09-02-2012, 04:17 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I know that many use the Personna 74's and Gillette's, Wilkinson's and some others from the ?70's and ?80's but any knowledge and feelings about using even older vintage blades sealed in the package/wrapper would be appreciated. Some of these that I am referring to date back to the 40's and 50's.

I understand about the rust/possible rust issues but if a blade appears to be clean after unwrapping and then an alcohol dip is used just in case, is it OK to use them?

I have been using vintage Injector blades with great results. I find them to be superior to the current production. I just started using with without any thought and thankfully, all has been OK.

I'm not sure about the Gillette's, the Gems and the rest of them though. I can't imagine that they are all stainless steel, (though one pack of the Gems I have does state stainless steel), nor do I think any of them have any kind of coating on the edges.

Any help is much appreciated!

Eric

6 905
 09-02-2012, 04:23 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
The only vintage blades I've used are a few injector blades and some Gillette Spoilers, and Personna 74's. I've always checked them for rust and if they had any, they just got thrown out. At an antique store last weekend I found 3 boxes of Gillette Spoilers (15 blades in a box) for $3 but turned em down. There was buildup on each of the blades I pulled out of the pack. I just don't trust buildup. Had they been in the packaging and unopened, I'd have bought them all at 3X the price, but just not taking a chance on it.

116 3,804
 09-02-2012, 01:24 PM
User Info
I have a pack of old Schick Injector blades that work better than the new injector blades from Personna.
I've tried a Gillette blue blade (wasn't crazy about it)
I've tried a few of the Gillette spoilers that came with some of my Gillette travel razors and liked them.

0 4
 09-02-2012, 01:38 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I tried a Gillette Super Blue Blade last week. It was pretty awful, I'm surprised I pushed through one whole pass before switching out.

35 1,732
 09-02-2012, 01:53 PM
User Info
I'm surprised Gillette took over the shaving market with blades like the old super blue. My experience with it was like shaving with a lid off a sardine can.

0 4
 09-02-2012, 02:23 PM
  • leo
  • Two Rivers WI
User Info
I tried shaving with a Gillette blade from the 40's and I can't say I liked it.
I have a few of them left but I think they are best kept as a novelty items.

0 126
 09-02-2012, 02:55 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Some of thss really old vintage blades are terrible. The Gillette blue blades were no good when I first used them years ago and nothing has changed.

100 12,445
 09-02-2012, 03:14 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
(09-02-2012, 02:55 PM)slantman Wrote: Some of thss really old vintage blades are terrible. The Gillette blue blades were no good when I first used them years ago and nothing has changed.

Out of curiosity, which blades did you prefer then?

35 1,732
 09-02-2012, 06:14 PM
User Info
EHV, the rust spoken of on old carbon steel blades is invisible to the naked eye. But even when new it didn't take long for them to rust. The very first pack of blades I bought as a teenager were (I know now), micro rusty and that's why I couldn't shave with the razor I bought on the same day.

Any vintage SS blade will be fine to use, but I've never gotten a good shave from a vintage CS blade. Best to just hold onto them as curiousities.

32 6,309
 09-02-2012, 08:24 PM
User Info
Eric, i have tried a few DE blades and some were terrible and some good. i am still experimenting with the remaining ones that i have.

75 20,883