03-18-2018, 07:55 AM
User Info
For a while I've been wanting to use a scuttle mainly for the warm lather and the added luxury.
I am looking for a scuttle that I can utilize to preheat the soap for a few minutes before lathering. In addition to this I would like to be able to use the scuttle to store the brush between passes, again to maintain a nice warm lather for a 2nd and 3rd pass. Ideally the lather would have a function very similar to one the one in the video below which is a SWK scuttle:

About preheating soap, I've recently started using straight razors and noticed that straights really need a slick lather. I've experimented a few times by adding a few drops of hot water over the soap for a few mins before lathering and noticed it helps significantly creating a slicker lather than normal.

I am considering a couple of different scuttles that will give me the function I am looking for. I would greatly appreciate any comments regarding these scuttles if you've used them before or any recommendations for different ones.

Side note- I've used a G12 scuttle years ago to store the brush between passes but I remember that lather used to collapse! maybe because of excessive heat?
If you have this issue with the scuttles below please let me know

1) SWK scuttle. Beautiful scuttle and would give me exactly the function I am looking for which is being able to preheat the soap, brush and maintain a warm lather between passes. I think the Small size would be perfect. Only Problem I have with this one is the price. Surely it's worth it but a $100 is a bit steep for me
[Image: 1123a7050cf7b87a076bac1de740ed9a.jpg]

2) Seto Marijyu Scuttle- lovely Japanese scuttle and very unique design. Allows for pre heat soap and brush. The brush will have to be stored over the soap between passes which isn't a very deep vessel but I think should be ok.. maybe not as effective as SWK?!
This scuttle is the one I would like to find about the most as little is found online on this one. If you've used one or have one, I would really like to hear more about it.
[Image: 8c42bea2b2774a2ec5696342149219c4.jpg]

3) Classic English style mug/scuttle. Will also get the job done as far as preheating brush and soap, however depends on the specific one there may not be enough space to store the brush between passes. Can probably lay it on top of the soap but usually that vessel isn't deep at all and brush will most likely be exposed to more air than the other two scuttles resulting in a cool lather... this is just how I see it, could be wrong of course. Advantage is very easy to obtain and cheap online or antique stores. Disadvantage; effectiveness of keeping a warm lather between passes
[Image: 76cba1864184caa0dae59d08014a7b8f.jpg]

20 860
 03-24-2018, 01:53 PM
User Info
I use a Moss style scuttle, I bring the water to a rolling boil( I use a ceramic tea pot) fill scuttle, shower then dump out scuttle and refill from tea pot, whip up a nice lather in scuttle, let sit for a min or two....keeps lather warm enough for a two pass shave.

0 15
 03-24-2018, 02:38 PM
User Info
(03-24-2018, 01:53 PM)willyb Wrote: I use a Moss style scuttle, I bring the water to a rolling boil( I use a ceramic tea pot) fill scuttle, shower then dump out scuttle and refill from tea pot, whip up a nice lather in scuttle, let sit for a min or two....keeps lather warm enough for a two pass shave.

Thanks for your comment. I am considering the Moss Scuttle myself. I've read some feedback that it doesn't retain heat as well as other scuttles from different potters.
Can you please share a pic of the specific scuttle you have?

20 860
 03-24-2018, 04:28 PM
User Info
I have the Texan Moss Scuttle from Sara Bonnyman. She is a wonderful lady to work with, and from what I can tell her work is top notch. I pour boiling water into the reservoir, and then into the top (fused) bowl. Then I hop into the shower, hope out, use a dry hand towel to get the water out of the bowl...throw the towel on my face, whip up the lather in the bowl, and it works like a charm. I just did a three pass shave, before the first pass the lather was hot, and it stayed warm through the final two.

1 7
 03-24-2018, 08:58 PM
User Info
(03-24-2018, 04:28 PM)Ols67 Wrote: I have the Texan Moss Scuttle from Sara Bonnyman. She is a wonderful lady to work with, and from what I can tell her work is top notch. I pour boiling water into the reservoir, and then into the top (fused) bowl. Then I hop into the shower, hope out, use a dry hand towel to get the water out of the bowl...throw the towel on my face, whip up the lather in the bowl, and it works like a charm. I just did a three pass shave, before the first pass the lather was hot, and it stayed warm through the final two.

This is good to know. Thanks for sharing your experience. The Texan is a massive scuttle for sure, I would think it allows more than enough room for lather building. The Large size is probably adequate as well, the Small seems too small based on size chart on website. The Moss Scuttle is certainly one of the most elegant ones out there

20 860
 03-25-2018, 03:37 AM
User Info
Yes...I went with the bigger size for the lather building, and I feel like it stays warmer longer because of the bigger tank. Good luck in your search. Keep an eye out on eBay, and maybe you will be able to acquire exactly what you are looking for at a less expensive price.

1 7
 03-25-2018, 04:29 AM
User Info
(03-25-2018, 03:37 AM)Ols67 Wrote: Yes...I went with the bigger size for the lather building, and I feel like it stays warmer longer because of the bigger tank. Good luck in your search. Keep an eye out on eBay, and maybe you will be able to acquire exactly what you are looking for at a less expensive price.

Certainly will thanks again. I would really like to find out from someone who used both late and small, which suttle retains heat better

20 860
 03-25-2018, 06:14 AM
User Info
(03-24-2018, 02:38 PM)snowman Wrote:
(03-24-2018, 01:53 PM)willyb Wrote: I use a Moss style scuttle, I bring the water to a rolling boil( I use a ceramic tea pot) fill scuttle, shower then dump out scuttle and refill from tea pot, whip up a nice lather in scuttle, let sit for a min or two....keeps lather warm enough for a two pass shave.

