05-26-2018, 02:26 PM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
(03-26-2018, 07:29 PM)shave/brush Wrote: I think using a shave stick is the most fun. But I also like to bowl lather about 30% of the time.

I agree!

I really like shave sticks! I wish more artisan's offered them. Out of my favorite soap makers only one company even offers them at all (D.R. Harris). I would use them exclusively if they were offered by my other favorite soap makers regardless of if I was traveling or not. (I know you can put the soap in a tube yourself but I would rather buy it already done even if it costed a little more.)

12 609
 05-26-2018, 02:41 PM
User Info
(05-26-2018, 02:26 PM)JRRIII Wrote:
(03-26-2018, 07:29 PM)shave/brush Wrote: I think using a shave stick is the most fun. But I also like to bowl lather about 30% of the time.

I agree!

I really like shave sticks! I wish more artisan's offered them. Out of my favorite soap makers only one company even offers them at all (D.R. Harris). I would use them exclusively if they were offered by my other favorite soap makers regardless of if I was traveling or not. (I know you can put the soap in a tube yourself but I would rather buy it already done even if it costed a little more.)

Mystic Water offers a shave stick option on all of its soaps.

https://www.mystic4men.com/

53 8,233
 05-26-2018, 03:49 PM
User Info
Quote:I will add, that new shavers probably will benefit from bowl lathering, because they can actually see the lather being created and they can get a better feel for how and when to create the lather and how much water is needed.

It took me 2-3 years to perfect the art of face lathering. I now know this, even though I thought I was perfect at face lathering right away. I now know I wasn't.

Completely agree with Claus.

After 40 years plus of wet shaving with a DE (and then sometimes SE), mug shaving, bowl lathering, face lathering, I took up straight razors last year.

I felt like a beginning shaver in many regards, although the lessons of angles and pressure stood me in good stead. I found the lather had to be more 'precise' with a straight razor. And so I found that bowl lathering at first allowed me to dial in the lather better without worrying about irritation to the face from a combination of face lathering and beginners SR technique.

When I found the kind of lather/soap/water combinations that work and had them dialed in, I was then able to recreate them with face lathering.

What a fascinating hobby this is Smile

30 892
 05-26-2018, 05:37 PM
User Info
(05-26-2018, 02:41 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(05-26-2018, 02:26 PM)JRRIII Wrote:

I agree!

Mystic Water offers a shave stick option on all of its soaps.

https://www.mystic4men.com/

Yes Mystic Water is a great soap. As good as any. I buy the puck and put it into a tube. Much cheaper that way.

5 1,801
 05-30-2018, 02:20 AM
User Info
I see a portion of the fun resides in choosing the best method to gain your favorite lather. I tried bowl lathering but find it uncomfortable. Arm gets tired after applying unnecessary pressure in a circular motion   on the bowl's surface. Face lathering is much more appealing for me. It's less strenuous and more conserving. After all this hobby should provide a restorative feeling otherwise why do it.

2 47
 05-30-2018, 05:42 AM
User Info
I agree TRB'. No matter how the lather is made, lather making is a critical skill for a great shave. Years ago when I had far more time I would suggest to folks that they actually practice making great lather in their hand. Back then boar brushes weren't pre-broken in* and I suggested lathering both to practice lathering and to more rapidly break in the brush.

*I don't know if they are today, but "back then" the change in Omega boars could be clearly seen. One brush took 30 or latherings to start to break in, the next brush was starting to break in with one shave.

32 6,519
 05-30-2018, 06:25 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I seem to be in the minority here on which way is easier. When I started I tried bowl lathering but could never get it quite right. I had face lathering  perfected in about two shaves and I spent evenings standing in bathroom watching tv and practicing bowl lathering. Took a while.

8 2,531