03-23-2018, 05:08 PM
User Info
I have been shaving with a DE (2 days a week) and straight (5 days a week) for several years now.  I got my Asylum RX SE today and Kai mild blades.  The razor really is something else.  The quality is like few things, if anything, in my shave den.  I know it will take more than one shave to get used to something new, so maybe this post is a little premature...but I was unimpressed with the Kai blade.   I have a heavy dense beard.  The Kai pinks just didn't get it for me. After my first WTG pass my stubble felt like I had barely touched it.  By comparison when I use a DE (Merkur Futur or Feather Stainless) with a Feather blade my WTG first pass is quite smooth, same with a straight.

I went with the Kai pinks because of some of the cautious posts I have read about stating with a Feather the first time you use a SE.  Any opinions from those of you who have used both blades in an Asylum RX.  Should I expect better cutting from the Kai and just wait for my technique to improve?  Better results from the Feather?  I know it is hard to weigh in on what someone else can expect, what about your results?

Thanks...hope you had an enjoyable shave today.

0 2
 03-23-2018, 05:19 PM
  • RSP1
  • Western NY
User Info
(03-23-2018, 05:08 PM)bran Wrote: I have been shaving with a DE (2 days a week) and straight (5 days a week) for several years now.  I got my Asylum RX SE today and Kai mild blades.  The razor really is something else.  The quality is like few things, if anything, in my shave den.  I know it will take more than one shave to get used to something new, so maybe this post is a little premature...but I was unimpressed with the Kai blade.   I have a heavy dense beard.  The Kai pinks just didn't get it for me. After my first WTG pass my stubble felt like I had barely touched it.  By comparison when I use a DE (Merkur Futur or Feather Stainless) with a Feather blade my WTG first pass is quite smooth, same with a straight.

I went with the Kai pinks because of some of the cautious posts I have read about stating with a Feather the first time you use a SE.  Any opinions from those of you who have used both blades in an Asylum RX.  Should I expect better cutting from the Kai and just wait for my technique to improve?  Better results from the Feather?  I know it is hard to weigh in on what someone else can expect, what about your results?

Thanks...hope you had an enjoyable shave today.

I think you should work on the angle and give it some time. I've had the Rx and 5-6 other SE razors, and I've preferred Kai blades over feather in every one of them. The Rx is different than the other SE's with respect to angle, so be patient if you can. If you have another bad shave or two switch out the blades to make sure you didn't load a dud. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 346
 03-23-2018, 05:33 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
My guess is that blade is a dud. Unless you have a grown son with a very dense beard who sometimes borrows your razor when he visits. Like I do.

I find all of the AC blades that I have (varieties of Feathers, Kais and Prolines) are extremely sharp. My favorite in the RX is one of the two guarded blades (Kai MG and Feather Proguard), as the razor geometry works very well with my face, and the guard makes it easy. In all my other AC razors, I usually use a Feather Pro Super.

10 562
 03-23-2018, 05:40 PM
User Info
I tried one of the kai blades once. Had the same experience as you. I didn't even finish the shave. I hate them.

Schick Prolines are awesome, though.

3 1,937
 03-23-2018, 09:26 PM
User Info
I use feather pros in the RX, and really don’t need to ‘find the angle’ or do anything new. It just works, and works very well. Very happy with this razor.

31 1,630
 03-24-2018, 04:36 AM
User Info
Try the Schick Proline blades. The best I have tried to date.

141 13,832
 03-24-2018, 06:23 AM
User Info
While I use ProLines in my other SE razors, I have had great luck with Feather ProGuard in the RX. As aggressive is the razor is, I find the guarded blade makes it nearly idiot proof despite still being very sharp.

0 14
 03-24-2018, 06:52 AM
  • mesmo
  • Miami,Fl
User Info
(03-24-2018, 04:36 AM)slantman Wrote: Try the Schick Proline blades. The best I have tried to date.

+1

0 33
 03-25-2018, 06:36 AM
User Info
If I am using the Rx as a daily driver for the week I use Feather Pro guard. If it’s to tame a few day growth then Schick Prolines are my go to, I can’t use this combo daily without irritation on day 3 or 4.

17 337
 10-13-2018, 05:23 AM
User Info
Love the Prolines on my polished RX. Tried all the others and didn't like them. Congrats on the new RX!

0 240