09-02-2012, 09:02 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
When it comes to shaving brushes, I have horse, badger, boar, badger/boar, horse/boar, and synthetic. I have floppy brushes and brushes with more backbone. I have long loft brushes and short loft brushes. Also, wider and narrower brush diameters. I have brushes with long handles, short handles, skinny handles, and fatter handles. Those handles may be molded plastic, lathe turned resin, or one of a variety of woods.

So, where does the heresy come in? For the most part, I don't think about which brush might match up better with which shaving cream or soap. I use my boar brushes on my soaps, creams, and croaps. Except for my floppiest silver-tips, I do the same with my badgers. My horsehair and synthetic, too, get picked on a whim or a mood rather than matching brush to soap or cream.
Some shavers prefer boar to badger (or vice versa), won't abide horsehair, or don't like synthetics because they don't bloom. A handle can make or break a brush for others.

I just don't pay that much attention to those details. As I said above, what I happen to be in the mood for plays a bigger part in determining which brush I use than finding that perfect combination of brush to soap/cream.

Am I alone in that respect or are there others out there who feel the same? Whatever your answer might be, just enjoy those shaves. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 09-02-2012, 09:04 PM
User Info
If that is heresy, then I've been a huge apostate....

9 2,988
 09-02-2012, 09:10 PM
User Info
(09-02-2012, 09:04 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: If that is heresy, then I've been a huge apostate....

+1 Same here! What ever i feel like using, then that is what i use. Also, seeing that i only use two soaps, i have never put much thought into which brushes work best with them. Biggrin

75 20,883
 09-02-2012, 09:14 PM
User Info
Apart from floppy brushes not being practical to use with hard soaps, I see no impediments to doing whatever I want.

9 2,988
 09-02-2012, 09:17 PM
User Info
There are brushes that I like the feel of on my face better than others, but as far as which brush for which soap/cream I'd say I never thing about it. Even the floppiest brush (Vulfix 2234) & softest brush (Muhle Black Fibre) I have can load my hardest soaps with ease.

31 7,914
 09-02-2012, 09:24 PM
  • freddy
User Info
Wow, gents, thanks for your quick responses. Frankly, I thought I was going to get jumped on for this and am rather surprised that the first three to answer feel pretty much as I do about this. Smile

2 11,211
 09-02-2012, 09:25 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
When using MWF I generally use a boar brush, but that's no big choice as all of my brushes are boar except for one. My one lone badger is my Plisson EW 10 and I only use it with MdC. Don't know why, no particular reason, I just do. I almost forgot, I do have two boar/badger mix brushes, the Vulfix 404 and the TSN 2012 LE Semogue.

I think I probably put more thought in to what soap/cream and after shave I'm going to use.

173 23,553
 09-02-2012, 09:29 PM
User Info
It's not the bow, it's the Indian!

I've said that many times previously and I stand by that!

My floppiest Silvertip is an Omega 500, and I use it for everything; that includes hard soaps.

OK, another way to say it is, "It's a poor workman who blames his tools."

In recognition that some brushes may be more difficult to use with some products, it may take more skill to utilize some brushes with some products, but see paragraphs 1 and 4. It's skill, not hardware.

32 6,311
 09-02-2012, 09:31 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(09-02-2012, 09:25 PM)Johnny Wrote: When using MWF I generally use a boar brush, but that's no big choice as all of my brushes are boar except for one. My one lone badger is my Plisson EW 10 and I only use it with MdC. Don't know why, not particular reason, I just do. I almost forgot, I do have two boar/badger mix brushes, the Vulfix 404 and the TSN 2012 LE Semogue.

I think I probably put more thought in to what soap/cream and after shave I'm going to use.

That's interesting, Johnny, because, like you, I usually spend my time deciding what soap/cream I'm going to use and my choice of brush may just come down to something like, "Hey, I haven't used that brush in a while" rather than, "I'm using a cream so let me see which silver-tip I'll match it up with."

2 11,211
 09-02-2012, 09:35 PM
User Info
(09-02-2012, 09:25 PM)Johnny Wrote: My one lone badger is my Plisson EW 10 and I only use it with MdC.

Keeping it 100% French? Biggrin

9 2,988
 09-02-2012, 09:42 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(09-02-2012, 09:29 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: It's not the bow, it's the Indian!

My floppiest Silvertip is an Omega 500, and I use it for everything; that includes hard soaps.

In recognition that some brushes may be more difficult to use with some products, it may take more skill to utilize some brushes with some products, but see paragraphs 1 and 4. It's skill, not hardware.

Brian, I agree with you about skill vs. hardware but one of the fascinating things about the brush thread here, as well as other shave sites, is the minute detail that so many get into when discussing brushes and that is certainly part of the hobby. However, that has never played a huge factor in what I'll use for the day's brush. I guess my skill in creating lather with most (but not all) soaps and creams has become good enough for me that I no longer think too much about that aspect. So it just seems to come down to what I'm in the mood for and not what might be deemed as the best brush for the job.

2 11,211
 09-02-2012, 09:50 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(09-02-2012, 09:35 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(09-02-2012, 09:25 PM)Johnny Wrote: My one lone badger is my Plisson EW 10 and I only use it with MdC.

