06-14-2018, 10:28 AM
User Info
I scrub it on for my first pass to work the lather into my beard and on the 2nd pass, I just paint it on.

0 79
 06-14-2018, 01:59 PM
User Info
I build lather in a bowl to better control adding the water content, then paint it on, then use just the tips to raise the hair some and generally stir things up a bit plus it gives me a couple minutes to soften the beard and enjoy the lather. If I'm in a hurry I just paint it on and haven't noticed a shave quality difference but from now on I'll pay closer attention.

1 60
 06-15-2018, 01:50 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(03-30-2018, 11:53 AM)primotenore Wrote: I like to mix it up. Face lather: nice scrubby feeling. Bowl lather with literal painting-stroke application (no more "working in" the lather almost "dabbing" the lather on). Both methods give me equally good results.

Me exactly. If you shave after a hot shower and just wait 30 seconds or a minute after you paint the lather on to let it help soften your beard you won't need to "work" it in.

8 2,485
 06-15-2018, 06:15 AM
User Info
I've never noticed any difference with those methods with my skin.

75 2,383
 06-15-2018, 01:40 PM
User Info
(06-15-2018, 01:50 AM)Mouser Wrote:
(03-30-2018, 11:53 AM)primotenore Wrote: I like to mix it up. Face lather: nice scrubby feeling. Bowl lather with literal painting-stroke application (no more "working in" the lather almost "dabbing" the lather on). Both methods give me equally good results.

Me exactly. If you shave after a hot shower and just wait 30 seconds or a minute after you paint the lather on to let it help soften your beard you won't need to "work" it in.
Great minds think alike... Biggrin

45 4,452
 06-16-2018, 03:06 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(06-15-2018, 01:40 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(06-15-2018, 01:50 AM)Mouser Wrote:

Great minds think alike... Biggrin
Indeed. I get the feeling we also partially share heritage. Any Italian in your family history Primo?

8 2,485
 06-16-2018, 03:29 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(03-30-2018, 12:58 PM)zipper Wrote: I prefer to face lather, if I bowl lathered it would be the same as using a can lather squirted on my brush.......IMHO

Hear, hear. Bowl lathering seems redundant to me, among other things.

8 1,014
 06-16-2018, 03:42 AM
User Info
(03-30-2018, 12:58 PM)zipper Wrote: I prefer to face lather, if I bowl lathered it would be the same as using a can lather squirted on my brush.......IMHO
Sorry, my friend, but you simply can't make that comparison. The product itself is a totally different animal, not to mention, the absence of propellents. Now, enjoying a good face-lathering is indeed terrific and I do just that myself probably more than half of the time.

45 4,452
 06-16-2018, 04:50 AM
User Info
From a relative newbie when it comes to DE shaving, after spending the last 20 years using various Gillette cartridges. In my limited 7 months of DE shaving I have always bowl lathered until this post prompted me to try face lathering - the quality of my lather has been the number one factor in my opinion that has improved my shaves.

With bowl lathering I get very comfortable and irritation free shaves but on the few occasions that I have tried face lathering I have noticed a slightly closer shave but quite a lot of irritation around the mouth and chin area.

Could this be because my lather and face is better prepared so it is allowing a closer shave and then my razor is less forgiving on less than perfect technique?

Or could it be the face lathering process is causing my slightly sensitive skin to become over scrubbed and making it sore to start with?

0 6
 06-22-2018, 02:56 AM
User Info
(03-30-2018, 09:23 AM)49erShaver Wrote:
(03-30-2018, 08:17 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I use paintbrush strokes, but don't just quickly paint the lather on.  I spend some time working the lather in to fully soften the beard.

Signs011 Especially on the first pass.

Happy Shaving!
49erShaver

+1  I believe soap performance is key regardless.  With a great-performing soap, I can work up a better lather with paintbrush strokes.

4 724
 06-22-2018, 03:54 AM
User Info
(03-30-2018, 06:02 AM)Nero Wrote: ...doesn't work for me.
If I only paint the lather, the shave is uncomfortable and I end up with nicks.

I need to scrub the lather into my face with the brush. (and even after that, I still often use my fingers to press the lather even more (for certain areas of face)).

Anyone agree?

I agree! And the brush can't be some soft girly thing that's only good for painting, it has to have backbone, boar is my choice. Folks tend to want the lather to look good as though they're making some '70's commercial, but you're not there to be photogenic. You work the beard, and the skin, and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!!!

0 272
 06-22-2018, 04:07 AM
User Info
(03-30-2018, 02:20 PM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: maybe discuss:
1) your pre-lather face prep?
2) soap used
3) water type

My only face prep is showing up in front of the mirror.

Any shave puck will do, I've even used regular bar soap.

Water here is pretty good, better than most.

