03-31-2018, 07:30 AM
User Info
Good morning. Has anyone had luck with forming good lather using a synthetic brush and a vegan soap? If so, can you share any tips? I have a bought a couple of synthetics, none of them very pricey, but have not had much luck creating a good lather. If there are brush brands and models/soap combos that work, that would be great to know. Thanks, all.

0 11
 04-01-2018, 12:28 PM
User Info
More water and more water... that's pretty much it.
My maggard 30mm synthetic works pretty much like any other brush.

8 950
 04-01-2018, 04:07 PM
User Info
What soaps are you using?

8 452
 04-01-2018, 04:32 PM
User Info
I pour water on top of the soap and start by loading a completely dry sen brush. I then load until the water is all mixed in with the soap in the knot. Then face lathering starts and additional water is added to the lather. I have used this technique with hard tallow, Italian soft soaps veggie and tallow and normally with the floppy Plisson synthetic.

84 1,635
 04-02-2018, 03:24 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(04-01-2018, 04:07 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: What soaps are you using?

And what brush are you using?  Are you soaking your brush like you would with a badger or boar brush?

Lathering with a synthetic brush shouldn't be much different from lathering with a badger brush.

10 1,734
 04-02-2018, 04:23 AM
User Info
If anything lathering with a synthetic should be easier than any other type of brush. Try starting with a fairly wet brush and load a lot of product. Basically a lot of water and a lot of product.

5 1,801
 04-02-2018, 04:47 AM
User Info
Vegan soaps that work great for me: Soap Commander Integrity (unscented), Wholly Kaw vegan unscented, Southern Withcraft Incorporal (unscented).  I am not a vegan per se but these soaps have been great to my skin.

Brushes I use: Plisson synthetics (from France).  Also could buy equivalents at Fendrihans.com

Load for 30s and face lather.  Add water as you go.  You don't need to soak a synthetic but you need to find a balance where it does not have too much water.  A squeeze or two of water from the brush should be close.  If unsure use a bowl to build a lather.

0 10
 04-04-2018, 09:43 AM
  • johnz
  • Traverse City, MI
User Info
(03-31-2018, 07:30 AM)dkdonin Wrote: Good morning. Has anyone had luck with forming good lather using a synthetic brush and a vegan soap? If so, can you share any tips? I have a bought a couple of synthetics, none of them very pricey, but have not had much luck creating a good lather. If there are brush brands and models/soap combos that work, that would be great to know. Thanks, all.
HI dkdonin,  I have had good luck with all of my synthetics on vegan and nonvegan soaps.  My technique is to give my brush a short soak (unlike boar brushes which need a longer soak).  I then give my brush 3 good shakes leaving the brush damp not wet and then start swirling to get a good load of soap.  I suggest a minimum of 30 seconds of loading.Don't be afraid of loading too much.  I am a face latherer so I then paint a thin layer off quite dry soap all over my face.  I then start dipping the tips of my brush into water and start agitating the thin layer of soap on my face and lather starts forming.  You need to keep adding water by dipping the tips of the brush in water and continue agitating.  You will then start getting a lot of lather on your face.  When you get the lather the way you want it, in terms of consistency, start painting  the lather that has formed on your face to get a nice thick even coating and you are ready to shave.  They key is adding water and agitating. How much water and agitation you need  ultiimately depends on how thirsty the soap is and the consistency of the lather desired.  This technique works for me with all of my synthetic brushes and I have an Omega S Brush that cost me about $8 or $9 dollars.  I have synthetics that go from The Omega S Brush up to a couple that cost me around $50.00.  TurnNShave (on Etsy) makes a synthetic brush with a quartermoon knot that is a fantastic latherer. But really all of the synthetics I have tried (which are a lot) lather well given the proper technique. Best of luck in your lathering.

0 30
 04-08-2018, 10:30 AM
User Info
I've had good luck with PAA and vintage Trumper soaps and with all my Portuguese Creams (O Melhor, Top Secret, Veleiro, etc.) with my synthetic brushes.

13 226