03-18-2018, 11:12 AM
User Info
This French soap caught my attention and I ordered one.  It's presented as having 30% donkey milk, all natural ingredients, and using only essential oils.  I've only used it twice, so I'm not yet in a position to give a detailed review of its performance.  I can comment about the scent, which I like.  It's a cedar/vetiver/lavender blend, but lavender is the dominant scent I detect.  I normally don't prefer overly floral scents.  However, enough of the earthy, smoky and grassy elements of the vetiver come through to nicely balance out the lavender.

This is a strongly scented soap.  On a scale of 10, I would rate the scent strength as an 8.  Although the scent is with you throughout the shave, I do not find it to linger after the shave.

If anyone else has tried this soap, I'm interested in your comments on it.

[Image: f2lLKrs.jpg]  

The soap when new:   

[Image: 1fbuiFe.jpg]  

The soap after two uses:

[Image: mvPLVqM.jpg]

Ingredients:

[Image: qryu4iI.jpg]

54 8,313
 03-18-2018, 11:25 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Does it lather at all Smile ?

121 1,765
 03-18-2018, 04:19 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
So much sodium...and no potassium?

I’m not a chemist - but that would give me reservations based on discussions I’ve read here....

174 1,604
 03-19-2018, 03:37 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-18-2018, 11:12 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I'm interested in your comments on it.

Ingredients:

[Image: qryu4iI.jpg]

A recurring curiosity with the labels of French soaps:  In many countries, including the United States, the ingredients must be listed in order of quantity by weight, descending.  The top label says Lait d'Ånnesse Bio 30% Entier, and in the French language listing of ingredients, Lait d'Ånnesse is listed first, with the annotation of 30 g for a 100 g bar.  However, in the English language listing of ingredients, Donkey Milk is the fifth ingredient listed.  Even employing the New Math, there is no way that the fifth ingredient by weight could comprise 30 percent of the total weight.

One assumes that in the processing of the ingredients, a significant amount of the water in the donkey milk evaporates, leaving the weight of the residual down there in fifth place by weight, but that does seem to make the 30% claim on the top label deceptive.

1 1,288
 03-19-2018, 05:50 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(03-19-2018, 03:37 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote: A recurring curiosity with the labels of French soaps:  In many countries, including the United States, the ingredients must be listed in order of quantity by weight, descending.  The top label says Lait d'Ånnesse Bio 30% Entier, and in the French language listing of ingredients, Lait d'Ånnesse is listed first, with the annotation of 30 g for a 100 g bar.  However, in the English language listing of ingredients, Donkey Milk is the fifth ingredient listed.  Even employing the New Math, there is no way that the fifth ingredient by weight could comprise 30 percent of the total weight.

One assumes that in the processing of the ingredients, a significant amount of the water in the donkey milk evaporates, leaving the weight of the residual down there in fifth place by weight, but that does seem to make the 30% claim on the top label deceptive.

Tom, I’m curious. Are/were you a professor of logic?

10 3,167
 03-19-2018, 06:09 PM
User Info
Tom, you're knowledgeable about donkey milk soaps, so I was hoping you would post in this thread.  I'm on my third shave with this soap, and I can now pick up the cedar better.  I continue to be pleased with the scent, and I'm going to get a few more shaves in before commenting on the performance of the soap.

54 8,313
 03-20-2018, 09:59 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Received the soap and I do find its scent pleasant. However, after four lathers with different brushes I failed to produce a type of lather that I consider acceptable.

121 1,765
 03-20-2018, 02:57 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-19-2018, 05:50 PM)chazt Wrote: Tom, I’m curious. Are/were you a professor of logic?

Angel  No, just a cynic about marketing claims.  Incidentally, in the English listing of ingredients, most are post processing artifacts:  sodium cocoate, sodium olivate, etc., but the listing of ingredients in French is of pre-processing ingredients: Huile d'Olive Huile de Coco,  . . .  Hydroxyde de Sodium, etc., so it is possible that donkey milk did comprise 30 percent of the weight of all the stuff that went into the soap-making.  But what the consumer buys is the soap, not the stuff that is boiled off in the shop.

