03-30-2018, 06:02 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
...doesn't work for me.
If I only paint the lather, the shave is uncomfortable and I end up with nicks.

I need to scrub the lather into my face with the brush. (and even after that, I still often use my fingers to press the lather even more (for certain areas of face)).

Anyone agree?

80 3,322
 03-30-2018, 08:17 AM
User Info
I use paintbrush strokes, but don't just quickly paint the lather on.  I spend some time working the lather in to fully soften the beard.

51 7,551
 03-30-2018, 08:29 AM
User Info
I start off with a scrubbing back and forth motion then I finish off with painting strokes. I do only use a shave stick. Works great for me.

5 1,743
 03-30-2018, 08:32 AM
User Info
I scrub a little bit with the lather for my first pass, partially because I had heard long ago about it defoliating the skin, but also because it seems to soften the hairs better.  But I don't bother doing it with the second and third pass lathers.

214 12,639
 03-30-2018, 08:56 AM
User Info
Painting lather from the bowl works great for me.  I don't find that scrubbing by face-lathering improves the shave.  That's just me obviously.

11 225
 03-30-2018, 09:23 AM
User Info
(03-30-2018, 08:17 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I use paintbrush strokes, but don't just quickly paint the lather on.  I spend some time working the lather in to fully soften the beard.

Signs011 Especially on the first pass.

Happy Shaving!
49erShaver

0 81
 03-30-2018, 11:42 AM
User Info
Personally, I greatly enjoy the wonderful massage I experience from my 2-Band brushes while face-lathering. I always begin with circular motions for the initial build-up of the lather as it just feels very good, then I perform firm paint-brush strokes to blossom and distribute the lather. 
I can't imagine just performing paint-brush strokes when face-lathering, but I am sure it will work, perfectly well, for some folks, and provide good shaves. 
It is just a matter of experimenting and perfecting your technique if you so choose to do this.  Shy

87 21,185
 03-30-2018, 11:53 AM
User Info
I like to mix it up. Face lather: nice scrubby feeling. Bowl lather with literal painting-stroke application (no more "working in" the lather almost "dabbing" the lather on). Both methods give me equally good results.

45 4,412
 03-30-2018, 12:58 PM
User Info
I prefer to face lather, if I bowl lathered it would be the same as using a can lather squirted on my brush.......IMHO

0 316
 03-30-2018, 02:20 PM
User Info
maybe discuss:
1) your pre-lather face prep?
2) soap used
3) water type

52 1,119
 03-30-2018, 03:27 PM
User Info
I currently am sporting a light beard so I kind of paint brush my neck line and have not had any issues.

7 1,582
 03-30-2018, 05:07 PM
User Info
I’ve tried many methods of lathering, and happily settled on this routine:
- load the brush well on the puck;
- then hand lather, hydrating and working the lather to about 75% completion;
- then face lather with only painting strokes until the lather has reached the consistency and coverage I desire.

I’ve tried face lathering with circular patterns on my face, but it’s never been a pleasant or effective method for me (messy as hell too). Besides, I’ve found circular patterns tend to be somewhat disfiguring to badger knots. Guess I’m a painter...

43 423
 04-01-2018, 05:48 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(03-30-2018, 05:07 PM)shaveser Wrote: I’ve tried many methods of lathering, and happily settled on this routine:
- load the brush well on the puck;
- then hand lather, hydrating and working the lather to about 75% completion;
- then face lather with only painting strokes until the lather has reached the consistency and coverage I desire.

I’ve tried face lathering with circular patterns on my face, but it’s never been a pleasant or effective method for me (messy as hell too). Besides, I’ve found circular patterns tend to be somewhat disfiguring to badger knots. Guess I’m a painter...
I used to do this too and it works quite well! I now just face lather bc I found a brush company that doesn't scratch my face and has just the right density.

80 3,322
 06-14-2018, 12:31 AM
User Info
Painting the lather on to the face works. Circular strokes to get the lather consistency just right in brushes bristles. Apply in a circular motion to get deep down in the facial hairs. One pass then nothing but paint strokes. Easy as boiling an egg.

1 42
 06-14-2018, 03:59 AM
User Info
I do both.  I swirl the brush around to raise the hairs and then paint to get a nice even thick lather throughout the face.

0 264
 06-14-2018, 05:00 AM
User Info
When I have bowled lathered, and painted the lather onto my face, I have had poor shaves. I create the lather on my face and paint it at the same time . If this feels uncomfortable , then you may need another brush.

0 60
 06-14-2018, 06:05 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I use what I call the Hybrid method. I work the lather up about halfway in the bowl then finish with face lathering. However, I never use a circular movement. I have found in the past nothing destroys a good brush faster than lathering in a circular manner. I have 10-year-old brushes which look almost as they did when they came out of the box. I have certain brushes that I use only as bowl a latherer (Kents and the like). Finally, a few which are exclusively face latherers. For the most part, the major part of my brushes are Hybrids.

75 1,132
 06-14-2018, 06:38 AM
User Info
Nero: I too find that painting lather on leads to an uncomfortable shave lacking slickness.  My preferred method is to load my brush (then load it some more), take the proto lather that's stuck to the top of the puck and work it into my beard with my fingertips.  Then I take the loaded brush to my face and build lather with circles and finish with paint strokes.  Subsequent passes I wet my face and paint lather over the water.  This thins the lather and my third pass lather is pretty wet and thin with low cushion but high slickness.  I don't worry about keeping brushes pristine due to circles because I build my own and enjoy it.  That said, I have to invent new reasons to build a brush because I'm having zero luck wearing one out.  I like circles but don't like mashing the brush hard.  I like splay and they way it feels on my face but I generally use only the top 1/3 of the fibers.  My number one objective is to enjoy my shave and the best tool to do that is slickness thus I'll continue rubbing in a soap base with my fingers and using circles on my face lathering.

6 291
 06-14-2018, 10:19 AM
User Info
I'm a painter - I can do a bit of scrubbing on the first application (for the first pass), but I find that scrubbing the face with the brush on the 2nd and 3rd pass can irritate my skin if it's a scritchy brush! I find it makes no difference to the shave. The main difference for me is whether i've steamed my whiskers enough in the shower, or with a damp flannel...

0 15
 06-14-2018, 10:26 AM
User Info
There’s no set way to do it. I’m gonna guess that some brushes do better with circular motions while other brushes do better with painting motions. I’ve been face lathering for 3 years now and have settled into my own routine. I facelather with circular motions for a minimum of 2 minutes while adding water then finish off lathering with paint strokes and adding water as needed. I find that having the soap on my face for a good 2 minutes REALLY helps with preparing the whiskers to be sliced off. For following passes, I splash water on my face and only do paint strokes to apply the lather on my face again.

12 242