03-18-2018, 08:09 AM
User Info
I have an early version of a Valet razor, the one that can take a modified Gem blade (without the the bumps that only allow for Feather blades).
It takes about 20 seconds to modify it, just work off the spine with a plier and then snip off, with a plier the corners.
Curiosity got me ordering a pack of Feather FHS blades.
I tried a few blades and each time they rendered the razor completely ineffective. I thought I dropped it or something, but going back to Gem blades -it was back in the game.
Go figure.

I did some reading about Churchill yesterday, not the most complimentary actually. I have friend who is a Historian and an avid wet-shaver.
According to him, Churchill shaved with a Valet razor and his aftershave was Blenheim Bouquet (which was made for his family).

Anyway - the historical spirit spilled over into this mornings shave and a fantastic shave it was (with a Gem blade).

[Image: tS4g6XE.jpg]

8 949
 03-18-2018, 10:56 PM
User Info
I also have a Valet and love it. Haven't used it many times as I was testing new acquisitions, but intend to go back to it soon.
It seems there was a good choice of vintage razors apart from the str8's in those days. My fahter told me that his father had a hell of a time with his str8 (in my collection) because he couldn't do a proper honing on it. I wonder why he didn't choose a Valet or a Gem instead.

0 448
 03-19-2018, 09:04 AM
User Info
I’ve liked every Valet I’ve tried. Very cool razors.
Not a huge fan of pens’ bb but still I wear it ocassionally. I don’t why.

9 1,443
 03-20-2018, 08:18 AM
User Info
Second shave with the Valet today. The first one was not a fluke. This could be my only razor and I'd be happy. Not because it is super-close like I get from the Feather Artist Club razors like the General or ATT SE1 or Hawk. 
Because it was close enough, zero irritation and leaving enough behind so the next morning I could do it again.
Plus - this razor is class.

[Image: UCKetkF.jpg]

8 949
 04-09-2018, 08:41 PM
User Info
The Valet is indeed a beautiful shaver, both aesthetically and functionally. I have always appreciated its Steampunk inspiration.

71 2,238
 04-13-2018, 09:40 AM
User Info
I have a pretty complete collection of Auto Strop razors, from Model A through Model VC4 (Robert Waits designations).  I'd shaved with a couple of them using Feather FHS-10 blades, and the results were kind of meh.

But today I did as the OP did:  Took an older Auto Strop that doesn't have the "bumps" that require a punched Valet or Feather blade, in this case Model B1.  I despined a modern coated stainless Gem blade, snipped the back corners off, and inserted it.  Wow, what a difference that Gem blade makes!  I got a glassy-smooth BBS shave.

A modified Gem blade in an older Auto Strop razor produces an incredible shave.  And it's just a cool cool cool razor.

19 303
 04-13-2018, 10:53 AM
User Info
[Image: u5ZyNxg.jpg]
Another early Valet, with a modified  gem blade

8 949
 04-13-2018, 12:00 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I really like this head design, pretty innovative. Unfortunately, it doesn't agree with my skin...

57 2,300