03-25-2018, 06:15 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
My first pass is normally "error free."  More nicks on subsequent passes. A recent cut was not while shaving but just holding my mildest razor too close while admiring my shave in the mirror.  I always assume concentration (or lack there of) was main contributor to most nicks.

14 778
 03-25-2018, 06:35 AM
User Info
(03-25-2018, 06:15 AM)SCOV Wrote: My first pass is normally "error free."  More nicks on subsequent passes. A recent cut was not while shaving but just holding my mildest razor too close while admiring my shave in the mirror.  I always assume concentration (or lack there of) was main contributor to most nicks.

Now that shaving has become more of an old routine for me I tend to loose concentration.

5 1,887
 03-25-2018, 05:21 PM
User Info
Ran a straight 2 inches down my cheek a few weeks ago. Been concentrating a lot more since then.

10 87
 03-25-2018, 05:30 PM
User Info
The shave no. Just two passes with a straight and done. I do during my lathering to make sure it is the proper consistency and hydrated well...so no/yes

3 850
 03-26-2018, 02:07 PM
User Info
I join the consensus of the straight razor users - there is a definite mindfulness that brings me into the morning when there is a bare blade.  If I'm distracted or in a rush I bail out to a DE.

10 72
 03-28-2018, 09:31 AM
User Info
I think Brent makes a great point about bailing out to a DE razor. It doesn’t have to be either/or...and can easily be...what am I in the mood for...what do I have time for during shave time.

21 1,108
 03-28-2018, 10:47 AM
User Info
(03-28-2018, 09:31 AM)Ols67 Wrote: I think Brent makes a great point about bailing out to a DE razor.  It doesn’t have to be either/or...and can easily be...what am I in the mood for...what do I have time for during shave time.

The question on this thread is: do you concentrate while shaving?

5 1,887
 03-28-2018, 03:16 PM
  • JABF99
  • Illinois
User Info
I am only 8 weeks in on using a straight razor so I have to concentrate.  Every time a lapse for a moment I pay the price for my inattention.  But as long as I do pay attention to what I am doing it goes very well now.  I find it enjoyable so I don't mind concentrating on what I'm doing.

0 29
 03-29-2018, 06:27 AM
User Info
(03-28-2018, 10:47 AM)shave/brush Wrote:
(03-28-2018, 09:31 AM)Ols67 Wrote: I think Brent makes a great point about bailing out to a DE razor.  It doesn’t have to be either/or...and can easily be...what am I in the mood for...what do I have time for during shave time.

The question on this thread is: do you concentrate while shaving?

When using a straight, yes.  A DE, no.

10 72
 03-29-2018, 11:47 AM
User Info
(03-18-2018, 09:52 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: With a straight razor, I'm very focused.  With a DE, the concentration is not as intense, but I'm still conscious and careful about the process.

Agreed - with a straight I am super focused.  Last time I lost focus I ended up with a "dueling" scar.

4 503
 03-29-2018, 01:25 PM
User Info
Taking your sweet time in a relaxed zen like mode is essential to a enjoyable & comfortable close shave. When I'm pressed for time it's canned goo and 1 pass WTG using a 7 bladed monstrosity (dorco pace 7).

4 13
 04-04-2019, 05:25 AM
User Info
(03-18-2018, 07:54 AM)shave/brush Wrote: I've been pretty lucky since I came back to traditional wet shaving about 6 years ago. I almost never nick myself and draw blood. Even when I try a very aggressive razor for the first time I never draw blood.

Lately that has changed. Even when using a fairly mild razor, such as the ATT SE1. Every now and then I nick myself. I believe my problem is lack of concentration. Now that the newness of this hobby is wearing off and the shaves are becoming more ho-hum, I believe I'm not concentrating on my shave. As a result I'm starting to nick myself every once in awhile.
I started using milder razors to compensate for my lack of concentration.  Has anyone else had this happen to them?

No need to really concentrate anymore. I've practiced so long with the same razor that the correct technique occurs naturally.

I think it's worth mentioning that I use the Merkur FUTUR...often described as an "aggressive" razor. I find, however, that the razor is only as aggressive as I am. Being fairly heavy, one can easily hurt oneself with it if not used correctly. Once I learned to use a light touch while simply allowing the blade to glide across the surface of my face, I experienced no problems with it. Been using the same razor since 2015.

