beauty queen, but boy, does she shave well! The handle is completely stable now and the cracks are only a visual indication of the tool's age. Structurally the handle feels 100% solid. I really enjoyed shaving with it this morning. So effortless and comfortable. I don't mind the used look at all. This thing is old, much older than I am and works perfectly well. I like a tool with character. I will most likely get another one, maybe a short comb or another LC in better shape, but this thing has earned a place in my heart as the first OC aggressive razor I've tried. I also wonder if there is a TTO OC? I think I've seen one. Aristocrat? I really love the TTO feature since I tend to remove the blade after each shave and rince the razor. Keeps them less gummed up with soap scum.

25 1,705
 09-04-2012, 03:10 PM
User Info
I know exactly the attraction to older razors that show their age! To me that look is actually an attraction.

You asked how to shim a razor? Let me see if I can find the thread...

How to shim a razor

32 6,309
 09-04-2012, 04:33 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(09-04-2012, 03:10 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I know exactly the attraction to older razors that show their age! To me that look is actually an attraction.

How to shim a razor

Brian, thanks a lot! This is great. I'll try it. So far I am pretty much hooked on the New LC and can't wait for the next shave.

25 1,705
 09-04-2012, 04:37 PM
User Info
(09-04-2012, 04:33 PM)vferdman Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 03:10 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I know exactly the attraction to older razors that show their age! To me that look is actually an attraction.

How to shim a razor

Brian, thanks a lot! This is great. I'll try it. So far I am pretty much hooked on the New LC and can't wait for the next shave.

O.K. you now should go and post your entry in the BOTOC thread and join the fun!

Welcome to the club!

1 2,827
 09-06-2012, 09:31 PM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
I love the NEW lc! My advice is this: Try it out with a Shark ss blade sometime. I´ve done that and for me it seemed like they work very well together.

To be completly honest i think you can get away with anything in a NEW. I even got a completly decent shave with a Supermax Stainless (Blue Paper) in a NEW. Something that says much about the NEWs ability. Wink

0 284
 09-07-2012, 03:30 PM
User Info
I also wonder if there is a TTO OC? I think I've seen one. Aristocrat? I really love the TTO feature since I tend to remove the blade after each shave and rince the razor. Keeps them less gummed up with soap scum.
[/quote]

* Valdimir, have you tried shimming one of your mild razors, yet. Also, here are some pictures of the open-comb Aristocrats you were wondering about. If you like the NEW, then you would love these. The first two are American 30s, and the second ones are the British.

[attachment=5949][attachment=5950]

75 20,883
 09-07-2012, 06:04 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(09-07-2012, 03:30 PM)celestino Wrote: I also wonder if there is a TTO OC? I think I've seen one. Aristocrat? I really love the TTO feature since I tend to remove the blade after each shave and rince the razor. Keeps them less gummed up with soap scum.

* Valdimir, have you tried shimming one of your mild razors, yet. Also, here are some pictures of the open-comb Aristocrats you were wondering about. If you like the NEW, then you would love these. The first two are American 30s, and the second ones are the British.

[/quote]

Wow! That's nice. I'd love to try one of those. Haven't seen them on 'bay. Are they rare? Expensive? I love TTO idea. 40's SS was my daily driver over the EJ DE89 (though EJ is one sweet razor).

25 1,705
 09-07-2012, 07:03 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have the Gillette Sheraton, a TTO open comb razor and the shave it offers is pretty awful. That seems to be the feeling of many.

2 11,211