03-26-2018, 02:30 AM
User Info
When I took to Traditional Wet Shaving I would read blogs, watch YouTube videos and what not and took to face lathering as an Instinct or a general practice.

Face lathering softens the beard, you enjoy the scrubbing on your face while lathering and can enjoy the aroma of the soap.

2 years into wet shaving I still have dilemma on as to why people bowl lather soaps.

Answers please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 996
 03-26-2018, 04:14 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The only answer is, it is whatever a person prefers.  I still bowl lather from time to time to build a rich creamy lather to paint on my face, and especially in the cold winter months using a scuttle to help keep the lather warm.  But I agree, as for as sure pleasure, face lathering is hard to beat, especially when you are using a shave stick.

So, don't let it be a dilemma to you.  Different stroke for different folks.  That's what makes the world go round.

180 24,493
 03-26-2018, 04:17 AM
User Info
I hear you Johnny. Just one more question. When you bowl lather do you then spend the same amount painting on your face or is it lesser. What happens to so called beard softening thing?

3 996
 03-26-2018, 04:20 AM
User Info
I lather on the puck and finish on the face so I'm no help to you.  However, we have a lather bowl for my wife and for leg shaving it makes a lot of sense.

5 261
 03-26-2018, 04:26 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-26-2018, 04:17 AM)Jags009 Wrote: I hear you Johnny. Just one more question. When you bowl lather do you then spend the same amount painting on your face or is it lesser. What happens to so called beard softening thing?

I spend about the same time applying the lather from the bowl.  Still use the tips of the brush to work the lather in and it actually helps build a richer, creamery lather, sometimes.  You still add water as needed to get the lather exactly like you want it.

180 24,493
 03-26-2018, 04:29 AM
User Info
When I take the time to bowl lather in my Aesop SS Bowl, I don't then "face lather", I quite literally paint the lather on my face. My beard is already prepped from my shower.

44 4,233
 03-26-2018, 06:18 AM
User Info
Bowl gives you more control. 100% of your lather is exactly the way you like it.

8 1,307
 03-26-2018, 06:43 AM
  • BigT
User Info
I too mostly bowl lather account I'm already exfoliated and hydrated from my morning shower. The bowl gives me the opportunity to completely build lather the way I like it. As a side, I think it's easier on the brush, not as much splaying just using the top third of the knot lathering the soap/cream. As always, YMMV.

0 24
 03-26-2018, 06:50 AM
User Info
I super lather all the time now.  It works best mixing them in the scuttle.  And, I love warm lather 12 months of the year.  My application for the second pass is real fine because it's been sitting in the scuttle heated by the hot water.  

However, when I travel I don't take the scuttle with me—I face lather then.  I add a few drops of hot water to the brush before the second application of lather, and it works well, although I guess it dilutes the lather a bit.

1 446
 03-26-2018, 08:11 AM
User Info
Looks like I need to get myself a bowl and/or a scuttle. Thanks to Jack for starting a parallel thread on scuttles. Following ...

3 996
 03-26-2018, 09:00 AM
User Info
(03-26-2018, 08:11 AM)Jags009 Wrote: Looks like I need to get myself a bowl and/or a scuttle. Thanks to Jack for starting a parallel thread on scuttles. Following ...

Umm, no you don't; unless you want to. By all means do what you want. There is no right or wrong to it. I don't know how folks think that bowl lathering builds a more consistent lather over face lathering unless they aren't doing it correctly. Same goes for brush mashing. If done correctly face lathering produces a fantastic and uniform result. Too, the lather is felt on the face for immediate feedback as water is added.

Jags, I started bowl lathering and did it exactly twice. The first time I bowl lathered I realized that I wasn't prepping my beard and gave it up. The 2nd time, approx' a month later, I caved in under the pressure I got from reading posts on the various forums so I tried it again. That cured me from ever bowl lathering again. It gives up too much of the tactile and enjoyable feel of shaving.

But if you must bowl lather, and is worth trying, one doesn't need a special bowl. Sure you can acquire one but any vessel will do. Even an inexpensive vessel from your local Goodwill will work. My bowl was a ceramic bowl from the VDH kit that I bought. It was NOT an expensive shave bowl. Smile

32 6,485
 03-26-2018, 09:13 AM
User Info
Thanks Brian.

3 996
 03-26-2018, 09:21 AM
  • Roy
User Info
I face lather. Firstly a thin lather which works very well to soften my beard. Then a proper lather, working it around my face for a minute or so. When I have bowled lathered and applied it to my face, there was tugging and a terrible shave. Face lathering gives your face a lovely massage and great to feel a good cream or soap on your skin. At the second pass, your face is so good and the blade just glides over your skin for a smooth result.

0 30
 03-26-2018, 09:31 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I bowl lather because I have sensitive skin. My skin gets irritated when I face lather. It also seems to take longer but I haven’t timed it.

3 607
 03-26-2018, 09:58 AM
User Info
I bowl lathered for about two years, then switched to face lathering and have never returned to a bowl.  I believe you can get comparably good lather and shaves either way, and people should use whatever method they prefer.

51 7,162
 03-26-2018, 02:10 PM
User Info
I never thought it would be fair for the bowl to have all the fun instead of my face.

10 68
 03-26-2018, 03:02 PM
User Info
I see the sense in bowl lathering but the benefits of face lathering are so many for me that I can't skip them. My beard grows in a very sharp angle, relative to my skin. The action of the brush is what straightens it and makes it ready for the blade. I had problems, prior to using brush and soap, with that. Always had tugging and in-growns issues, not any more since I use the brush.

I have learnt that a soft tipped brush with moderate backbone is what works for me. That means 2-Band badger and boar brushes are usually what I reach for in the mornings. And if I had to choose, I'd go with boar. I can face lather for five minutes and have no negative side effects. My skin is more on the sensitive side than on the pachyderm-like one, so I will always recommend boars for those with sensitive skins.

0 140
 03-26-2018, 04:56 PM
  • chazt
  • NYC
User Info
(03-26-2018, 02:10 PM)BrentS Wrote: I never thought it would be fair for the bowl to have all the fun instead of my face.

Biggrin

8 2,685
 03-26-2018, 05:00 PM
User Info
(03-26-2018, 02:10 PM)BrentS Wrote: I never thought it would be fair for the bowl to have all the fun instead of my face.

3 996
 03-26-2018, 07:13 PM
User Info
I strictly face lather. I shave 75% of the time in the shower. I haven't felt the appeal for bowl lathering.

0 37