[Image: 48kBgRJ.jpg]

0 272
 06-24-2018, 05:10 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(06-16-2018, 04:50 AM)chrism Wrote: From a relative newbie when it comes to DE shaving, after spending the last 20 years using various Gillette cartridges. In my limited 7 months of DE shaving I have always bowl lathered until this post prompted me to try face lathering - the quality of my lather has been the number one factor in my opinion that has improved my shaves.

With bowl lathering I get very comfortable and irritation free shaves but on the few occasions that I have tried face lathering I have noticed a slightly closer shave but quite a lot of irritation around the mouth and chin area.

Could this be because my lather and face is better prepared so it is allowing a closer shave and then my razor is less forgiving on less than perfect technique?

Or could it be the face lathering process is causing my slightly sensitive skin to become over scrubbed and making it sore to start with?

I have tried face lathering a few times and my skin is usually irritated before the razor touches my face. I would like to be able to mix it up and face lather on occasion, but my skin is too sensitive.

3 629
 06-24-2018, 07:45 AM
User Info
(06-24-2018, 05:10 AM)DayMan Wrote:
(06-16-2018, 04:50 AM)chrism Wrote: From a relative newbie when it comes to DE shaving, after spending the last 20 years using various Gillette cartridges. In my limited 7 months of DE shaving I have always bowl lathered until this post prompted me to try face lathering - the quality of my lather has been the number one factor in my opinion that has improved my shaves.

I have tried face lathering a few times and my skin is usually irritated before the razor touches my face. I would like to be able to mix it up and face lather on occasion, but my skin is too sensitive.
First: Look at your brush. The softer the brush the less skin irritation.
Second: Your soap, certain soaps (due to ingredients) may cause irritation.

0 399
 06-24-2018, 06:07 PM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
I build lather on my face then once it's there and looking how I want it to I will start painting so there is an even coat of lather all over. I have never gotten good results with just painting either.

11 583
 06-25-2018, 04:34 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(06-24-2018, 07:45 AM)zipper Wrote:
(06-24-2018, 05:10 AM)DayMan Wrote:

I tried it with a boar and a cheap badger when I first started wet shaving. I tried it a few months ago with a plisson synthetic and a whipped dog synthetic. I only have one badger brush, Vulfix 374 Super Badger, but it’s too scritchy for face lathering. I only use Stirling unscented beeswax or B&M Latha unscented, so I know its not the soap.

3 629
 06-25-2018, 06:30 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. I do this about 35 to 40 times to work in the lather on my neck and it works fine.

I swirl on my face face because I have iron skin there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

82 1,627
 06-25-2018, 06:44 AM
User Info
(06-25-2018, 04:34 AM)DayMan Wrote:
(06-24-2018, 07:45 AM)zipper Wrote:
(06-24-2018, 05:10 AM)DayMan Wrote: I have tried face lathering a few times and my skin is usually irritated before the razor touches my face. I would like to be able to mix it up and face lather on occasion, but my skin is too sensitive.

I tried it with a boar and a cheap badger when I first started wet shaving. I tried it a few months ago with a plisson synthetic and a whipped dog synthetic. I only have one badger brush, Vulfix 374 Super Badger, but it’s too scritchy for face lathering. I only use Stirling unscented beeswax or B&M Latha unscented, so I know its not the soap.
Even an unscented soap may have ingredients that might irritate your skin...…. Cool

0 399
 06-25-2018, 08:05 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(06-25-2018, 06:44 AM)zipper Wrote:
(06-25-2018, 04:34 AM)DayMan Wrote:
(06-24-2018, 07:45 AM)zipper Wrote: First: Look at your brush. The softer the brush the less skin irritation.

Even an unscented soap may have ingredients that might irritate your skin...…. Cool

True, but of all the ones I’ve tried, these 2 do the best. I’m sure just as in using a razor, that part of it is my technique.

3 629
 06-25-2018, 08:46 AM
User Info
(06-25-2018, 08:05 AM)DayMan Wrote:
(06-25-2018, 06:44 AM)zipper Wrote:
(06-25-2018, 04:34 AM)DayMan Wrote: I tried it with a boar and a cheap badger when I first started wet shaving. I tried it a few months ago with a plisson synthetic and a whipped dog synthetic. I only have one badger brush, Vulfix 374 Super Badger, but it’s too scritchy for face lathering. I only use Stirling unscented beeswax or B&M Latha unscented, so I know its not the soap.

True, but of all the ones I’ve tried, these 2 do the best. I’m sure just as in using a razor, that part of it is my technique.
OK...Lets look at your razor and choice of blades. I too suffer from sensitive skin. A so called mild razor from Muhle (forgot the number)
is too rough for me. I've tried 7-8...the mildest for me has been the Rockwell 6s. Blades....another story.

0 399