03-26-2018, 07:29 PM
User Info
I think using a shave stick is the most fun. But I also like to bowl lather about 30% of the time.

5 1,741
 05-07-2018, 12:52 PM
User Info
i alternate between bowl lathering on the soap or loading then face lathering.  neither one is better than the other for me.

0 263
 05-07-2018, 01:11 PM
User Info
I prefer to face lather, except when my 8 year old daughter wants to play barber. That’s the only time I bowl lather.

8 60
 05-07-2018, 01:19 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
(05-07-2018, 01:11 PM)vanacres Wrote: I prefer to face lather, except when my 8 year old daughter wants to play barber. That’s the only time I bowl lather.

Best reason I have ever heard for Bowl Lathering.

8 561
 05-09-2018, 05:59 AM
User Info
(03-26-2018, 09:00 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(03-26-2018, 08:11 AM)Jags009 Wrote: Looks like I need to get myself a bowl and/or a scuttle. Thanks to Jack for starting a parallel thread on scuttles. Following ...

Umm, no you don't; unless you want to. By all means do what you want. There is no right or wrong to it. I don't know how folks think that bowl lathering builds a more consistent lather over face lathering unless they aren't doing it correctly. Same goes for brush mashing. If done correctly face lathering produces a fantastic and uniform result. Too, the lather is felt on the face for immediate feedback as water is added.

Jags, I started bowl lathering and did it exactly twice. The first time I bowl lathered I realized that I wasn't prepping my beard and gave it up. The 2nd time, approx' a month later, I caved in under the pressure I got from reading posts on the various forums so I tried it again. That cured me from ever bowl lathering again. It gives up too much of the tactile and enjoyable feel of shaving.

But if you must bowl lather, and is worth trying, one doesn't need a special bowl. Sure you can acquire one but any vessel will do. Even an inexpensive vessel from your local Goodwill will work. My bowl was a ceramic bowl from the VDH kit that I bought. It was NOT an expensive shave bowl. Smile

+1.  Both methods can work extremely well.  It really is, as Johnny mentions (above), a matter of preference.  Personally, I use a scuttle that gives the added benefit of warm lather, which I like, then finish by working up additional lather on my face.  The best of both worlds!

4 710
 05-09-2018, 06:06 AM
User Info
I reckon bowl lather is recommended by those who make bowls and scuttles!!

0 60
 05-14-2018, 03:39 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I started face lathering because, to me it's easier to get right. Now I split 50 50 between the two. I like bowl lathering because, as someone else pointed out once, it's kind of like like the Japanese tea ceremony, I enjoy the ritual and painting hot lather with back and forth strokes is quite luxurious.  I'm positive it's the way royalty shaved.  Wink

8 2,475
 05-14-2018, 05:46 PM
User Info
I like to bowl lather softer soaps and creams (much easier to dial in with a bowl, IMO), and face lather harder soaps.

14 582
 05-15-2018, 05:48 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(05-14-2018, 05:46 PM)22bulldog Wrote: I like to bowl lather softer soaps and creams (much easier to dial in with a bowl, IMO), and face lather harder soaps.

Cream, soft soap, or hard soap doesn't factor into whether I bowl or face lather. It's just a matter of what I feel like doing that day.

8 2,475
 05-19-2018, 03:30 AM
User Info
I bowl or scuttle shave generally. Just picked up this great bowl from Yoresh in Israel. Nice and deep great thumb loop too. [Image: a5b2d0c68d520f5b322dee7c42217558.jpg][Image: b6d17aed7a5c0e63405bcfaaaa886a56.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 876
 05-24-2018, 12:50 AM
User Info
I bowl lather because I can get loads of lather that way, I don't seem to have much left by the third pass if I face lather...I like to have a fair amount so I can glob lots onto my face. My beard is softened by the shower anyway (plus I use an exfoliating face scrub in the shower too). You only have what is stored in the brush if you face lather, but with the bowl there is plenty Smile

0 14
 05-24-2018, 09:16 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I face lather because I love the way it feels. Soap is cheap. I can lather again if I run out.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

82 1,625
 05-24-2018, 09:30 AM
User Info
(05-24-2018, 09:16 AM)Crag Wrote: I face lather because I love the way it feels.  Soap is cheap. I can lather again if I run out.

I agree. Face lathering is one of the chief reasons I wetshave. I love brushes and the feeling on the skin when lather reaches the point of perfection. If I have to relather, it doesn't bother me at all.

