09-02-2012, 06:39 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I currently shave with a variety of DE razors, but I have been toying with the idea of using a straight razor. I currently own an old Bartman and have used it to shave my cheeks. But the more I explore the topic the more it seems imperative to be able to use the razor in either hand. Is it possible to shave well with a straight only using the dominant hand or is it essential to be ambidextrous? If you can use only one hand, are there special techniques or do you just do the best you can? My left hand has a slight tremor so this is really a big deal for me. Confused

16 542
 09-02-2012, 08:07 PM
User Info
i am not an expert on straight shaving, but i have tried it a few times and i do not see how you can be very comfortable with only using one hand to shave your whole face. It is possible, but, you may find it very challenging, especially, if you are trying to improve your technique.
i am hoping a few of the more experienced gents will come along and reply. Good luck, but i would highly suggest you try both hands. It is not as hard as you would imagine.

75 20,883
 09-02-2012, 08:55 PM
User Info
Of course you can!

The Japanese straight razor is designed for single handed use (right hand).

I shaved with one hand for years.

That said, it is vastly easier to get a couple of places using your left hand.

But, if you are dexterous enough, you can get it all done equally well.

9 2,988
 09-02-2012, 08:55 PM
User Info
I'm in the process of learning, and I would guess that it might be slightly more difficult to shave the left side of your face with your right hand, but it certainly can be done. What the heck, you have to learn new techniques anyway to use the razor. Look at the videos on youtube and you will see all kinds of different techniques.

0 5
 09-02-2012, 09:09 PM
User Info
(09-02-2012, 08:55 PM)ackwired Wrote: I'm in the process of learning, and I would guess that it might be slightly more difficult to shave the left side of your face with your right hand.

It's actually not. Hold the razor like this.

[Image: DSC05299.jpg]

And like this for ATG on your right cheek and other places.

[Image: DSC05300.jpg]

9 2,988
 09-03-2012, 03:57 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

I switched hands from the first straight razor shave many years ago and have never regretted my decision. To train my non-dominant hand, the left, I began using it for the mundane daily activities: brushing my teeth, opening door knobs, and so on. I still do that — by now it has become a habit. I also partly switch hands with the DE.

Is it imperative to switch hands with the straight razor? No, of course not. Go with what works best for you. With what you feel most comfortable. For me, switching hands improves my field of vision, as well as make some spots easier to reach with the blade. It also adds more color to my straight razor shaving ritual.
Obie

132 2,614
 09-03-2012, 01:41 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
(09-02-2012, 08:55 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Of course you can!

The Japanese straight razor is designed for single handed use (right hand).

I shaved with one hand for years.

That said, it is vastly easier to get a couple of places using your left hand.

But, if you are dexterous enough, you can get it all done equally well.

(09-02-2012, 09:09 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(09-02-2012, 08:55 PM)ackwired Wrote: I'm in the process of learning, and I would guess that it might be slightly more difficult to shave the left side of your face with your right hand.

It's actually not. Hold the razor like this.

[Image: DSC05299.jpg]

And like this for ATG on your right cheek and other places.

[Image: DSC05300.jpg]

Thank you so much for your advice. I will try it out soon. As for the suggestion that I train my left hand, I understand that would be meeting the task head on, but I cannot stop the tremor in my left hand no matter how dexterous I become with it. This is a medical issue and why I saw the necessity to use both hands as a deal breaker. Under different circumstances I would certainly give it a try.

16 542
 09-03-2012, 04:18 PM
User Info
I've only been straight razor shaving for 2 months, but only use one hand to shave. I hold the razor like a kamisori, with the scales straight out,not 90 degrees.

21 1,473