09-02-2012, 09:04 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Sorry, if this stuff bores you guys but I like messing around with brushes. I had a shave with the Thater I rehandled this morning and wasn't totally satisfied with it. It was borderline luxury but I thought it could be a little better. I scrounged around a came up with a handle with a deeper hole. I dropped the loft another 5mm. The knot and handle doesn't quite make it proportionally but it close and that can be corrected later with a new handle. It should be darn close now and if I want I can raise the loft a penny at a time. Shave 2 in the morning. We'll see. Looking at the pic, it would make it with this handle but I'll probably redrill the one I used yesterday. The handle is the same material.
[Image: THATER_EMPEROR_001.jpg]
free picture hosting

12 743
 09-02-2012, 10:05 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(09-02-2012, 09:04 AM)oscar11 Wrote: Sorry, if this stuff bores you guys but I like messing around with brushes. I had a shave with the Thater I rehandled this morning and wasn't totally satisfied with it. It was borderline luxury but I thought it could be a little better. I scrounged around a came up with a handle with a deeper hole. I dropped the loft another 5mm. The knot and handle doesn't quite make it proportionally but it close and that can be corrected later with a new handle.

Hi

Can't speak for anyone else, but this stuff doesn't bore me in the slightest, it's insightful, interesting to see the steps one needs to go through when looking to make the "perfect" shaving brush...

Being brutally honest here (I mean no offence), the knot size looks too big for that handle, the handle needs more material (width) for that knot (IMHO).

What loft heights have you tried so far with that 26mm knot and what loft height are you honing in on?

Take care, Mike

Edit: Fixed grammar.

23 1,872
 09-02-2012, 10:46 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
First off, no offense taken. It's at 45mm right now and that's where I'll try it tomorrow. For this mornings shave it was at 50mm. I would hope to be able to increase the loft slightly but it is a fan style so maybe not. My guess is that this should be very close. Tomorrows shave will tell the tale. Thanks for your comments.

12 743
 09-02-2012, 12:23 PM
User Info
Wow, I'd expect a much tighter bloom for 26x45mm.

48mm might be perfect, but 45 looks pretty darn close.

What's the total height of the knot? 65mm standard?

9 2,988