03-18-2018, 07:54 AM
User Info
I've been pretty lucky since I came back to traditional wet shaving about 6 years ago. I almost never nick myself and draw blood. Even when I try a very aggressive razor for the first time I never draw blood.

Lately that has changed. Even when using a fairly mild razor, such as the ATT SE1. Every now and then I nick myself. I believe my problem is lack of concentration. Now that the newness of this hobby is wearing off and the shaves are becoming more ho-hum, I believe I'm not concentrating on my shave. As a result I'm starting to nick myself every once in awhile.
I started using milder razors to compensate for my lack of concentration.  Has anyone else had this happen to them?

5 1,770
 03-18-2018, 09:44 AM
User Info
I generally use a milder razor to shave so that I don't have to concentrate as much.  When I'm in the mood I'll pull out a more aggressive razor and focus a bit more.  

Have definitely gravitated to milder razors over the years.  My current favorite and daily driver is the Sabre Level II - a mild razor that gives great shaves, and is pretty much knick-proof.

55 1,244
 03-18-2018, 09:47 AM
User Info
Even the mildest razor will bite you if your mind wanders. My AS-D2 reminded me of this a long time ago. So whether it's that or my super-aggressive '11 R41, I keep my eye on the ball.

45 4,455
 03-18-2018, 09:52 AM
User Info
With a straight razor, I'm very focused.  With a DE, the concentration is not as intense, but I'm still conscious and careful about the process.

52 7,699
 03-18-2018, 11:08 AM
User Info
what soap, blade?

52 1,164
 03-18-2018, 11:18 AM
User Info
(03-18-2018, 11:08 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: what soap, blade?

The soap will vary. My last shave I was using the Proraso Single Blade soap. The blade was a Feather Pro in my ATT SE1.  I ran into this problem once before. For awhile my favorite razor was a Parker 94. A bit aggressive. I really liked it. Then one day I wasn't paying attention and got a good nick. I don't think I've used it since.

5 1,770
 03-18-2018, 11:22 AM
User Info
Not to be too zen-like about this, but I have found that what works best for me, giving me consistently great shaves without any nicks, is a sort of relaxed mindful focus, without obsessively concentrating.  I just let my muscle memory do the work, being aware of the sight, sounds, and feel of the shave, while I try to let go of any distracting thoughts.

214 12,706
 03-18-2018, 12:34 PM
User Info
no, to me its like riding a bicycle

0 264
 03-18-2018, 01:17 PM
User Info
I think my main problem is I start going a little too fast. I have to try and just keep it slow and easy.

5 1,770
 03-18-2018, 06:52 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I focus, concentrate and pay careful attention. If I don’t I can wind up with a nick and/or razor burn.

8 2,771
 03-18-2018, 07:11 PM
User Info
(03-18-2018, 06:52 PM)chazt Wrote: I focus, concentrate and pay careful attention. If I don’t I can wind up with a nick and/or razor burn.

You definitely have to think about what you are doing.

5 1,770
 03-19-2018, 02:45 AM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I really enjoy using a shavette. I find sometimes i go too fast. While there is no blood, i would get some irritation. I just remind myself to slow down.

0 387
 03-19-2018, 03:01 AM
User Info
Generally I get weepers every now and then. Last real knick I got was due to my Fat Handled Tech razor getting super aggressive due to the head getting loose. It got loose due to me not paying attention, lesson learned.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

6 728
 03-19-2018, 04:50 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
It's hard to say.  What might help is to go back to the basics and break things down:  prep, lathering, and razor technique for starters.  I know it might sound silly, but concentrating on getting each step right before moving on to the next could reveal the "flaws" that cause your problems.  Perhaps using just one soap, one brush and one razor/blade combination for a few days.... 

The object is to make shaving enjoyable.  Relax and take your time.  Think about switching things up a little.  If you're feeling rushed/distracted in the morning, consider shaving at night.

Hope some of this helps.

4 724
 03-19-2018, 05:17 AM
User Info
(03-19-2018, 02:45 AM)naiyor Wrote: I really enjoy using a shavette. I find sometimes i go too fast. While there is no blood, i would get some irritation. I just remind myself to slow down.

This is exactly what is happening to me. Some times there is no blood but very bad irritation. Then I too have to remind myself to slow down.

5 1,770
 03-19-2018, 05:21 AM
User Info
(03-19-2018, 04:50 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote: It's hard to say.  What might help is to go back to the basics and break things down:  prep, lathering, and razor technique for starters.  I know it might sound silly, but concentrating on getting each step right before moving on to the next could reveal the "flaws" that cause your problems.  Perhaps using just one soap, one brush and one razor/blade combination for a few days.... 

The object is to make shaving enjoyable.  Relax and take your time.  Think about switching things up a little.  If you're feeling rushed/distracted in the morning, consider shaving at night.

Hope some of this helps.

I don't think I am doing anything wrong. As I said in the first post I've been lucky since I started traditional wet shaving. I almost never draw blood. I'm getting more nicks now than I ever did. I have to stay focused on what I am doing.

5 1,770
 03-19-2018, 05:27 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(03-19-2018, 05:21 AM)shave/brush Wrote:
(03-19-2018, 04:50 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote: It's hard to say.  What might help is to go back to the basics and break things down:  prep, lathering, and razor technique for starters.  I know it might sound silly, but concentrating on getting each step right before moving on to the next could reveal the "flaws" that cause your problems.  Perhaps using just one soap, one brush and one razor/blade combination for a few days.... 

Hope some of this helps.

I don't think I am doing anything wrong. As I said in the first post I've been lucky since I started traditional wet shaving. I almost never draw blood. I'm getting more nicks now than I ever did. I have to stay focused on what I am doing.

Ha-ha!  Don't we all.  

Have a great one!

4 724
 03-21-2018, 04:11 PM
  • JABF99
  • Illinois
User Info
I am only 2 months in on using a straight razor.  If I don't pay attention, even for a moment, bad things happen.  I find that if I keep focused on what I'm doing, I'm having fun now and get a good, bloodless shave.  Just a couple days ago I tried to hurry a shave to get to work on time, and I got bit pretty bad.  LOL, my wife likes to talk with me in the morning when I shave too.  That's not a good thing either  :-)

0 29
 03-21-2018, 05:21 PM
User Info
With a straight, I need constant concentration. With a DE/SE - I can go on muscle-memory/autopilot.

29 1,396
 03-24-2018, 04:37 PM
User Info
I like to get zen about my shave, and I think if you are getting bored with a safety razor, then you should try using a straight razor. It will introduce a whole new style of wet shaving to you. When I shave with a straight it gives me an opportunity to really focus on getting one thing perfect during one moment in time, and filtering out any other issues, problems, distractions, etc. To me that is zen, and I love it.

3 113