03-21-2018, 08:16 PM
User Info
Hi,
    Just looking for some recommendations for some double-edge blades I should try. Hopefully some reasonably priced ones, that would be a bonus.  Wink      Thanks for any suggestions...

0 99
 03-21-2018, 08:39 PM
User Info
Kai
Wizamet Iridium
Polsilver 
Voskod 
Gillette Platinum

Don't save on blades or soap. Not worth it.

9 1,396
 03-21-2018, 08:44 PM
User Info
Get a variety pack from someplace try a blade is good, and you can buy single blades.

8 386
 03-21-2018, 09:52 PM
  • DannyZ
  • Oklahoma via Vicenza, Italy
User Info
(03-21-2018, 08:44 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: Get a variety pack from someplace try a blade is good, and you can buy single blades.

Signs011

1 76
 03-22-2018, 02:04 AM
User Info
A sampler pack is the way to go.  Among the inexpensive blades, the Astra Platinum work well for many guys.

53 7,812
 03-22-2018, 02:38 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-21-2018, 08:44 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: Get a variety pack from someplace try a blade is good, and you can buy single blades.

Respectfully, but very strongly, I disagree.

Link:    The two dozen rule.  

That said, KAI.

1 1,214
 03-22-2018, 07:45 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I like Israeli Personnas a lot. If you're in CONUS, PM me with your info and I will put some in the mail for you to try.

8 2,855
 03-22-2018, 09:56 AM
User Info
I like RZOR BLADE CLUB, in Sweden in think, but not just to buy an assortment of single blades, which he has. I think you need to try at least 5 of a kind. Why you may ask?
The first 2 Kai blades I tried from a pack were messed up. I thought Feather had made the razor only to use Feather blades or something, then I thought maybe Kai made the blade so it wouldn't fit 
the Feather. Blade 3 was fine, I just got 2 blades that slipped past QC.....only bad blades I've gotten so far. You need more than a blade to evaluate a brand IMHO...... Biggrin

0 514
 03-22-2018, 01:08 PM
User Info
(03-21-2018, 08:16 PM)punchy Wrote: Hi,
    Just looking for some recommendations for some double-edge blades I should try. Hopefully some reasonably priced ones, that would be a bonus.  Wink      Thanks for any suggestions...

PM me your name/address and i will send you a sample of blades to try .. FREE  Biggrin

44 719
 03-22-2018, 05:24 PM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
Gillette Silver Blue is a consistent performer for me.

0 388
 03-26-2018, 07:23 PM
User Info
Good is subjective and YMMV. My top blade performers are Personna Reds, Shark Chrome, Bluebird Hi-stainless, Feather Hi-stainless, and Polsilver SI.

0 51
 03-26-2018, 11:30 PM
User Info
An incomplete list of blades I've tried so far;
Racer Super Stainless: A middle to good blade, depending on the razor. Worked better in my Parker 22R TTO and in my Racer razor than in my Merkur 39C Slant, no tugging but not the smoothest blades out there.
Shark Super Chrome: A middle of the road blade in my 22R and 39C - but gives a very good shave in my Merkur 985CL open comb travel razor. Also works well in the cheap YUMA razor.
BiC Chrome Platinum: Okayish for the first shave, horrible on the second go. Firmly off my list.
Gillette Goal Stainless: Works rather well in my 22R and 39C - four shaves and still smooth.
Lord Platinum: Works very well in my 39C, my 985CL and my 22R.
Feather Hi Stainless: A wicked sharp blade that performs well in any razor, but is best tamed by a mild razor like the Feather Popular or the '58 TV Special.
Willikins Sword: Shaves well in any razor, especially so in my 39C slant.
Treet Platinum Super Stainless: A Pakistani made blade that works well in my 25C open comb and my 958CL. Well worth looking into.
Astra Superior Platinum: A blade with a well deserved reputation, smooth and sharp and suited for every razor I've tried it in.
Zorrik Super Stainless: A pretty decent blade, works fine in my Yuma and 985CL.
Laser Super Platinum: Middle to bad blade - sharp enough, but not very smooth. A decent choice if no better blade is available.
Derby Extra: A good, but not spectacular, blade. A decent choice if no better blade is available.
Perma-Sharp Super: Sharp, but not smooth. Not a blade I'll buy again.
Rapira Super Stainless: Not the smoothest, but gives a DFS in my 39C and 22R
Gillette Yellow 7 O'Clock: Not the smoothest, but more than good enough in my '58 TV Special - not a blade for the Bakelite Slant though
Flying Eagle: Trading a bit of smoothness for the ability to stay sharp for a long time - works better in a mild razor though
Laser Super Stainless w/chromium coated edges: Pretty decent blade, four shaves with no trouble - one to consider, 
ASCO Super Stainless: Not the smoothest or sharpest, but a decent performer with little to no change from first to last shave.
Zaza Super / Supreme Stainless Steel: Not the smoothest in the world, not the sharpest either - but a very nice blend of smoothness, sharpness and longevity. A solid, if uninspired, contender for a fall-back blade

3 5,533
 03-30-2018, 10:30 AM
  • johnz
  • Traverse City, MI
User Info
Voskhod - quite sharp and very smooth
Person Red - sharp and smooth
Perma Sharp Super - sharp and very smooth
Astra SP and SS - sharp and smooth
Gillette Silver Blue - sharp and smooth
Personna Lab Blue - sharp and smooth

These are in my favorite list. I tried Feather and Bic and they were too sharp for me. Derbys are very smooth but not as sharp to me as the blades mentioned above. I'll use Derbies but only in a very efficient razor like a slant.

As mentioned above, there are way more blades available but I don't have a lot of experience with them. Best of luck.

0 30
 03-30-2018, 11:15 AM
User Info
I used to use Feather Hi-Stainless exclusively.

Then, after viewing a very positive video review, I gave the Personna (surgery) Prep DE blades (Model 74-0002) a try and find them approximately as sharp as the Feathers but IME much smoother.  These come individually wrapped in cardboard box of 100 at less than $30 per hundred and less than $0.25 each in quantity of 250 blades from online medical supply sources.

This particular Personna blade is made in Verona,Virginia.  Is it the last DE blade still made in the U.S.?

0 24
 03-30-2018, 04:57 PM
User Info
I recently just tried some new DE blades. Current production.

Derby Premium and Dorco Prime. Relatively inexpensive per hundred and very sharp. Both lasted me a week of shaves.

11 1,605
 05-05-2018, 04:26 AM
User Info
Voskhod
Personna red
Personna Blue
Treet Super Platinum
Gillette Silver Blue

1 23
 05-05-2018, 06:35 AM
User Info
GSB