03-04-2018, 09:43 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

I did not know what to expect from the OneBlade. It was a new concept in safety razors that borrowed some of the features of the old. I like blinking at the past while plying in the present. The OneBlade was a stainless steel razor with a pivoting shave head, which placed it halfway between the lowly cartridge razor and the efficient single edge safety razor. So what to make of that?

After years of straight razor shaving, with a sprinkling of safety razors, double and single edge, I think I needed something different. By now, I have shaved with a big lineup of vintage safety razors —*Gillette, GEM, Ever-Ready — and a parade of modern razors — Merkur, Muhle, Edwin Jagger, Tradere, Pils, iKon, Joris, Fatip, Feather, Wolfman, BBS, Above the Tie, Timeless, Paradigm, and so on — liked some and some not all that much.

By the way, in the high end modern razors I mentioned, the Timeless stands above all others in efficiency coupled with comfort. For me, anyway. My current collection of safety razors includes a lineup of Gillette, GEM and Schick injector razors, as well as the .68 Timeless sitting on a masculine Russian-made titanium handle, Charcoal Goods L2, Alumigoose, RazoRock Mamba and Feather AS D-2. These days I prefer mild or mildly aggressive razors, and these serve me well.

As for the straight razor, physical limitations in my shoulders and hands pose some difficulties shaving with it. Not only that, but I think I am also tired of the straight razor, at least for now, and don't enjoy it as I once did. I still hone straights, though, as I find the process relaxing and enjoyable.

So I think I was ripe for something different — the OneBlade — although I was ambivalent about the razor's concept, especially the pivoting head — would it last? Some shavers even considered it a gimmick. I did not, even though I had never used the razor. I think I saw potential in it, although unsure what that was. Regardless, something drew me to the OneBlade, and gut feeling told me to go for it.

After couple weeks of shaving with the OneBlade, first with the mostly plastic Core model and then the stainless steel Genesis, I love the razor. It gives me an efficient shave that is also comfortable. My skin loves it. I have an extremely sensitive skin set against a heavy beard. The Muhle R41, which I consider just a mean razor, gave me a close shave, closest I had ever had, but the bloody thing irritated my skin as if blow torched. OY! Anyway . . . My shaving motto has always been: comfort over perfect. I have both with the OneBlade. 

I use the same technique, more or less, for the OneBlade as I have for all my other razors, straight and safety: skin stretching, short strokes and no pressure. I don't see any reason to break those habits. I am not sure how much of the pivoting I use in the razor, but that is of little concern to me at this time. I probably use enough without feeling it. I think my technique will  evolve to take advantage of the razor's special features as I go along. For now, I just put the razor flat on my face and the two of us work perfectly well together for an efficient and comfortable shave.

I do like the razor's weight, and the balance in my hands where I hold the handle. Nothing slippery about the handle. The razor is easy to maneuver. Loading the blade is easy, too, as is removing it from the razor. I scrub all my safety razors after each shave with soap and a silky soft synthetic brush. My Mama always told me to be a good boy keep clean. So there . . .

The OneBlade uses the Feather FHS Hi-stainless single edge razors that come in packs of 10. I get two comfortable shaves from each blade. Three is a stretch. Why push it? For double edge safety razors, two shaves per blade doesit for me. Sometimes one. Two shaves for the GEM single edge, two or three for the Feather Artist Club blades.

The OneBlade Genesis is a pricey razor at about $399, yes, but to me it's worth every penny, not only because it is efficient and comfortable, but I really enjoy shaving with it. The Core, mostly in plastic, is around $50, and that's worth every penny, too. I plan to use the Core for travel. The Feather FHS-10 Hi-Stainless blades cost more than most other blades, but I'm not complaining. With a Lamborghini and a Rolls Royce in my garage, I don't fret over the price of gas. Also, the packaging is pure class: the razor came in an all-leather box fit for the queen's gems. I like pretty things, and this packaging is pretty and well suited for a pretty razor.

My only complaint about the OneBlade razor — and it has nothing to do with the razor itself — is the heavy glue on the blades. It's glue on steroids. For heaven's sake, Feather people, ease up on the stuff. So I thoroughly wash off the glue from the blades before use.

