03-18-2018, 06:23 PM
User Info
Is Horse hair a must for every shave den? I have no experience with a horse hair brushes, although I do love horses Biggrin . It seems to me that in general, among natural hair brushes, the price and softness scale goes (low to high) 

boar hair
horse hair
badger hair

0 40
 03-18-2018, 07:04 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I’m probably in the minority on this, but I love my silvertip and finest badgers and don’t feel at all compelled to add a horse hair brush. I also had a number of Semogue boar brushes but didn’t enjoy the feel of bristle. They’ve all been PIFfed. Luxurious badger hair is okay by me! Of course, YMMV.

10 3,056
 03-18-2018, 08:11 PM
User Info
No hair is a must for a great shave but I sure enjoy all the options.  For me?  Horse is my least favorite but I only have one so.....

6 321
 03-18-2018, 08:43 PM
User Info
I'm a horse hair apologist... partly because I feel too many people dismiss them even before trying them, partly because I do enjoy my horse hair brushes very much. I find that horse hair is similar but at the same time unlike both boar and badger, and to me they seem to combine some of the better qualities of both in a single brush.
Horse hair used to be the fiber of choice for shaving brushes until the anthrax scare around the time of the Great War, as we've briefly discussed before here on the 'Nook... see for example http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=23300 which links to a number of scholarly articles from the period.

I do believe that you owe yourself to at least give horse hair a fair shake, and they are quite affordable when compared to badger. There are several reputable makers of horse hair brushes today, although my personal recommendation would be a Vie Long brush.

3 5,701
 03-19-2018, 03:17 AM
  • jar
User Info
I love badger but horse hair is also quite nice.  I have four examples, one from Zenith, two Vie-Long and the last an unknown source knot in a custom Jayaruh handle.

[Image: large.jpg]

0 256
 03-19-2018, 03:31 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Horse is not for me. I gave a Vie-Long 50/50 tail/mane a go over the period of a year, but didn’t like it; however, I liked the handle so much that I had it re-knotted with a TGN 2-band finest...lovely. Nevertheless, you should give horse a try, as only you can decide if horse is for you. Be aware though that the mix of tail and mane hair will affect the feel of the knot.

9 1,032