03-15-2018, 01:12 AM
User Info
Some weeks ago I was made aware - through a post here on the 'Nook - of the fact that you used to be able to buy double edged safety razors in vending machines in Europe up until the early 1980's. Despite living in Europe - well, Scandinavia - this was news to me. Granted, I didn't start to shave until the late eighties, but still... possible they were only available in Germany; at least that is the one place I can find references to actually seeing one.
Sadly, apart from some pictures I found online, I know virtually nothing about this one apart from that I can gleam from the photos.
[Image: ad521929915761fbf849888983888a7b.jpg][Image: 5bc8ff45d9375ada0b8286e865d7973f.jpg][Image: YsdBPCG.jpg][Image: 7eeKmHz.jpg]
So what do the pictures tell us?
  • It's cheaply made, for starters - both the top cap and base plate is stamped sheet metal.
  • Top cap have a riveted screw to secure it to the handle, pressed ridges for added strength, as well as half punched out "hanging chads" for locating the blade.
  • The base plate is likely made from a simple stamping die - one punch and done.
  • The handle seems to be the one part that has any 'real' machining done to it - it's likely made from hexagonal stock, with one end rounded off, the other turned down to a cylinder and tapped for the screw thread.
  • The handle is likely the most durable part of the razor - found one shaver online who like to use it with modern heads due to the weight of it.
I wish I know more about it... or even had one (if anyone have one, please let us know and post more images). If I had access to a half decently equipped metal workshop I could probably make some - as could any semi-decent machinist with a small press and a lathe - but there is no marked for a semi-disposable DE razor in this day and age.

3 5,824
 03-15-2018, 03:50 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I’ve seen these come up often on eBay. I always wondered what they were.

22 858
 03-15-2018, 05:07 AM
User Info
Interesting.  I wonder under what circumstances someone would buy a semi-disposable safety razor from a vending machine.  Perhaps the machines were set up in train stations for travelers?

I suppose the modern equivalent would be the 3D printed razors you see floating around.

19 309
 03-15-2018, 05:49 AM
User Info
I think the modern equivalent is the cheap plastic disposable razors... good for a quick shave while traveling, but not much more.

A quick google shows that vending machine razors are still a thing - at least in Japan.

3 5,824
 03-15-2018, 06:12 AM
User Info
American equivalent which has lately been available on eBay are these repackaged WW2 surplus Simplex 7 razors. Very fine shavers actually.[Image: 3c5e9eaac8e6eb7003c8e8cfd54165bb.jpg]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2 363
 03-15-2018, 08:12 AM
User Info
(03-15-2018, 05:07 AM)BrickHud Wrote: Interesting.  I wonder under what circumstances someone would buy a semi-disposable safety razor from a vending machine.  Perhaps the machines were set up in train stations for travelers?

I suppose the modern equivalent would be the 3D printed razors you see floating around.

I've seen plastic ones along with a small "one use" package of shave cream in vending machines in airports and hotels/motels. When flying international flights, you can usually get one from the stewardess. Toothbrush/toothpaste too.

0 863
 03-15-2018, 02:05 PM
  • rev579
  • μαθητής
  • East Texas
User Info
I was trying to id one of these too, but it had a different head. I think I like the handle, yet for the life of me, I can't understand why.

2 57
 03-18-2018, 10:43 AM
User Info
I picked up one of those a couple weeks ago, it was thrown in when I bought a Valet auto strop kit.... Yeah I thought it was cheaply made but it looks good in the shadow box with a few other razors I bought just for display.

0 16
 03-18-2018, 11:04 AM
User Info
(03-18-2018, 10:43 AM)willyb Wrote: I picked up one of those a couple weeks ago, it was thrown in when I bought a Valet auto strop kit.... Yeah I thought it was cheaply made but it looks good in the shadow box with a few other razors I bought just for display.

I must admit being curious to hear what you think about it as an shaver... but I can fully understand it's use as a display piece. It's neat that at least some for the disposable razors are with us still Smile

Would it be possible for you to measure or guesstimate the thickness of the sheet metal topcap and baseplate? As should be obvious I'm pretty curious about the manufacture of razors Biggrin

3 5,824
 03-18-2018, 11:35 AM
User Info
(03-18-2018, 11:04 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote:
(03-18-2018, 10:43 AM)willyb Wrote: I picked up one of those a couple weeks ago, it was thrown in when I bought a Valet auto strop kit.... Yeah I thought it was cheaply made but it looks good in the shadow box with a few other razors I bought just for display.

I must admit being curious to hear what you think about it as an shaver... but I can fully understand it's use as a display piece. It's neat that at least some for the disposable razors are with us still Smile

Would it be possible for you to measure or guesstimate the thickness of the sheet metal topcap and baseplate? As should be obvious I'm pretty curious about the manufacture of razors Biggrin

It looks like the top and bottom plates are about 1/32.  Unfortunately there are no manufacturing marks(on the razor or the box). Now as far as trying to shave with it I think I  may just pass, after putting a blade in, it is VERY aggressive compared to my daily razors, but I may just try it anyway...LOL

0 16
 03-18-2018, 12:17 PM
User Info
0.032" (0.8mm)? That sounds pretty flimsy - but at the same time thin enough to be easily pressed on a small hobby-style hydraulic press using hard wood molds... if I just had unlimited spare time to devote to oddball projects Tongue

3 5,824
 03-18-2018, 01:55 PM
User Info
(03-18-2018, 12:17 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: 0.032" (0.8mm)? That sounds pretty flimsy - but at the same time thin enough to be easily pressed on a small hobby-style hydraulic press using hard wood molds... if I just had unlimited spare time to devote to oddball projects Tongue
It could be thicker than 1/32"....I didn't mic it I used a ruler and that's what it looked like. I'm sure it is somewhat thin but as a cheap  razor the top/bottom plates were stamped/pressed.

0 16