09-02-2012, 07:13 PM
User Info
PreShave Soaps, who needs 'em huh? I mean, soap is soap right? Well this is exactly what I thought for so many months before giving a PreShave Soap a try. All I can say is that was precious time wasted. The use of a PreShave Soap has made a drastic impact on the comfort, closeness, and enjoyability of each and every shave I have. I must thank RazoRock_Joe for his informative article detailing how he uses a PreShave Soap and how it's helped him with his shaves. Shortly after reading about his experience I was in a Publix grocery store and I saw the Clearly Natural glycerin soaps for just $1.29. I picked up the Aloe version intent on giving Joe's protocol a try. The glycerin bar from Clearly Natural made such a huge impact that it was immediately noticeable. Since that first use I have not had a single shave without the use of a PreShave Soap.

Now entering the story from stage left is Krissy of Prairie Creations. She saw in my SOTD posts that I use a PreShave Soap and since she was in a testing phase for creating her own PreShave Soap she asked if I would test it out for her. I very happily agreed and here we are.

Upon arrival of her PreShave Soap I began to use it immediately. I used hers for 3 shaves straight, then I went back to the Clearly Natural - Aloe for 3 shaves, and I completed my test with 3 more shaves using her PreShave Soap again. It was apparent right away that Krissy's PreShave worked at least as good as the Clearly Natural soap. In fact, I couldn't tell much difference between the 2 after my first 3 uses of the Prairie Creations PreShave. However, when I went back to using the Clearly Natural bar I noticed how much drier and tighter my skin felt. It is certainly not an overly noticeable sensation, but it's there when compared to the PC PreShave. So when I started using the PC PreShave again it was easy to tell how much better this soap did at not only prepping my beard for stubble removal but also in conditioning my skin.

In conclusion, both the Clearly Natural and the Prairie Creations PreShave Soaps do a fantastic job of improving all aspects of my shaving experience and I wouldn't be upset using either of these 2 soaps as a PreShave. IMHO the PC PreShave is just more refined and helps me to achieve not only an amazing shaving experience, but superb post-shave skin care as well. What is yet to be seen is the cost efficiency of the PC PreShave Soap when compared to the price points of the others in this category.

Well done Krissy, and thanks for allowing me to test this product.

Prairie Creations PreShave Soap Ingredients:
Palm Oil, Coconut Milk, Olive Oil, Castor Oil, Fresh Carrot Juice, Sodium Hydroxide, Gerber Carrot (carrot, water), Whole Egg, Unrefined Shea Butter, Palm Kernel Oil, Coconut Oil, Honey, Sodium Lactate, Kaolin Clay, Raw Silk Fibers

Clearly Natural - Aloe Ingredients:
glycerine, saponified coconut, palm, and/or palm kernel, vegetable (coconut/corn/sugar) derived surfactants, corn derived humectants, sodium citrate.
additional ingredients: vitamin and botanical additives: vitamin e (tocopherol) and aloe vera (aloe barbadensis leaf extract) are added when specified in the variety name.

31 7,912
 09-02-2012, 07:50 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Brian, thanks for the excellent review. I am a big fan of Prairie Creations pre-shave oil so I know the quality that Krissy sends out in her products.

2 11,211
 09-02-2012, 08:10 PM
User Info
Brian, thanks for the review and enjoy your shaves.

75 20,883
 09-03-2012, 07:41 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(09-02-2012, 07:13 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: PreShave Soaps, who needs 'em huh? I mean, soap is soap right? Well this is exactly what I thought for so many months before giving a PreShave Soap a try. All I can say is that was precious time wasted. The use of a PreShave Soap has made a drastic impact on the comfort, closeness, and enjoyability of each and every shave I have...

Hi Brian

Nice write up Thumbsup

I definitely fall into the camp that believes a good pre-shave soap adds favourably to the overall shaving experience.

To date I've tried a few different soaps as pre-shave soaps:
  • Clearly Natural - Glycerine Bar Soap - Unscented
  • Dr. Bronner - Almond, Baby Mild (Unscented), Peppermint and Rose
  • Neutrogena Facial Cleansing Bar (Fragrance Free)
  • Neutrogena Naturals Face & Body Bar
  • Proraso - Sul Filo Del Rasoio - Glycerin Pre-Shave Soap
  • Whole Foods 365 Vegetable Glycerine Soap - Unscented
Today will be my second time using Prairie Creations Pre-Shave Soap...