Ah, but that's such a tiny minus in shaving with the OneBlade, a razor I truly love, and a razor that I am sure was designed for me.

Good stuff the OneBlade.

[Image: jWUaztC.jpg]

165 3,439
 03-04-2018, 10:54 AM
User Info
Well said Obie. I used my OneBlade for the first time in too long; been using the Blackland Sabre. It was a great shave and I’ll make sure to use it more often again.

Given your physical challenges I’m not surprised at how well you are getting along with the OneBlade. Keep getting amazing shaves and thanks for sharing with us your experiences.

31 8,059
 03-04-2018, 11:02 AM
User Info
You have great taste in cars! If you like the pivot head on the Oneblade, you should look into the Personna floating head with twin injector blades. Those injector blades are sharper, longer lasting and the razor has proven its worth for decades.

12 242
 03-04-2018, 11:06 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(03-04-2018, 10:54 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Well said Obie. I used my OneBlade for the first time in too long; been using the Blackland Sabre. It was a great shave and I’ll make sure to use it more often again.

Given your physical challenges I’m not surprised at how well you are getting along with the OneBlade. Keep getting amazing shaves and thanks for sharing g with us your experiences.

Brian, my friend,

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, at my age, I have the flexibility in my shoulders, and my hands have arthritis. In fact, as I did in straight razor shaving, I have to switch hands with the safety razors, too, as it is difficult to, say, reach across with my right hand to shave south to north on the left side of my face. For that, I have to use the left hand. And so on.

Aside from my physical challenges, the OneBlade is an absolute joy to use. The more I use it, I am sure the more I will like it. Of course, I will continue to use my other modern safety razors, too — Timeless, Feather AS D-2, Charcoal Goods (what a beautiful razor), RazoRock Mamba and Alumigoose.

By the way, I am also impressed with the OneBlade shave cream. It has a lavender scent and reminds me quite a bit of Castle Forbes, my favorite shave cream, not only in fragrance, but also in performance. I am really happy with all this good stuff.

Stay well, my friend,
Obie

165 3,439
 03-04-2018, 11:10 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(03-04-2018, 11:02 AM)SweetReason Wrote: You have great taste in cars! If you like the pivot head on the Oneblade, you should look into the Personna floating head with twin injector blades. Those injector blades are sharper, longer lasting and the razor has proven its worth for decades.

I remember that razor. Did I ever use it? I might have, although I am not sure. So long ago. Thanks for your suggestion.

165 3,439
 03-04-2018, 11:41 AM
User Info
Great summary. I have just recently returned to using the One Blade as my daily razor now that I finally tried the Gem blades. Now my shaves are even better.

0 195
 03-04-2018, 11:47 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(03-04-2018, 11:41 AM)Red One Wrote: Great summary.  I have just recently returned to using the One Blade as my daily razor now that I finally tried the Gem blades.  Now my shaves are even better.
Jim,
I have not used the GEM blades in my razor, as I do like the Feather blades. One of these days I might give the GEMs a try in the OneBlade.

165 3,439
 03-04-2018, 12:38 PM
User Info
The OB, truly gives a carefree efficient shave but I use mine spaingly, as I do like to use a bit of hard learned technique in my shave, the REX and the 17-4 are used more often than the OB for this reason. It is however an excellent razor and great when I'm in a hurry. It will not bite or give any irritation regardless of how quickly I shave with it.

0 443
 03-04-2018, 01:30 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Obie, your posts are always a wonderful read. This is no exception. I think it's great that you're so excited about your new hardware and incredible shaves. Thanks for sharing and enjoy Smile

8 2,750
 03-04-2018, 01:52 PM
User Info
Oneblade is my daily driver for last few weeks. Having sold off my Cobra recently, this is the only SE Razor that I have (a brass General is on it's way though). I reach out to Oneblade more than my DE razor. Lasts only 3-4 shaves on me but I really like the comfort of using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,047
 03-04-2018, 05:39 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(03-04-2018, 01:30 PM)chazt Wrote: Obie, your posts are always a wonderful read.  This is no exception. I think it's great that you're so excited about your new hardware and incredible shaves. Thanks for sharing and enjoy Smile
Bless your heart for the kind words, my friend. Thank you.

