03-04-2018, 03:29 PM
User Info
How do you get rid of old blades? My solution is a $1.00 bank. Holds a lot of used blades. The Nivea is there for size comparison.
[Image: 6ETSdW3.jpg]

0 399
 03-04-2018, 03:43 PM
User Info
I've been using a can that originally had chicken stock in it for several years. I think from around 2010. I put a slot in the top with a utility knife and rinsed it out really well and then took the label off. I had a can of white spray paint in the garage so I painted it white. 

It's really heavy now. I have had to shuffle it around to get the last few blades to slip all the way in. I think it will probably last the rest of the year or close to it. I never thought it would last this long in the first place. 

I've been keeping an eye out for a nice replacement though.

11 1,596
 03-04-2018, 03:44 PM
User Info
(03-04-2018, 03:29 PM)zipper Wrote: How do you get rid of old blades? My solution is a $1.00 bank. Holds a lot of used blades. The Nivea is there for size comparison.
[Image: 6ETSdW3.jpg]
I use an old plastic rubbing alcohol bottle. When it's full I'll dispose of it at my local pharmacy.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

6 728
 03-04-2018, 05:25 PM
User Info
 03-04-2018, 05:52 PM
User Info
i have been using the rockwell bank for a bit...i think it holds about a year and a half worth of blades

0 39
 03-04-2018, 11:13 PM
User Info
If they come in a plastic tuck, I just use the, "used blades" slot.  If not, I put them in my Feather blade bank.  Theres lots of other, probably cheaper options.  Ive seen people use only coffee cans with a slit in the top for disposing of their blades.

0 79
 03-05-2018, 11:10 AM
User Info
I place mine on a kleenex, fold the kleenex over the blade, break it twice, fold it over several times and toss it.

10 69
 03-05-2018, 11:47 AM
User Info
[Image: 2017-02-14%2B21.40.13.jpg][Image: 2017-02-14%2B21.40.20.jpg]
Often referred to as a "sharps container", variations is available for cheap at your local pharmacy or medical supply store. While the tub is ugly, it's also sturdy, near unable to open once it's sealed, big enough for years and years of shaving and can be handed in for safe disposal later.

Overkill? Perhaps - but better safe than sorry, and unlike an old pill bottle or a slot in the wall it wont cause a nasty surprise for someone else down the line.

3 5,443
 03-05-2018, 02:15 PM
User Info
I have a cheapo Feather blade bank like Ricardo's that I keep in my bathroom.  Used blades go in there.  In the garage I keep a Mason jar of salt water.  When the blade bank is full, I dump it into the Mason jar.  The salt water eventually dissolves the "stainless steel" blades into a rust-colored mush.  I empty the blade bank into the Mason jar about once a year.  I've never emptied the Mason jar.  After several years, it looks like a jar of water with red sand in the bottom, which is basically what it is.

This used to be a real problem.  Back in the day, farmers would feed garbage to hogs.  Many a hog died an uncomfortable death by ingesting a razor blade that had been casually tossed in the trash.

11 241
 03-05-2018, 02:30 PM
User Info
(03-05-2018, 02:15 PM)BrickHud Wrote: I have a cheapo Feather blade bank like Ricardo's that I keep in my bathroom.  Used blades go in there.  In the garage I keep a Mason jar of salt water.  When the blade bank is full, I dump it into the Mason jar.  The salt water eventually dissolves the "stainless steel" blades into a rust-colored mush.  I empty the blade bank into the Mason jar about once a year.  I've never emptied the Mason jar.  After several years, it looks like a jar of water with red sand in the bottom, which is basically what it is.

This used to be a real problem.  Back in the day, farmers would feed garbage to hogs.  Many a hog died an uncomfortable death by ingesting a razor blade that had been casually tossed in the trash.

Very interesting method. Think I'll do it... Thumbup

0 399
 03-08-2018, 06:17 AM
User Info
(03-05-2018, 02:15 PM)BrickHud Wrote: I have a cheapo Feather blade bank like Ricardo's that I keep in my bathroom.  Used blades go in there.  In the garage I keep a Mason jar of salt water.  When the blade bank is full, I dump it into the Mason jar.  The salt water eventually dissolves the "stainless steel" blades into a rust-colored mush.  I empty the blade bank into the Mason jar about once a year.  I've never emptied the Mason jar.  After several years, it looks like a jar of water with red sand in the bottom, which is basically what it is.

Are you sure those aren't carbon steel blades that you are disposing of in the salt water solution?. Stainless steel doesn't rust.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

6 728
 03-08-2018, 10:28 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-08-2018, 06:17 AM)chevyguy Wrote: Are you sure those aren't carbon steel blades that you are disposing of in the salt water solution?. Stainless steel doesn't rust.

Ah, but it does.  It is, after all, stainless steel, and not nostain steel.  Stainless steel rusts less readily than unalloyed steel.

1 1,198
 03-08-2018, 12:45 PM
User Info
(03-08-2018, 10:28 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(03-08-2018, 06:17 AM)chevyguy Wrote: Are you sure those aren't carbon steel blades that you are disposing of in the salt water solution?. Stainless steel doesn't rust.

Ah, but it does.  It is, after all, stainless steel, and not nostain steel.  Stainless steel rusts less readily than unalloyed steel.

I have hundreds of modern stainless steel razor blades sitting as red-orange sludge at the bottom of a Mason jar that will attest to this.

11 241
 03-08-2018, 01:07 PM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
(03-04-2018, 11:13 PM)Badgerstate Wrote: If they come in a plastic tuck, I just use the, "used blades" slot.  If not, I put them in my Feather blade bank.  Theres lots of other, probably cheaper options.  Ive seen people use only coffee cans with a slit in the top for disposing of their blades.

I tried the "used blades" slot when travelling. I didn't realize that one slid out and was loose in my dopp kit. Almost grabbed that sucker while digging through it.

Now I just put them in a pill bottle when I travel and toss them in the bank when i get home. I dull them on an aftershave bottle just to be a little bit safer when i have to put them in the bank.

My bank is a plastic vitamin bottle with the cap glued on. I cut a small slit with a utility knife. I have been using it for almost 3 years and it is not nearly half full.

0 387
 03-12-2018, 11:11 AM
User Info
I think I got my used blade tins from West Coast Shaving years ago.  I've only filled one or two but they go into the metal recycle bin at our county landfill station.

4 49
 03-13-2018, 09:55 AM
User Info
I have two blade banks such as the one on reply #4.  However, if you use blades from Personna or Merkur you can use the empty plastic holder to safely put used blades in and dispose of.

[Image: 5LxkWfG.jpg]

0 280
 03-13-2018, 12:49 PM
User Info
Yes, the plastic containers are great for travel too.

4 49