Thanks for your comment. I am considering the Moss Scuttle myself. I've read some feedback that it doesn't retain heat as well as other scuttles from different potters.
Can you please share a pic of the specific scuttle you have?

I tried to download a pic but had a problem....if you go to etsy, shave scuttles then look for karengoldberg1.  I bought the larger one,  Her prices are pretty reasonable. One of the things I found is to use the hottest water you can. It is made quite well and has a good heat retention.

0 15
 03-25-2018, 06:26 AM
User Info
Willyb- these are very nice scuttles! And yes reasonable prices too. thank you for the tip

20 860
 03-25-2018, 12:48 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I'm surprised that no one has recommended Dirty Bird Scuttles from dirtybirdpottery.com. These are outstanding scuttles for a very reasonable price. I enjoy her XL 1.5 scuttle, as well as her Brush Scuttle when I face lather.

38 5,374
 03-26-2018, 07:28 AM
User Info
(03-25-2018, 12:48 PM)evnpar Wrote: I'm surprised that no one has recommended Dirty Bird Scuttles from dirtybirdpottery.com. These are outstanding scuttles for a very reasonable price. I enjoy her XL 1.5 scuttle, as well as her Brush Scuttle when I face lather.

I know of them through the little research I've done. How do you like the brush scuttle? It's certainly an option... I think it's a great size.
How does it do retaining the heat?

20 860
 03-26-2018, 02:46 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(03-26-2018, 07:28 AM)snowman Wrote:
(03-25-2018, 12:48 PM)evnpar Wrote: I'm surprised that no one has recommended Dirty Bird Scuttles from dirtybirdpottery.com. These are outstanding scuttles for a very reasonable price. I enjoy her XL 1.5 scuttle, as well as her Brush Scuttle when I face lather.

I know of them through the little research I've done. How do you like the brush scuttle? It's certainly an option... I think it's a great size.

A large full sized scuttle will retain the heat and create a nice warm lather. I use my brush scuttle when I face lather and don't want my lather to feel cold after my first pass, but it doesn't heat up the lather like a large scuttle will.

38 5,374
 03-26-2018, 06:22 PM
User Info
(03-26-2018, 02:46 PM)evnpar Wrote:

A large full sized scuttle will retain the heat and create a nice warm lather. I use my brush scuttle when I face lather and don't want my lather to feel cold after my first pass, but it doesn't heat up the lather like a large scuttle will.

This is very good to know. Thank you Sir

20 860
 03-27-2018, 04:51 AM
User Info

I will second that - I have a Dirty Bird scuttle and really enjoy it and would highly recommend.

4 477
 03-27-2018, 12:56 PM
User Info
(03-27-2018, 04:51 AM)Cincinnatus Wrote:
(03-26-2018, 07:28 AM)snowman Wrote: I know of them through the little research I've done. How do you like the brush scuttle? It's certainly an option... I think it's a great size.

I will second that - I have a Dirty Bird scuttle and really enjoy it and would highly recommend.
Signs011   I've used the large Dirty Bird for about three years now and love it!  Also agree with your comment about straights doing better with slicker lather.  Shave on!

4 696
 03-28-2018, 03:54 PM
User Info
Ciao!
If anyone of Sirs, are looking for a Scuttle, I do mine.
Handmade, handpainted in Palermo, Italy.

http://www.pantareibrushes.it/prodotto/scuttle-materia/

[Image: 17cf7ead729d13a1628d3243ffa12565.jpg]

[Image: 216e2446ffd94958b17af4e51ceea584.jpg]

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

0 105
 03-28-2018, 06:52 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Georgetown Pottery.

2 1,713
 03-31-2018, 04:06 AM
User Info
(03-27-2018, 12:56 PM)BSWoodturning Wrote:
(03-27-2018, 04:51 AM)Cincinnatus Wrote:
(03-26-2018, 02:46 PM)evnpar Wrote: A large full sized scuttle will retain the heat and create a nice warm lather. I use my brush scuttle when I face lather and don't want my lather to feel cold after my first pass, but it doesn't heat up the lather like a large scuttle will.

Signs011   I've used the large Dirty Bird for about three years now and love it!  Also agree with your comment about straights doing better with slicker lather.  Shave on!

I think I might end up getting this one or the Georgetown given the price and availability.. the other scuttles are hard to get a hold off.

I am unable to get in touch with the guy from SWK. Has anyone been able to contact him recently?

20 860
 03-31-2018, 04:08 AM
User Info
(03-28-2018, 06:52 PM)SRNewb Wrote: Georgetown Pottery.

For the price of a second, this is a great deal I think. I've read many comments that it doesn't hold on to heat so well... so maybe the dirty bird it is

20 860
 03-31-2018, 04:10 AM
User Info
(03-28-2018, 03:54 PM)PantaRei Wrote: Ciao!
If anyone of Sirs, are looking for a Scuttle, I do mine.
Handmade, handpainted in Palermo, Italy.

http://www.pantareibrushes.it/prodotto/scuttle-materia/

[Image: 17cf7ead729d13a1628d3243ffa12565.jpg]

[Image: 216e2446ffd94958b17af4e51ceea584.jpg]

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

This is a beautiful scuttle. I wish the walls came down straight rather than at an angle.
Thanks for the recommendation but this will probably cost over a €100 including shipping... a bit too much for my budget

20 860