165 3,439
 03-06-2018, 06:31 AM
  • jar
User Info
I just put my OneBlade Genesis up and switched to the Bronze Timeless.  The shaving results are the same and they are both great examples of what's being done today.  The Occam's Razor has been another very pleasant surprise in modern razors.

0 253
 03-06-2018, 01:56 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Jar,
Yes, the Timeless and OneBlade compare well in quality and smoothness of shave. I have gone through the full range of Timeless razors and have settled on the 0.68 scalloped mounted on a titanium handle made by a Russian artisan. I love the razor. Of course, I can't say enough good things about the OneBlade, too. Good stuff.

165 3,439
 03-23-2018, 03:42 PM
User Info
(03-22-2018, 06:54 PM)Davd_XDm9 Wrote: What a great scam OneBlade has going on with there Core and Genesis I guess they have to make it up with all the returns they have been receiving

I was unaware that OneBlade is having to deal will lots of returns and that they are scamming consumers given their (granted) high prices are public knowledge.  Did they publish these details on their website?   Blush

Obie, I am so glad you found the OneBlade and that it works so well for you.  It does for me as well.

62 499
 03-23-2018, 04:27 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(03-23-2018, 03:42 PM)poonjaji Wrote:
(03-22-2018, 06:54 PM)Davd_XDm9 Wrote: What a great scam OneBlade has going on with there Core and Genesis I guess they have to make it up with all the returns they have been receiving

I was unaware that OneBlade is having to deal will lots of returns and that they are scamming consumers given their (granted) high prices are public knowledge.  Did they publish these details on their website?   Blush

Obie, I am so glad you found the OneBlade and that it works so well for you.  It does for me as well.
Poonjaji,

Yes, it's a sweet shaver, my friend. I come from the straight razor world, where every shave is a challenge. The OneBlade is nice and easy, as well as a good change of pace. As for the gentleman's accusation that the OneBlade is "a great scam" and the company is having to deal "with all the returns they have been receiving," I am not privy to such company details.

165 3,439
 04-29-2018, 03:06 PM
User Info
(03-04-2018, 01:52 PM)Jags009 Wrote: Oneblade is my daily driver for last few weeks. Having sold off my Cobra recently, this is the only SE Razor that I have (a brass General is on it's way though). I reach out to Oneblade more than my DE razor. Lasts only 3-4 shaves on me but I really like the comfort of using it.

greetings
how do you find the Oneblade compared to the Cobra?
I have a Cobra which I find to be great if I dont shave every day.

0 3
 04-29-2018, 04:54 PM
User Info
(04-29-2018, 03:06 PM)sybil8 Wrote:
(03-04-2018, 01:52 PM)Jags009 Wrote: Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greetings
how do you find the Oneblade compared to the Cobra?
I have a Cobra which I find to be great if I dont shave every day.

Cobra was far too aggressive for my skin and gave me irritation on chin area. I am a daily shaver and prefer something less aggressive. I prefer comfort over anything else.

3 1,047
 04-29-2018, 05:55 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
The OneBlade and the Cobra are two completely different razors, in every way except that both are single edge safety razors. The Cobra is a mid-aggressive razor, whereas the OneBlade is on the upper end of mild. Also, the OneBlade has a pivoting shave head that serves a specific function. For a daily shaver that is all about comfort and efficiency, the OneBlade ranks high. I do enjoy mine. I prefer two shaves per blade.

165 3,439
 04-30-2018, 04:36 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I see many Oneblades in Selling threads lately. What surprises me is that you have to offer it at about $250 if you want to sell it, while the retail of these is $399.

I had this razor for quite a while, but eventually sold it as well. Blade availability was my issue, other than that it's excellent.

57 2,181
 04-30-2018, 05:02 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Nick,
I had to sell my Genesis earlier this month, because I needed funds for an emergency. Once the problem was resolved, I ordered another Genesis. I don't understand the low resale value for the OneBlade, as it is a sweet razor.

165 3,439