03-30-2018, 04:16 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I've owned many fine brushes. Never a Wiborg.

It seems this is the most desired brush on the B/S/T. More than Rooney Finest, M&F originals, Simpson Two band super (grey box), Varlet,etc.

Would be interested to hear from members who have used Wiborgs and have opinions on how they stack up to the established classics. Is it truly quality, or is it “the Chase” that makes them so desirable?

Would you give up your Rooney’s, Varlet’s etc for a Wiborg?

172 1,560
 03-30-2018, 04:24 PM
User Info
Not a chance.  Wiborg are excellent brushes with fabulous knots but I wouldn't trade one of my Rooneys for 10 Wiborgs.  I think they are so desirable at the moment because they are almost impossible to secure not necessarily because they are in anyway better than any other currently made brush.  It is amazing that everyone on the BST seems to want to get their hands on one these day though isn't it?

75 2,408
 03-30-2018, 04:38 PM
User Info
Go back and read some reviews from several years ago when they were easier to obtain. Should tell you all you need to know.

They are fine brushes, but not my choice and certainly not worth a premium. Clearly mileage varies greatly on this subject.

19 223
 03-30-2018, 05:53 PM
User Info
Short answer Ron is NO. I’ve owned several and while they are fine brushes they aren’t anything better than the brushes you listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

120 1,042
 03-30-2018, 06:29 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
Paladin brushes are readily available in multiple styles and colors and knot profiles.

Though Wiborg is a favorite of some, I doubt anyone would be dissatisfied with a Paladin

62 1,742
 03-30-2018, 06:32 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
(03-30-2018, 04:24 PM)merkur man Wrote: Not a chance.  Wiborg are excellent brushes with fabulous knots but I wouldn't trade one of my Rooneys for 10 Wiborgs.  I think they are so desirable at the moment because they are almost impossible to secure not necessarily because they are in anyway better than any other currently made brush.  It is amazing that everyone on the BST seems to want to get their hands on one these day though isn't it?

Signs011

I owned three... and traded them all.  Smile
They are good brushes but not any more special than others - just hard to obtain.

43 2,038
 03-30-2018, 09:20 PM
User Info
(03-30-2018, 04:24 PM)merkur man Wrote: Not a chance.  Wiborg are excellent brushes with fabulous knots but I wouldn't trade one of my Rooneys for 10 Wiborgs.  I think they are so desirable at the moment because they are almost impossible to secure not necessarily because they are in anyway better than any other currently made brush.  It is amazing that everyone on the BST seems to want to get their hands on one these day though isn't it?

I couldn't agree more. This post nailed it.
I'll add, yes they really are truly exceptional! I've had 3.. 2 of which were satisfactory/normal per my standards and one was truly exceptional.
Same goes for Rooney's.. tried about 12 and only 4 were exceptional..
Point is.. the good ones are great but will I pay $700 for one? absolutely not. I would rather spend it on a straight

20 880
 03-31-2018, 03:01 AM
User Info
Thanks for this Post, and the comments regarding Wiborg!
I had a chance to buy THREE last year, but the cheapest one was $350, the rest were well over $400. After some expensive Simpsons in early 2016, and having trouble
selling them at the purchase price ($350+), I set my price limit at UNDER $300 for any future brush purchases. I have a great assortment of Paladin, Varlet, Shavemac,
Thater, and 'older' M&F using THAT guideline.

53 461
 03-31-2018, 03:07 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Thank you gentlemen.

At some point, I’d like to try one for myself. But I am patient and will obtain one when the appropriate opportunity arises.

172 1,560
 03-31-2018, 03:51 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
Very interesting, and helpful, thread.

26 650
 03-31-2018, 04:10 AM
User Info
There are so many excellent brushes available now a days so that when I’m looking to buy a brush I’m looking for a hand turned handle and hand tied knot, preferably all done by the same brush maker.

I have owned a total of 6 wiborgs and currently still have three. The least I have spent for a wiborg was $400 and the most I have spent was $650. I have owned silvertip, finest, and white badger variants. All are excellent brushes. The knots are of various degrees of softness and the handles are very well crafted. They are easily worth their retail price and perhaps a little more but I agree with every one else who has posted above that the extravagant prices are only because they are incredibly difficult to buy.

I would say currently my favorite brushes are Declaration with wiborg second. I have owned two separate varlet brushes and the knots are just as good and the handles well crafted but nothing was exciting about the brushes for me so I have traded them.

Would I buy another wiborg above retail? Yes. Why? I love the script and emblem on the bottom. I wish more brush makers etched their name on brushes. I also like certain colors that I cannot get in the other companies I have mentioned: lemon drop, lime and ebony. I mean if I could get those colors in either declaration or varlet I would probably let the rest of my wiborgs go, assuming I could recoup my cost.

Hope this helps a little.

