04-02-2018, 07:11 AM
User Info
(04-01-2018, 02:43 AM)zipper Wrote: I have the SV 70th AS coming in the next few days too. Hope that's OK..... Sad

Bad things happen to the best people. That's me.... Tongue

Haha! Shaving Karma. Hope you left a review!

0 114
 04-02-2018, 10:02 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
If I could weigh-in for a moment.  I'm delighted to hear the maker is standing behind his brush.  That's expected.  

Looking at the knot, I doubt that too little adhesive was used.  Generally speaking, you want a very thin layer of adhesive--just enough to provide an even coating on the base of the socket.  That will create the strongest bond.  (That seems counter-intuitive, but it's the consistent message I hear from adhesive manufacturers' engineering staffs.  It also minimizes the chance of adhesive overflowing into the hair, which can ruin a knot faster than anything else I know of.)  The problem comes when the adhesive doesn't have something to hold on to.  Why is that?  It's because many (most?) knot plugs are smooth, even glossy.  So there's not much for the adhesive to grab onto.  From the photo, I would guess that's probably the case.  

Fortunately, there's a very simple solution, if you decide to keep the brush.  

I would first level the knot plug with a piece of 120-180 grit sandpaper.  That should not only remove the  remaining adhesive and--more importantly--give the new adhesive something to latch on to.  A little over-the-counter epoxy will do the trick.  You can go with marine epoxy, if you want, but I don't know that it's really necessary.  (Candid comment:  I use a high-grade commercial epoxy on our brushes, but I've also advised a number of folks who've experienced problems like yours and never had an issue.)

Hope that helps.

4 781
 04-02-2018, 11:22 AM
User Info
Thanks for your helpful commentary Brad.

53 8,226
 04-02-2018, 12:29 PM
User Info
Well, at 4:10 PM a return label was sent, followed by a call to apologize for the failure. I'm sending it back. A $20-$30 brush, I would probably just glue it back, but a $215.00 brush.
It has to go back. The seller is taking care of it and that makes me happy. Now, what to buy ? I'm thinking another Plisson.......... Rolleyes

0 799
 04-02-2018, 01:00 PM
User Info
(04-02-2018, 12:29 PM)zipper Wrote: Well, at 4:10 PM a return label was sent, followed by a call to apologize for the failure. I'm sending it back. A $20-$30 brush, I would probably just glue it back, but a $215.00 brush.
It has to go back. The seller is taking care of it and that makes me happy. Now, what to buy ? I'm thinking another Plisson.......... Rolleyes

A Plisson synthetic? Wink

83 1,607
 04-02-2018, 02:53 PM
User Info
(04-02-2018, 01:00 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote:
(04-02-2018, 12:29 PM)zipper Wrote: Well, at 4:10 PM a return label was sent, followed by a call to apologize for the failure. I'm sending it back. A $20-$30 brush, I would probably just glue it back, but a $215.00 brush.

A Plisson synthetic? Wink

Got one. Think I'll get the European White I think they call it. Not the Russian Grey. They have their own system for grading badger.

0 799
 07-02-2018, 03:10 AM
User Info
STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES... A6  I really liked this brush....soooo I ordered another one... Blush 
Can/will it fail again ? Only time will tell. Surely the same guy, same day, same epoxy batch or whatever, 
will not strike again... Rolleyes

0 799
 07-02-2018, 11:33 AM
User Info
(07-02-2018, 03:10 AM)zipper Wrote: STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES... A6  I really liked this brush....soooo I ordered another one... Blush 
Can/will it fail again ? Only time will tell. Surely the same guy, same day, same epoxy batch or whatever, 

I would hope that third time is the charm for you zipper. To have two separate is really unlucky. I also had a very high end Italian brush have the knot separate on me. I ended up keeping it instead of asking for a replacement as I loved the knot too much to risk getting something different. Did you buy the most recent one new or used? The picture in the acquisition thread looks great in regards to the knot.