Keeping it 100% French? Biggrin

You know, I never even thought about that, but why not. This sounds like a plan to me.

A Simpsons for my British soaps, a Shavemac for my German soaps, etc., etc., etc.

173 23,553
 09-02-2012, 10:07 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(09-02-2012, 09:02 PM)freddy Wrote: Am I alone in that respect or are there others out there who feel the same? Whatever your answer might be, just enjoy those shaves. Thumbsup

Hi Freddy

Much like yourself I just use whatever shaving cream or soap and brush I've decided to use that day, no forethought or time is taken to match one with the other...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 09-02-2012, 10:29 PM
User Info
(09-02-2012, 09:29 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: In recognition that some brushes may be more difficult to use with some products, it may take more skill to utilize some brushes with some products, but see paragraphs 1 and 4. It's skill, not hardware.

True, but why bother going through the extra effort when I can just grab a cream instead?

And speaking from personal experience, I don't think it is possible to face lather with a 22x66mm silvertip brush without grabbing the bristles and shortening the loft.

9 2,988
 09-02-2012, 10:43 PM
User Info
(09-02-2012, 09:42 PM)freddy Wrote:
(09-02-2012, 09:29 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: It's not the bow, it's the Indian!

Brian, I agree with you about skill vs. hardware but one of the fascinating things about the brush thread here, as well as other shave sites, is the minute detail that so many get into when discussing brushes and that is certainly part of the hobby. However, that has never played a huge factor in what I'll use for the day's brush. I guess my skill in creating lather with most (but not all) soaps and creams has become good enough for me that I no longer think too much about that aspect. So it just seems to come down to what I'm in the mood for and not what might be deemed as the best brush for the job.

Yeah I got it about brush minutia, and I marvel at it when I read it. I can't get into that depth regarding brushes. I'm simply not capable.

I do photography and at one point I asked a friend about a study in autumn reflections on water and ripples that I did. He gave me a long treatise about the photos, and at the end I had to ask, "But do you like them?". To me it's more visceral than a treatise and a "Can I use it?" more than anything else.

I know we aren't disagreeing, and I don't want to make it appear that we are, I just wanted to expound upon my point.

Maybe I should have also added that I in no way correlate the brush to the soap. My brushes generally are in a row and I take from the right and continue moving to the left as the days progress. My soap rotation does the same thing in a slightly different method since they are in columns. The only deviation is if I'm testing a product or whim strikes; in which case I deviate from the norm and afterwards return to it.

But correlating brush to soap isn't something I do.

At the moment I'm testing a (IMO) fairly unique soap and I plan to stick to the brush rotation even though I'm educating myself to the product and it's use with my brushes. How else can I evaluate it if I don't have the knowledge to use it properly with varying brushes? :-) Yeah, I know you didn't ask, but it's part of the answer.

About the soap... I may not be the best person to evaulate it, there are nuances here that it may require a shave surgeon to find, but this Indian will do the best that he can and describe it the best he can. But I intend to hit the 10, maybe the white "x". :-)

32 6,311
 09-02-2012, 10:55 PM
User Info
Count me in with you, Freddy.

47 1,270
 09-02-2012, 10:57 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
At the end its a personal preference.Could you use a floppy brush like the Kent BK8 with a triple milled soap or Mitchells Wool Fat?Of course you can,and youll get a lot of lather,but I personally dont like floppy/mop feeling brushes.However,I have made tons of lather from a BK8 and MWF , so if you know how to use it , the results are gonna be good.Biggrin

86 7,124
 09-02-2012, 11:19 PM
User Info
Much as the old saying "the right tool is the tool at hand", I feel that the right brush is the brush you want to use. Granted, some brushes lathers some soaps / creams quicker - but if you can't afford to spend an extra minute at most making lather then you might be better of with canned goo... Like many others I base my selection on what brush I feel like using, not what soap I've picked for the day.

That said, I won't pair my Body Shop Synthetic with my Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood soap... for some reason, I can't get that combo right; it always turns out too dry or too wet. I think we can blame the workman for that, and not the tools...

3 3,580
 09-03-2012, 12:03 AM
User Info
Consider me an heretic too! Biggrin

(09-02-2012, 09:14 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Apart from floppy brushes not being practical to use with hard soaps, I see no impediments to doing whatever I want.

Even floppy brushes can easily be used with hard soaps, if you know how to use them.

It's not rocket science. It is quite easy, in fact.
If the soap is hard, soak it. If the brush is floppy, have a longer loading period or grab the brush in a way that you are grabbing the base of the knot also to increase backbone.

Here's a video of our friend du212 doing so (1min. 16''):

At the end, it always comes down to personal preferences...

2 5,532
 09-03-2012, 12:47 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
That video is very good! du212 is using the Truefitt and Hill 1/2 super badger brush , that he borrowed me for a period of time : some people would say that the T&H is not a brush for hard shaving soaps, but you can see how well performs on that video.The hair is also luxurious.Here are some pics of it :

[Image: P1220057.jpg]

And another great brush,that many recommend for shaving creams,but I have tried with triple milled shaving soaps with EXCELLENT results,the Vulfix 2234 super badger shaving brush :

[Image: P1230492.jpg]

86 7,124