03-18-2018, 12:41 PM
User Info
So I just ordered a tub of the Lavanille and on B&M's website they recommend using a synthetic brush or a "dedicated" brush for this soap due to "discoloring of animal hair bristles".  Anyone out there have this experience specifically with this soap?

48 4,631
 03-18-2018, 12:47 PM
User Info
(03-18-2018, 12:41 PM)primotenore Wrote: So I just ordered a tub of the Lavanille and on B&M's website they recommend using a synthetic brush or a "dedicated" brush for this soap due to "discoloring of animal hair bristles".  Anyone out there have this experience specifically with this soap?

I have experienced this with a badger brush.  However, it did wash out after a half dozen or so shaves using a different soap.  The staining wasn't bad, but I do use a synthetic brush with it now.  Didn't want to take a chance on it becoming permanent.

0 10
 03-18-2018, 12:49 PM
User Info
(03-18-2018, 12:47 PM)soundtrek Wrote:
(03-18-2018, 12:41 PM)primotenore Wrote: So I just ordered a tub of the Lavanille and on B&M's website they recommend using a synthetic brush or a "dedicated" brush for this soap due to "discoloring of animal hair bristles".  Anyone out there have this experience specifically with this soap?

I have experienced this with a badger brush.  However, it did wash out after a half dozen or so shaves using a different soap.  The staining wasn't bad, but I do use a synthetic brush with it now.  Didn't want to take a chance on it becoming permanent.
Thanks for the response. I have used "colored" soaps before without staining, however if the manufacturer has a warning, I probably should heed it.

48 4,631
 03-18-2018, 01:48 PM
User Info
I just finished a tub of Lavanille, the older white tub, and didn't notice any discoloring.  I've also used other soaps that are dark in color (T&S at the moment) and it also doesn't seem to leave any color on the badger brush.

19 503
 03-18-2018, 02:02 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
My understanding is that it's not so much the color of the soap; rather, certain non-white ingredients in a soap (e.g., vanilla) can stain a brush. In other words, it's not so much the color of the soap--it's whether that color derives from a staining ingredient. Some else will know better?

10 544
 03-18-2018, 02:16 PM
User Info
Primo, I trust you knowing how to care properly for your brushes such as proper rinsing. I have used Lavanille and Beaudelaire and can't remember those times being an issue with discoloring in my badger knots. Obviously you have many people already chiming in but I still have a hard time thinking one use with these soaps is really worth that much concern. Not to dismiss those who want to be careful but in my experience, it just wasn't that much different. One question I have is if hard water mixed with these if that is more likely to stain versus soft water.

83 1,588
 03-18-2018, 04:46 PM
User Info
(03-18-2018, 02:02 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: My understanding is that it's not so much the color of the soap; rather, certain non-white ingredients in a soap (e.g., vanilla) can stain a brush. In other words, it's not so much the color of the soap--it's whether that color derives from a staining ingredient. Some else will know better?
Indeed. The website cites Vanilla as the possible cause for staining. I don't even know what color the soap is?
(03-18-2018, 02:16 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Primo, I trust you knowing how to care properly for your brushes such as proper rinsing. I have used Lavanille and Beaudelaire and can't remember those times being an issue with discoloring in my badger knots. Obviously you have many people already chiming in but I still have a hard time thinking one use with these soaps is really worth that much concern. Not to dismiss those who want to be careful but in my experience, it just wasn't that much different. One question I have is if hard water mixed with these if that is more likely to stain versus soft water.
I like to think so. It's difficult for me to imagine that whatever is in the soap won't be removed with a good rinsing. We'll find out. I may test it on my SOC Boar before I use my Somerset Chubby 2 Super Badger... Wink

48 4,631
 03-18-2018, 04:48 PM
User Info
(03-18-2018, 01:48 PM)CanuckShaver Wrote: I just finished a tub of Lavanille, the older white tub, and didn't notice any discoloring.  I've also used other soaps that are dark in color (T&S at the moment) and it also doesn't seem to leave any color on the badger brush.
Thank you for the input.  Biggrin

48 4,631