I also have a bar of MUSGO REAL - Glycerine Lime Oil Soap waiting in my shave nook to try.

And thanks to Dave's positive experience, review of Pears Transparent Soap "Gentle Care" I plan to give this soap a try as a pre-shave soap sometime in the future.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 09-03-2012, 08:20 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
For a couple of years now I've used the Musgo Real Glyce Lime soap with what I thought was good results. Then one day a few months back, I discovered a bar of Speick buried in the bottom drawer and decided to give it a try. Well, I liked it better than the Musgo Real. Then a week or so ago, Krissy sent me a sample of her pre-shave soap which left my skin feeling a little softer.

So right now I am rotating between Speick Bar Soap and Prairie Creations Pre-Shave Soap as I get good results from both.

I also just received a sample from Martin de Candre of their Fougere soap that I am going to try.

173 23,487
 09-03-2012, 10:56 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Thanks for the excellent review Brian! It is much appreciated.

I too have tried a multitude of glycerin bars as well as a few pre-shave washes.
Of the glycerin bars, the Mr. Glo has become my favorite. I can only guess that the added oils help it to further soften the facial hair.

I am fortunate enough to have a sample of Krissy's pre-shave bar and I will start using it with my next shave tomorrow.
I look forward to my own thorough comparison.

Thanks again!

Eric

6 905
 09-05-2012, 04:20 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
After two shaves with Krissy's pre-shave soap, I can honestly say that it softens my facial hair better than any glycerin bar including Mr. Glo.
It's a very "slippery" soap and even after rinsing, I find that my face retains some of the slip where the glycerin bars rinse off cleaner. This is a good thing for a pre-shave IMO.
Usually, when I use a glycerin based bar, I add a pre-shave product like Trumper's Skin Food or Proraso Pre-Post. With this soap, I don't feel the need to do so.

It also makes my skin feel softer and less taught prior to the shave. What I use during the shave can negate this but there is no avoiding that if one uses a more drying soap or cream.

There is almost no detectable scent aside from the ingredients and those ingredients are very interesting and very different from the pre-shave soap norm.

I will continue to try this soap but so far, I've got to say that I really think that Krissy is on to something. Smile

6 905
 09-07-2012, 06:47 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
The Prairie Creations pre-shave soap seems to get better with each use.
The only cumulative effect I can think of would be the fact the the skin gets softer and properly conditioned from continued usage of the soap. The glycerin based bars, while good, don't seem to have this effect for me.

Because this soap is so kind to my sensitive skin, I may give it a try the Lesiureguy/Joe-Italian Barber way and leave some lather on my face instead of rinsing it off prior to lathering up.
Hopefully, that will equal something even nicer which is really just splitting hairs, (bad pun---sorry)at this point. Smile

6 905
 09-07-2012, 06:52 AM
User Info
I completely agree with you here. Continued use of the PC preshave soap give a better cumulative effect regarding skincare. Another bar (or two) will be in my upcoming PC order.

Thanks Krissy!

31 7,912
 09-15-2012, 02:39 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(09-03-2012, 07:41 AM)mikeperry Wrote: To date I've tried a few different soaps as pre-shave soaps:
  • Clearly Natural - Glycerine Bar Soap - Unscented
  • Dr. Bronner - Almond, Baby Mild (Unscented), Peppermint and Rose
  • Neutrogena Facial Cleansing Bar (Fragrance Free)
  • Neutrogena Naturals Face & Body Bar
  • Proraso - Sul Filo Del Rasoio - Glycerin Pre-Shave Soap
  • Whole Foods 365 Vegetable Glycerine Soap - Unscented
Today will be my second time using Prairie Creations Pre-Shave Soap...

I also have a bar of MUSGO REAL - Glycerine Lime Oil Soap waiting in my shave nook to try.