(Totally tangential and therefore irrelevant anecdote from my past, please feel free to ignore:  In my freshman year of college, our physics professor warned us that we should know what the words mean that we casually bandy about, and that therefore in the next hour exam, we would be asked to define one or more words that come up in class in the discussion of physics.  Came the hour exam, there was a question, “What does the word ‘intuition’ denote?”  My answer was (I remember it, even now, word-for-word), “The putative and immediate cognition of an element of experience that ostensibly fails of adequate expression.”  The graded blue book came back to me with a written comment in the margin:  “Check.”  What I had done is a textbook example of how one gains an unwelcome reputation among one’s peers as a smart-ass; all the world hates a smart-ass.)

1 1,288
 03-20-2018, 04:20 PM
User Info
(03-20-2018, 09:59 AM)ARGH Wrote: Received the soap and I do find its scent pleasant. However, after four lathers with different brushes I failed to produce a type of lather that I consider acceptable.

Alex, after three shaves I'm also having some difficulty in getting great lather.  I am experiencing better results with a synthetic brush and blooming the soap, but the lather is still not optimal.  I'll keep working with it to see if the lather improves.  I do have hard water, and some soaps just don't lather well in hard water.

54 8,313
 03-20-2018, 04:28 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(03-20-2018, 02:57 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(03-19-2018, 05:50 PM)chazt Wrote: Tom, I’m curious. Are/were you a professor of logic?

Angel  No, just a cynic about marketing claims.  Incidentally, in the English listing of ingredients, most are post processing artifacts:  sodium cocoate, sodium olivate, etc., but the listing of ingredients in French is of pre-processing ingredients: Huile d'Olive Huile de Coco,  . . .  Hydroxyde de Sodium, etc., so it is possible that donkey milk did comprise 30 percent of the weight of all the stuff that went into the soap-making.  But what the consumer buys is the soap, not the stuff that is boiled off in the shop.

(Totally tangential and therefore irrelevant anecdote from my past, please feel free to ignore:  In my freshman year of college, our physics professor warned us that we should know what the words mean that we casually bandy about, and that therefore in the next hour exam, we would be asked to define one or more words that come up in class in the discussion of physics.  Came the hour exam, there was a question, “What does the word ‘intuition’ denote?”  My answer was (I remember it, even now, word-for-word), “The putative and immediate cognition of an element of experience that ostensibly fails of adequate expression.”  The graded blue book came back to me with a written comment in the margin:  “Check.”  What I had done is a textbook example of how one gains an unwelcome reputation among one’s peers as a smart-ass; all the world hates a smart-ass.)

Maybe so, but everyone loves a cynic!

10 3,167
 03-20-2018, 04:31 PM
User Info
The scent sounds lovely!

4 1,085
 03-20-2018, 07:40 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
(03-20-2018, 04:20 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(03-20-2018, 09:59 AM)ARGH Wrote: Received the soap and I do find its scent pleasant. However, after four lathers with different brushes I failed to produce a type of lather that I consider acceptable.

Alex, after three shaves I'm also having some difficulty in getting great lather.  I am experiencing better results with a synthetic brush and blooming the soap, but the lather is still not optimal.  I'll keep working with it to see if the lather improves.  I do have hard water, and some soaps just don't lather well in hard water.

Just attempted to shave with this soap. Loaded for much longer (approximately three times longer) than usual; tried to face-lather but after 5 minutes the lather was still thin and unstable. Tried to shave and stopped half way through the first pass - no protection. Switched to one of my favorites - Sudsy Soapery DdT.

Bottom line - remove from the container, form into a bar, let it dry, and use as a bath or pre-shave soap.

121 1,765
 03-21-2018, 09:19 AM
User Info
(03-20-2018, 07:40 PM)ARGH Wrote:
(03-20-2018, 04:20 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:

Just attempted to shave with this soap. Loaded for much longer (approximately three times longer) than usual; tried to face-lather but after 5 minutes the lather was still thin and unstable. Tried to shave and stopped half way through the first pass - no protection. Switched to one of my favorites - Sudsy Soapery DdT.

Bottom line - remove from the container, form into a bar, let it dry, and use as a bath or pre-shave soap.

No surprise, if the english list is indeed an INCI list of ingredients - lots of sodium salts, sodium cocoate and olivate as main ingredients (basically saponified coconut and olive oils) who are known for not resulting in a thick or stable lather. I wouldn't expect nothing more from that soap.

2 5,561
 03-21-2018, 10:08 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Lesson learned!

121 1,765