03-29-2018, 04:53 AM
User Info
Last year when I switched to using a safety razor, I could find Van Der Hagen razors and soaps pretty much everywhere in the Cleveland area, especially Target, Walmart, Walgreen's, CVS, and Rite-Aid. Now it's all but gone, especially the soap pucks. The shave butter I can still find at CVS, but that's about it.  Likewise, I've observed that from Target, Cremo-brand items have been phased out through clearance sales, with only CVS and sometimes Rite-Aid now carrying it at inflated prices.  What happened?  Is there some trend I failed to notice in phasing out certain lines of shaving products?

0 117
 03-29-2018, 11:04 AM
User Info
(03-29-2018, 04:53 AM)Michael_W Wrote: Last year when I switched to using a safety razor, I could find Van Der Hagen razors and soaps pretty much everywhere in the Cleveland area, especially Target, Walmart, Walgreen's, CVS, and Rite-Aid. Now it's all but gone, especially the soap pucks. The shave butter I can still find at CVS, but that's about it.  Likewise, I've observed that from Target, Cremo-brand items have been phased out through clearance sales, with only CVS and sometimes Rite-Aid now carrying it at inflated prices.  What happened?  Is there some trend I failed to notice in phasing out certain lines of shaving products?

I think HARRY's shave products pushed them out of TARGET*

Pronounced TAR-Zhay...... Cool

0 796
 03-29-2018, 04:06 PM
User Info
Yep, I miss being able to buy VDH luxury soap whenever I wanted. Now I have to buy from the Walmart app

0 61
 03-29-2018, 05:14 PM
User Info
I noticed the same thing here in Southern Mass. 
Walmart, Target, and CVS always carried VDH. Now I can't find it anywhere.

5 1,800
 04-01-2018, 05:10 PM
User Info
I went to Kroger today for groceries. They stock VDH there.

0 61
 04-01-2018, 05:57 PM
User Info
Publix is a large supermarket chain in seven southern states, including Florida.  My local Publix carries Cremo shave cream.

53 8,216
 04-01-2018, 06:05 PM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
I feel like there's more Cremo than ever... Think I saw a Sandalwood scent out of the corner of my eye the other day at Wegmans, and I am pretty sure they carry VDH too.

82 3,444
 04-01-2018, 06:44 PM
User Info
I can't imagine that those are selling. The average shopper has no interest in shaving soap pucks. The shoppers that decide to give it a try either don't get good results and then switch back to canned creams, or they do get good results and then find better soaps on the internet and never look back. In any case, even if soap pucks are selling, canned creams are almost surely selling much better, so it still does not make sense to keep items on the shelf that don't bring in very many sales.

4 219
 04-01-2018, 07:19 PM
User Info
The stores don't have to make a lot of money on an item to stock it. If it sells at all, they want to keep it in stock to draw people into the store so while you are there you may buy other items. Much like the "lost leader" theory. VDH Luxury holds it own with any other soap IMO. Looking back at all the many soaps I have bought I could have been very happy with just VDH Luxury soap.

5 1,800
 04-02-2018, 05:44 AM
User Info
(04-01-2018, 07:19 PM)shave/brush Wrote: The stores don't have to make a lot of money on an item to stock it. If it sells at all, they want to keep it in stock to draw people into the store so while you are there you may buy other items. Much like the "lost leader" theory. VDH Luxury holds it own with any other soap IMO. Looking back at all the many soaps I have bought I could have been very happy with just VDH Luxury soap.

Yeah, and the deluxe puck's price makes it ideal for those who like to get something as inexpensive as it is effective.  I still have my VDH deluxe puck and while it isn't quite as nice as the luxury version, I still like it a lot.  I used it for last night's shave, and I alternate between that and my Taylor of Old Bond Street cream from the tub.  In my opinion, VDH is a great soap that, even if the razors disappear from shelves, ought to remain.

0 117
 04-02-2018, 01:16 PM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
My local walmart's still carry them, I saw it just a few days ago. Maybe it could be less about them being pushed out and more about just not selling?

12 609
 04-03-2018, 01:40 PM
User Info
My Walmart is stocking Cremo in a big way, four different creams, and other misc. stuff I have no interest in and don't notice exactly what they are.  I think Cremo cut a deal with Walmart, and Target has moved on to stock things other than Cremo.

0 2
 04-03-2018, 02:41 PM
User Info
No sign of VDH Luxury. For awhile it was everywhere.

5 1,800