83 1,607
 07-02-2018, 11:54 AM
User Info
(07-02-2018, 11:33 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote:
(07-02-2018, 03:10 AM)zipper Wrote: STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES... A6  I really liked this brush....soooo I ordered another one... Blush 

I would hope that third time is the charm for you zipper. To have two separate is really unlucky. I also had a very high end Italian brush have the knot separate on me. I ended up keeping it instead of asking for a replacement as I loved the knot too much to risk getting something different. Did you buy the most recent one new or used? The picture in the acquisition thread looks great in regards to the knot.

It's new. It's such a fantastic knot. The Ebony wood handles on the other two were so smooth and the grain of the Ebony was fine and tight. Just a great
brush except for that one problem.

0 799
 07-02-2018, 12:55 PM
User Info
shared a plane ride with a Rolls Royce dealer who told me Rolls Royce cars do not break down. He added they will fix anything anytime.

56 1,300
 07-02-2018, 02:15 PM
User Info
(07-02-2018, 12:55 PM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: shared a plane ride with a Rolls Royce dealer who told me Rolls Royce cars do not break down. He added they will fix anything anytime.

I've heard that. Partly why Col. T.E. Lawrence chose them as his armored cars.....but I don't think they took care of his repairs 
in the desert.... Wink 
[Image: 220px-Te_lawrence.jpg]

0 799
 07-05-2018, 06:52 AM
User Info
Well, the third "try" just arrived... W00t 
I'll be using it every day for the month of July I guess.... Confused 
Just as beautiful as the other two... Love 
[Image: CFv6PxC.jpg]

0 799
 08-06-2018, 05:33 PM
User Info
To update, I did not use it everyday in July...... Rolleyes 
But it looks like it's going to go the distance... Thumbsup 
It's a really great brush and has such "presence"...….. Winky 
I've lost two hairs, that's good for such a dense knot.

0 799
 08-06-2018, 05:37 PM
User Info
I'm glad the brush is fine this time, and that SV came through for you and took care of the problem.

53 8,226
 08-06-2018, 06:50 PM
User Info
(04-02-2018, 10:02 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote: If I could weigh-in for a moment.  I'm delighted to hear the maker is standing behind his brush.  That's expected.  

Looking at the knot, I doubt that too little adhesive was used.  Generally speaking, you want a very thin layer of adhesive--just enough to provide an even coating on the base of the socket.  That will create the strongest bond.  (That seems counter-intuitive, but it's the consistent message I hear from adhesive manufacturers' engineering staffs.  It also minimizes the chance of adhesive overflowing into the hair, which can ruin a knot faster than anything else I know of.)  The problem comes when the adhesive doesn't have something to hold on to.  Why is that?  It's because many (most?) knot plugs are smooth, even glossy.  So there's not much for the adhesive to grab onto.  From the photo, I would guess that's probably the case.  

Fortunately, there's a very simple solution, if you decide to keep the brush.  

I would first level the knot plug with a piece of 120-180 grit sandpaper.  That should not only remove the  remaining adhesive and--more importantly--give the new adhesive something to latch on to.  A little over-the-counter epoxy will do the trick.  You can go with marine epoxy, if you want, but I don't know that it's really necessary.  (Candid comment:  I use a high-grade commercial epoxy on our brushes, but I've also advised a number of folks who've experienced problems like yours and never had an issue.)

Hope that helps.

well done Brad.  I only get pepper out of my biggest brush. ha ha

78 1,429
 08-07-2018, 06:27 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Lots of good advice on reknotting. I've rebuilt 50 brushes using marine epoxy and it works a treat. Hope you enjoy your brushes.

0 309
 08-09-2018, 06:46 AM
User Info
Really pleased you decided to stick (no pun intended) with the SV brush. This is the first time I’ve seen anything regarding quality issues with their brushes. I’ve owned one for 18 months with no issues.

I’ve owned and used most of the high end brushes and the SV is still head and shoulders above the rest. I don’t like to use it all the time as I don’t want it to lose it’s ‘specialness’ (is that even a word?). I’m sure you know what I mean?   I have plans to buy another one soon.

Good luck with your brush and I hope you have many trouble free years together.

0 15