0 30
 04-04-2019, 05:44 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(03-18-2018, 06:52 PM)chazt Wrote: I focus, concentrate and pay careful attention. If I don’t I can wind up with a nick and/or razor burn.

+1

I have been wet shaving for about 2 months so yes I try to be as mindful as I can be without obsessing. 

many have mentioned the Zen thing with which I am very familiar, if anyone is interested in a meditation practice read the little book "Zen Mind, Beginners Mind" by Suzuki Roshi. 

anyway, I just try to stay present and remain aware of what I am doing as I am doing it. 

Suzuki Roshi says that is the behavior of a saint. one who, when he walks, he only walks, when he shaves, he only shaves could have been added as well.

in Zen, if the master catches you mind surfing while you should be meditating, he will hit you with his staff to bring you back to the present. 

Nicks and burns serve the same purpose in wet shaving.

0 252
 04-04-2019, 05:52 AM
User Info
After about 4 or so years of shaving with a double edge I am pretty good about getting some blood free shaves.  I shave with all sorts of razors, depending upon when I last shaved.  More aggressive razors for more than two day's growth and more mild for two days in a row.  That said, not too long ago I decided to break out one of my pre-war Techs.  I was treated to one of the worst shaves of my entire double edge career.  Blood was everywhere on my face.  It was a blood bath.  I was horrified and puzzled all at once.  What I think happened was I was complacent, and didn't really pay attention to what I was doing, obviously.  Because normally I would get great blood free shaves from any of my Techs.  So, I agree with the OP that shaving with these sharp blades does take some amount of concentration to make sure that pressure, or the lack thereof, and angle are where they should be.

2 244
 04-04-2019, 06:00 AM
User Info
(04-04-2019, 05:25 AM)SABOTEURW Wrote: No need to really concentrate anymore. I've practiced so long with the same razor that the correct technique occurs naturally.

I think it's worth mentioning that I use the Merkur FUTUR...often described as an "aggressive" razor. I find, however, that the razor is only as aggressive as I am. Being fairly heavy, one can easily hurt oneself with it if not used correctly. Once I learned to use a light touch while simply allowing the blade to glide across the surface of my face, I experienced no problems with it. Been using the same razor since 2015.

You have to concentrate to use a light touch. If you didn't think of it you would not do it.

5 1,887
 04-04-2019, 06:02 AM
User Info
(04-04-2019, 05:44 AM)RyznRio Wrote:
(03-18-2018, 06:52 PM)chazt Wrote: I focus, concentrate and pay careful attention. If I don’t I can wind up with a nick and/or razor burn.

+1

I have been wet shaving for about 2 months so yes I try to be as mindful as I can be without obsessing. 

many have mentioned the Zen thing with which I am very familiar, if anyone is interested in a meditation practice read the little book "Zen Mind, Beginners Mind" by Suzuki Roshi. 

anyway, I just try to stay present and remain aware of what I am doing as I am doing it. 

Suzuki Roshi says that is the behavior of a saint. one who, when he walks, he only walks, when he shaves, he only shaves could have been added as well.

in Zen, if the master catches you mind surfing while you should be meditating, he will hit you with his staff to bring you back to the present. 

This is a form of concentration.

5 1,887
 04-04-2019, 06:06 AM
User Info
(04-04-2019, 05:52 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: After about 4 or so years of shaving with a double edge I am pretty good about getting some blood free shaves.  I shave with all sorts of razors, depending upon when I last shaved.  More aggressive razors for more than two day's growth and more mild for two days in a row.  That said, not too long ago I decided to break out one of my pre-war Techs.  I was treated to one of the worst shaves of my entire double edge career.  Blood was everywhere on my face.  It was a blood bath.  I was horrified and puzzled all at once.  What I think happened was I was complacent, and didn't really pay attention to what I was doing, obviously.  Because normally I would get great blood free shaves from any of my Techs.  So, I agree with the OP that shaving with these sharp blades does take some amount of concentration to make sure that pressure, or the lack thereof, and angle are where they should be.

Yes, this is my exact point. You can get good at it but you still have to keep your mind on what you are doing. These are very sharp blades we are playing with.

5 1,887