0 27
 05-24-2018, 12:02 PM
  • BigT
User Info
Everybody's right, nobody's wrong. Everyone has an opinion of what works best for them. That's what makes this necessity/hobby so much fun. Besides, if you choose to bowl lather, you get to spend money on some cool bowls. If you enjoy face lathering, you get to make some funny faces in the mirror... Biggrin

0 29
 05-25-2018, 02:09 AM
User Info
I have certain brushes I almost exclusively face lather with, like my Chubby 2 Super and Duke 3 Manchurian - those two brushes feel great on the face and aren't the most bowl friendly brushes due to the shorter handles (especially the CH2). 

I enjoy both face and bowl lathering, but generally my lather is perfected if I bowl lather. It does take quite a bit longer to shave if I bowl lather especially if I'm using a scuttle so I can't afford to do it every time I shave. Thankfully face lathering is just as fun for those instances and a perfect excuse to use certain brushes for me!

2 16
 05-26-2018, 07:19 AM
User Info
I primarily bowl lather, but did have a great face lather today with a D.R. Harris lavender shave stick. If you wanted to try bowl lathering, Doug Johnson sells on Etsy, and makes a great lather bowl for under 30 USD. Sara Bonnyman in Canada makes a great larger scuttle called the Texas scuttle. I can highly recommend both products for bowl lathering!

Give it a go...as everyone said...no right or wrong...no one or the other...variety/options are what makes it fun.

In addition to the bowl lathering, sometimes I am in the mood and have the time for a straight razor over a single edge razor...sometimes I am in the mood for that soap or cream for whatever reason. The reasons can be practical such as it’s the third shave on a single edge and I want a protective and slick soap...or sometimes the reason is nothing more than I am in the mood for this scent or that scent!

Enjoy!

Vr

Matt

2 47
 05-26-2018, 09:17 AM
User Info
Wet Shaving I have realized is not about saving money though that was the idea initially. Accessories eat up a lot....Preshave oil, witch Hazel, alum sticks, scissors, trimmer, bowls etc etc.

I might finally go in for a scuttle during the winters to get those warm, creamy shaves..... That's the plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,047
 05-26-2018, 09:48 AM
User Info
I think that’s a strong plan. I like the Texas scuttle because it is handsome, well made, has a good size bowl, and has a huge hot water reservoir.

2 47
 05-26-2018, 01:12 PM
User Info
I face lather 99% of the time, and when I once in a blue moon bowl lather, it's because I mix a cream and a soap, that both are on the softer side.

Face lathering gives my beard a better preparation than bowl lathering does.

If I expereince a period, especially during the colder winter season, where I feel my skin is sensitive and needs a break, I will occasionally bowl lather and use one of my angel soft synthetic brushes.

But I'm a face latherer for life, because it gives me a better face feel, a better facial massage and I feel the soap and lather builds up on top of my skin.

I will add, that new shavers probably will benefit from bowl lathering, because they can actually see the lather being created and they can get a better feel for how and when to create the lather and how much water is needed.

It took me 2-3 years to perfect the art of face lathering. I now know this, even though I thought I was perfect at face lathering right away. I now know I wasn't.

25 6,209
 05-26-2018, 02:20 PM
User Info
(05-26-2018, 01:12 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I face lather 99% of the time, and when I once in a blue moon bowl lather, it's because I mix a cream and a soap, that both are on the softer side.

Face lathering gives my beard a better preparation than bowl lathering does.

If I expereince a period, especially during the colder winter season, where I feel my skin is sensitive and needs a break, I will occasionally bowl lather and use one of my angel soft synthetic brushes.

But I'm a face latherer for life, because it gives me a better face feel, a better facial massage and I feel the soap and lather builds up on top of my skin.

I will add, that new shavers probably will benefit from bowl lathering, because they can actually see the lather being created and they can get a better feel for how and when to create the lather and how much water is needed.

It took me 2-3 years to perfect the art of face lathering. I now know this, even though I thought I was perfect at face lathering right away. I now know I wasn't.

Excellent points. I think sometimes the lather looks pretty good on the face, but the sheen and slickness are missing. I, too, took time to perfect face lathering because of this. I got okay shaves, but razor glide improved immeasurably when I started spending more time working in water after the lather looked good. I think for me the key turning point was using boar. I worked in lots of water since the brush itself can eat lather if not enough water is worked in. I wound up with incredibly slick lathers and thought it was due to boar, but the technique translated when I went back to badger and later to synthetics. I still like a boar now and then because the face feel is great, but for anyone it is a good training tool in building lather slowly and steadily until it is wet and slick enough for truly world-class shaves.

0 27