First, full disclosure: I bought Prairie Creations -- Tallow & Lanolin Shaving Soap "Green Irish Tweed" and Aftershave Balm "Green Irish Tweed", along with those two items Krissy very kindly included free samples of Prairie Creations -- Pre-Shave Soap, Douceur de Cando (DdC) Shaving Soap "Lilac" (without going into the back story the scent was of my choosing) and a "Pomegranate" sniffie. All items can be seen here.

Second, I've found all the above listed soaps (ones I've actually used) to work acceptably (or better) as pre-shave soaps ie
  • Cleanse the skin.
  • Soften the beard.
  • Hydrates the skin (don't want to be using a soap that drys out the skin).
Third, one day I will get round to trying the bar of MRGLO I have sitting in my shave nook, but so far I keep putting it off (regardless of the many positive reviews it gets) due to "Alcohol" being listed as one of the ingredients. Having such pale, "sensitive" skin, I generally tend to stay away from grooming/shaving products that list "Alcohol" as an ingredient...

Finally onto my review of Prairie Creations Pre-Shave Soap - Unscented.

I've now used this pre-shave soap 10 times and feel comfortable, safe to say, I like it a lot!

It performs (very) well on the 3 bullet points listed above, especially on points 2 and 3.

Like most things "unscented" this pre-shave soap does have its own mild scent (via the ingredients used). With the soap held right under my nose I have to deliberately breath to smell the scent, so I would call it a very! mild scent. The best way I can describe the scent is mildly earthy (I could have sworn Prairie Creations listed something very similar on their site, but I can't find, see it now), and knowing "carrot" (via two different sources) appears in the ingredient list I swear you can make out the faint smell of carrot coming through.

For the money (cheap), Clearly Natural - Glycerine Bar Soap - Unscented and Whole Foods 365 Vegetable Glycerine Soap - Unscented are excellent performers as pre-shave soaps and well worth investigating if you've not tried them (both are fairly easy to pick-up at locally).

Prior to trying Prairie Creations Pre-Shave Soap I was a big fan of Proraso - Sul Filo Del Rasoio - Glycerin Pre-Shave Soap, still am, but I honestly think Prairie Creations Pre-Shave Soap (slightly) outperforms Proraso on all 3 bullet points listed above.

Once I use up my sample of Prairie Creations Pre-Shave Soap and the remainder of the Proraso I have in stock, I will be moving over to (ordering) Prairie Creations Pre-Shave Soap as my pre-shave soap of choice.

Highly recommended.

23 1,872
 09-15-2012, 09:56 PM
User Info
Mike, thanks for the review. Enjoy the soap.

75 20,883
 09-17-2012, 12:53 AM
User Info
Great review, I have tried several pre shave soaps & gels.

But have now settled on one called: Fitjar "Nyasha" Black Soap. Excellent pre shave soap, highly recommend, not cheap but last's approx 2 months.

Charles U.K

0 2,338
 09-17-2012, 06:37 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(09-17-2012, 12:53 AM)whatmorebrushs Wrote: But have now settled on one called: Fitjar "Nyasha" Black Soap. Excellent pre shave soap, highly recommend, not cheap but last's approx 2 months.

Hi Charles

Assuming I'm linking correctly to the product you are referring to, at £17.40 for a 90g bar it ain't cheap...

Or do you manage to pick it up cheaper directly from the source, Fitjar Soap?

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 09-18-2012, 02:31 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I've compared Krissy's soap to two African black soaps this past week as well as all of the other ones that I've previously mentioned. One of the African soaps has a glycerin base, the other an artisan, softer African soap containing shea butter and other butters and oils.

The Prairie Creations outperformed both of them as well as everything else that I have tried. I think the true secret to Krissy's soap is continued use. The first and second times out I found it a nice soap that was at least on par with everything else that I've tried but after a week and more, I find that my skin remains softer and the hair easier to cut with this soap as a pre-wash.

Always, a YMMV but this is working for me so far.
What would make it absolutely PERFECT IMO, is to have a version that adds some exfoliation. Some minimal type of abrasive added to the bar to be able to cleanse and mechanically exfoliate.

6 905
 10-31-2012, 08:42 AM
User Info
I use a natural pre-shave soap we make ourselves and it helps improve the shave a lot, I recomend some type of natural soap like Dr. Bronners bar soap as a pre-shave

0 34