0 101
 03-31-2018, 04:38 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
I originally bought 6 Wiborgs from Florian when he first got started.  He makes some beautiful handles there's no question.  The four Finest knots I had were definitely exceptional and everything I look for in a shaving brush.  Soft (gel -tipped), good backbone and excellent flow thru.  The Silvertip and Manchurian I had were both unique, but nothing I would use on a regular basis.  With the number of brush makers, and the quality of knots available today, I would have a hard time justifying spending twice the amount of money for a Wiborg, when I could get similar quality brush in a Paladin (or other).  This is how it was when M&F came on the scene. Everybody wants what they can't have.  I kinda laugh when I see my former Wiborg's pop up in the shave groups as they get traded/sold etc.  Although there are two that I was very fond of, I don't have any problems grabbing one of many other brushes Paladin/Declaration/Simpson.

63 701
 03-31-2018, 05:01 AM
User Info
I own one Wilborg and its a fine brush. Not the best one in my ever growing collection as I prefer pre Brad Sears M&F brushes by a fair margin.

0 203
 03-31-2018, 05:05 AM
User Info
(03-31-2018, 04:10 AM)vinnychampionmd Wrote: There are so many excellent brushes available now a days so that when I’m looking to buy a brush I’m looking for a hand turned handle and hand tied knot, preferably all done by the same brush maker.

I am almost certain Wiborg doesn't tie his own knots. I believe they are already made from from China.

In response to Steelman, like everyone else mentioned there are a number of brushes available for purchase that are on par with Wiborg.
I will mention alone brush however that doesn't get the praise it deserves, the Simpson two band SilverTip.. and yes the current production I am referring to. It's superior to all current production brushes I've tried so far (never tried a declaration)
Granted they are not cheap but they are available if you contact Mark from Simpson. There is also a couple available on his website. And with Simpson you are guaranteed to get an original hand turned handle and excellent hand tied knot.. for the record I never had a Simpson shed

20 880
 03-31-2018, 05:10 AM
User Info
I have heard some people say they think Florian does not tie his own knots and others say that he definitely does. I have no clue personally.

0 101
 03-31-2018, 07:17 AM
User Info
(03-30-2018, 04:16 PM)Steelman Wrote: I've owned many fine brushes. Never a Wiborg.

It seems this is the most desired brush on the B/S/T. More than Rooney Finest, M&F originals, Simpson Two band super (grey box), Varlet,etc.

Would be interested to hear from members who have used Wiborgs and have opinions on how they stack up to the established classics. Is it truly quality, or is it “the Chase” that makes them so desirable?

Would you give up your Rooney’s, Varlet’s  etc for a Wiborg?

owned one a couple years ago. fine brush but I was quite new to wet shaving.  compares favorably with newer ones but not significantly better imo.  my biggest sleeper is a atg le with unique hair that I love cause it keeps heat better than anything I own.

78 1,413
 03-31-2018, 07:19 AM
User Info
(03-31-2018, 07:17 AM)daveinsweethome Wrote:
(03-30-2018, 04:16 PM)Steelman Wrote: I've owned many fine brushes. Never a Wiborg.

Would you give up your Rooney’s, Varlet’s  etc for a Wiborg?

owned one a couple years ago. fine brush but I was quite new to wet shaving.  compares favorably with newer ones but not significantly better imo.  my biggest sleeper is a atg le with unique hair that I love cause it keeps heat better than anything I own.

I’ve heard those unique knots are amazing

0 101
 03-31-2018, 09:18 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
To me the Wiborg is an excellent 2 band that has the feel of a 3 band silvertip. I have a few Wiborgs, a few years ago I contacted Florian to order a few brushes, I asked him if he could add more density/backbone he told me he dosen't want to alter his knot. In my opinion the El Druida knot comes close to the Wiborg, what I mean is that it could be its little brother. As far as a great brush i'm a big fan of Paladin but you have to read up on the knot code and understand lot and free loft and what knot is being offered. 

Paladin offers brushes for sale but the knots may not be what you want, which means you will have to wait for the next new knot and handle offering. Or post on the WTB section the type of Pal brush your looking for.

54 653
 03-31-2018, 10:29 AM
User Info
(03-31-2018, 09:18 AM)bijou Wrote: To me the Wiborg is an excellent 2 band that has the feel of a 3 band silvertip. I have a few Wiborgs, a few years ago I contacted Florian to order a few brushes, I asked him if he could add more density/backbone he told me he dosen't want to alter his knot. In my opinion the El Druida knot comes close to the Wiborg, what I mean is that it could be its little brother. As far as a great brush i'm a big fan of Paladin but you have to read up on the knot code and understand lot and free loft and what knot is being offered. 

Paladin offers brushes for sale but the knots may not be what you want, which means you will have to wait for the next new knot and handle offering. Or post on the WTB section the type of Pal brush your looking for.

If you are still in regular communication with Mr. Arnold could you please ask him to respond to my emails. I would love to get a few brushes directly from him as I can no longer afford the second hand ones. Much appreciated.

0 101
 03-31-2018, 10:40 AM
User Info
When they were available they were not "so good "I remember I had a lot of problems for selling mine for the ridiculous price of 90 usd . " 30mm knot "

It's ridiculous to pay 400 usd .

8 1,844