03-11-2018, 12:17 PM
  • DannyZ
  • Oklahoma via Vicenza, Italy
User Info
Quote:I just had my first shave with a vintage Gillette razor; a 1953 Tech. Probably the smoothest shave I've ever had. This razor was amazing. I have a 1953 blue tip on the way and I can't wait to try it. Count me in as a vintage fanboy.  A big thank you to Jack Goldman for sending me this razor. The generosity of rhis man is beyond measure.

1 73
 03-11-2018, 01:54 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Yes, Techs are very comfortable shavers. This may be your first, but it likely won’t be your last. Enjoy!

Nicely done, Jack Smile

8 2,771
 03-11-2018, 02:46 PM
User Info
I get good results with a 40's Gillette Super Speed, which is my only vintage razor.

Well done Jack!

52 7,687
 03-11-2018, 04:00 PM
User Info
Techs are great razors.  A pre-war tech is a razor that I can use without being overly careful and still get a BBS shave with a variety of blades.

0 314
 03-11-2018, 04:57 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I find the British Fat Handle Tech to be amongst the best of razors (heavy base plate). I have a few of these, and there are slight but discernible differences. I'm lucky to have one among the little group that for some reason gives a superior shave. It suggests to me that if you are on the hunt, then try to experience a few that are classified as the same razor. A sub-optimal first experience can lead a person to conclude that ALL of the razors in that category are going to give the same shave. Also, different blades, etc etc. You may find, with the right razor, matched with the right blade, that you have something very special, and suited perfectly to your needs.

Good luck!

0 1,963
 03-11-2018, 09:11 PM
User Info
There is a reason I keep several vintage razors in my rotation; they still shave great even after fifty or a hundred years. And apart from one, they have all come from the Gents here at the 'Nook Smile

3 5,443
 03-12-2018, 05:00 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

We are lucky to have a parade of quality modern razors available. We are luckier still that many of the Great Gillettes, GEMS and Ever-Ready razors of the bygone years have survived and that they still give us great shaves. I keep a good selection of them in the shave den and use them.

168 3,488
 03-15-2018, 04:37 PM
User Info
One of my favorites is my Fat Boy. But here recently I’ve been blown away by the Gillette New Deluxe. They seem to be scarce and pricy. I was lucky to be gifted a Delta Echo version with a Triad handle. I’m so thankful for it, as it is literally the best shave of my life.

My heart sank a bit yesterday, however. I dropped it and slightly bent one of the corner teeth. I haven’t tried shaving with it yet but I’ve been told it shouldn’t affect the shave. I’m still sad though. Ha.

3 55
 03-16-2018, 06:00 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(03-12-2018, 05:00 AM)Obie Wrote: Gentlemen,

We are lucky to have a parade of quality modern razors available. We are luckier still that many of the Great Gillettes, GEMS and Ever-Ready razors of the bygone years have survived and that they still give us great shaves. I keep a good selection of them in the shave den and use them.

A few years ago I went on a Gillette, GEM and Schick buying frenzy. Since then I’ve learned that GEMs just aren’t for me, and have PIFfed all but three. Otherwise, I still enjoy my Schicks and Gillettes often.

8 2,771